Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 15th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    • 380Posts
    • 99Thanks
    kmb500
    how to avoid kerbing wheels?
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    how to avoid kerbing wheels? 15th Jun 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hi, I have a brand new car, have had it for 6 weeks now and I've just kerbed the 4th wheel. This is getting really annoying now! Reversing into tight parking spots at work and I just keep kerbing them. Im getting worried about how much I'll have to end up paying in 3 years time at the end of the lease due to them being damaged. I am just not used to reversing into parking spaces. Can anyone give me any advice how to stop doing this?

Also is it likely I will be recharged by my lease company at the end of the lease? does anyone know how much it costs to fix a kerbed alloy? thanks
Page 2
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Jun 17, 9:03 PM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Park at least 10inches from the kerb - that'll keep you safe..
    Originally posted by wymondham
    I'd say 20, just to be on the safe side.
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 15th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    Never parked against a curb since the day I passed my test, alloys are beautiful

Actually it's a lie, I'm now having to park against a curb in my new place of work, and I'm teased mercifully about how careful I am. Slow motion could possibly be faster then me parking, but hey ho, my alloys are perfect

I've been driving just 10 years and seriously I've always avoided kerb parking, preferring a car park and walking
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 15th Jun 17, 10:38 PM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 2,530 Thanks
    Robisere
    This. The mirrors only Golf are such that if I drop the right side down, the left one also drops. This means when I'm reversing, I can see where the wheels are going.

I will also reiterate the advice to go slow. I've kerbed my wheels several times (they've been refurbished twice!) and it's always when I'm in a hurry or not paying attention etc.
    Originally posted by d0nkeyk0ng
    Both of these.
    Learn to adjust your door mirrors down and watch for the kerb, keeping it paralell to the wheels. Once you get used to the routine, you will become a reverse parking zen master! Do the same in supermarkets and other car parks, as many times as possible, to make it a good habit. Just don't forget to adjust your door mirrors back to the best position for the road.

People do not use door mirrors enough IMO: I use mine all the time.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• ozmusafir
    • By ozmusafir 19th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ozmusafir
    Don't drive it.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 19th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 2,859 Posts
    • 6,461 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    ..I've been driving just 10 years and seriously I've always avoided kerb parking, preferring a car park and walking
    Originally posted by Cupcake Returns
    So you get dings and dents from careless door openers rather than scratched alloys.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 19th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    People do not use door mirrors enough IMO: I use mine all the time.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    I'll bet you've driven vans, lorries, or something else with restricted rear vision.
    I probably use the door mirrors as much as the interior one.
    • elverson
    • By elverson 19th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    elverson
    Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEyT56oldeY

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3UbEi4YDFA
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 19th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    All the suggestions seem to be that when parking next to a kerb, to avoid damaging your alloys, you need to be going really slow - crawling if you will. And that, your Honour, is the argument for the defence.
    Last edited by CardinalWolsey; 20-06-2017 at 8:01 AM.
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 22nd Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    MataNui
    Dont worry about it. Doesnt matter how careful you are at some point some !!!! spanner monkey will attack them with a metal tyre bar or even just drop them face down on the concrete workshop floor when you are having brake pads changed.

Only way you will keep them looking good is not to let anyone near them.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 22nd Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I agree with everyone who has said use the wing/door mirrors. Isn't this what you are meant to do?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,552Posts Today

4,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin