Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alexl25
    • By Alexl25 15th Jun 17, 3:00 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Alexl25
    Hmrc help...
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:00 PM
    Hmrc help... 15th Jun 17 at 3:00 PM
    Hello I'm hoping someone might be able to help me..

So I started a new part time job working in a shop around my young son 22 hours a week.. I made sure before I started my employer would do things legit which she promised. I get paid every Monday by bank transfer.. she says it's her accountant who does this so I believed it but She has text me late at night saying "she will" transfer the payment now ext, . I've also asked for wage slips for 8 weeks now to and still nothing so obviously Iam now suspicious as she used a lot of excuses why I have not had any yet..

So I spoke to HMRC last night and they have told me she has not confirmed me as a employer for her which she said she did and it's over the 35 days employers get, they have asked for me to keep any proof I have like bank statements And text messages stating when she said im Legit and Hmrc no about me. They have asked me to try get my PAYE number of her ... I asked and she said she will have to get it off her "accountant" who has had three different names now!

Obviously I do not want to work for someone who lies to me constantly.. does anyone know what will happen if she does not give the PAYE number, I know I will then have to report her like HMRC said.. but will it fall back on me and will I have to pay back the extra Tax credits I have had of them for 2 months? Iam due a payment Thursday also and really need it , Will I also get a 4 week run on still if she has not done things properly without me knowing ?

I know I will have to leave this job and I'm going to leave tommorow or Monday.. I deep down no she is BS'ing me about the PAYE number.

Sorry about the long story just worried about money ext now x
Page 1
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 15th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 8,821 Posts
    • 11,658 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    She sounds like a crook, sorry. Probably fiddling things left right & centre: If you don't get what you want in a few days resign & grass the little t*rd up to HMRC & DWP, please.

You can declare payments to you as self-employed income, but that gets much more complicated.
    • Alexl25
    • By Alexl25 15th Jun 17, 3:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Alexl25
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:32 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:32 PM
    Thankyou .. I thought so!

I have already mentioned her to HMRC and they said wait to see if I can get the PAYE number and I can call them up and put it through myself but Im not going to as I'm going to leave by Monday and it's not my job. Bloody bell was made redundant from my last job.. I have no luck ha. But yeah I even offered to do self employed at first and she insisted no X
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th Jun 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1,283 Posts
    • 1,401 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:49 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:49 PM
    I think it may be worth keeping records of your contact with HMRC, etc. Also keep your bank records to show lack of any wages, etc.
    If your contact with HMRC has been by phone, then note down date, time and the person you spoke to. You could follow up with a letter confirming this and the advice HMRC gave you. A copy of this correspondence may be important if (for instance) you need to claim JSA and need to explain why you resigned from this (non) job.

May be worth visiting your local CAB to see if there is any action you can take against her for "unlawful deduction of wages".
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/pay/problems-getting-paid/

TaxAid may be able to offer guidance - http://taxaid.org.uk/guides/taxpayers/tax-for-employees/problems-with-employers

?? Contact your MP, Trading Standards, report her for not paying minimum wage -
    https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage/worker-disputes-over-minimum-wage
    ???
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 15th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 4,421 Posts
    • 2,777 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    Don't declare your income as self employed. You aren't self employed so don't start making things up. You can't just decide to be employed or self employed to suit, employment status is based on the terms of the engagement.

It could potentially cause issues for tax credits as they can check the PAYE system for your employment and if can't trace any they may question it but as Alice suggests, keep records.

My best suggestion would be to find a new employer as you won't be getting your NI credits.
    • Alexl25
    • By Alexl25 15th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Alexl25
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    Thank you for your reply.

I know I wouldn't dare do that. I meant before I started I asked her would I be self employed or not and she said no she will sort it all ext for me and get her "accountant" to do everything. X
    • Alexl25
    • By Alexl25 15th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Alexl25
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    Yes thankyou, I have kept my bank statements and text messages as proof.

I will also note down the time and date I called Hmrc . However I did not get the mans name I spoke to but he did say he has put everything in the system to make HMRC aware I have called . He did say I have done the right thing and should not worry as I have some proof there.

Iam just glad it has only been two months ... and not any longer X
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 15th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    Alexl25

You should log onto your personal tax account on gov.uk as this will show details of any employer who is sending HMRC information about wages.

From what you say this employer won't show up but if they really are legit you would be able to see when they start to send details in.

New employees do have some leeway before they need to send details to HMRC as they cannot actually send anything until they have their unique employer reference details so if there is a bit of a delay in them applying for this and then HMRC are slow to provide it could easily take a few weeks before they can send their payroll details across to HMRC.
    • Alexl25
    • By Alexl25 16th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Alexl25
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    Hello , I have logged on and theire is nothing on there, Yes I know they said she needs to call up within 35 days but she still hasn't. I have asked her twice since Wednesday for the reference number and she says "she isn't home" or that "she needs to get it off the accountant" so I know she is making up excuses, otherwise she would just say she doesn't have one yet. X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,401Posts Today

8,625Users online

Martin's Twitter