Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 15th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,132Posts
    • 1,693Thanks
    pearl123
    Black spot on rose in garden
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    Black spot on rose in garden 15th Jun 17 at 2:23 PM
    Hi
    I've got rather bad black spot on a pretty old looking rose.

However, i've got a bit of a dilemma i want to put in several new roses. Should I just cut down the diseased rose to the roots? Dig it out or treat it.
    I don't want the new roses to get contaminated.
    Any advice? I don't know a lot about roses.
Page 1
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 5,491 Posts
    • 6,693 Thanks
    Farway
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    Treat it. Black spot is everywhere in the air so no point removing the rose, your new ones will eventually get it without treatment, some varieties are more prone to it than others

You can help by clearing up old rose leaves nad removing very badly infected leaves

More here from RHS
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 15th Jun 17, 4:07 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    pearl123
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:07 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:07 PM
    Treat it. Black spot is everywhere in the air so no point removing the rose, your new ones will eventually get it without treatment, some varieties are more prone to it than others

You can help by clearing up old rose leaves nad removing very badly infected leaves

More here from RHS
    Originally posted by Farway
    Thank you. I didn't know it was in the air.
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 23rd Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 16,642 Thanks
    Misslayed
    • 23rd Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    I spray mine with Roseclear, that keeps it at bay. It's the older varieties that are more susceptible.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 23rd Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 23rd Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    I also spray my roses with Roseclear, which helps but doesn't eradicate the problem. Remember any diseased leaves should not go on the compost heap!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 23rd Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 3,566 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 23rd Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    I use Roseclear from first sign of growth and then repeat throughout season. I also spray the ground around the roots as the spores can lie on the ground.

Also feed with a proprietary rose food. A healthy rose can better withstand fungus and insect attacks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,323Posts Today

7,296Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin