Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 16Thanks
    evherkes
    Spoilt wedding Cake
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    Spoilt wedding Cake 15th Jun 17 at 2:20 PM
    Hi everyone,

So we've just had our wedding, which was amazing, however, the bottom tier of our cake collapsed and caused the other tiers to crack. I sent a balanced email to the cake maker:

I am just getting in touch with you following our wedding on DATE at VENUE. I wasn’t present when you arrived with the cake but was told by venue staff that the bottom tier collapsed and that you had accepted and acknowledged this and as a result the remaining three higher tiers were also all cracked and damaged as a result. I’ve attached the photos for your reference in which it shows cracks, damage and the icing shapeless in places. In addition, the largest tier was to be white chocolate and raspberry, however, from the tasting we attended at yours to the bottom tier (that in part was kept) was vastly different in taste and visually and in no way similar, the bottom tier we would compare and liken to a Victoria sponge. We chose the white chocolate and raspberry for our bottom tier as this was our favourite and feel thoroughly disappointed with the product received which does not give rise to our expectations having met and discussed the end product with you.

As I am sure you will understand a wedding is a huge, important and symbolic day for any couple and their family, as it only comes around once, and that as a result most couples (like us) paid out huge amounts for a photographer too in order to capture every possible moment of our day and worked hard to make sure that every little touch is how we want it.

We have been left feeling upset and disappointed about the cake, especially given the significance of the cake which is also used as a centrepiece, photo opportunity and symbolic with weddings so I am surprised that you have not been in touch with us since our wedding in order to seek a way forward on your thoughts to rectify this.

Please could I ask that you contact us in order to discuss a way that the above can be rectified as we recognise that it is important to address these issues with you directly in the first instance.

This is the response we've received:

I am really sorry for what has happened, I will attach the image to how it was decorated. Unfortunately because of the hot weather white transport the bottom tier collapsed. And because of the time short, I could not re do your cake. In such situations we would re decorate your cake . I am more than happy to refund you £80.00 as a compensation. This is the first time we have had this kind of situation.

The bottom tier was white chocolate and raspberry with white chocolate chunks covered in white chocolate ganache. Because of the weather being hot and causing the ganache to get very soft, could result in a different taste.

I deeply apologise for what has happened, and completely understand where you are coming from. As we were short of time , we could not redecorate the cake. I had gone back home to get all my decorating equipment and materials.

Please let me know if you are ok to accept a refund of £80.00 as a compensation for weather conditions causing the cake to collapse.

We paid £300 for our cake and this isn't even a third off. I'm really disappointed as every tier was spoilt as a result and the bottom tier (of what was saved) had no raspberries in it so in my eyes it isn't just "a change in flavour due to temperature". Our wedding was on Sunday morning so it was not above 20C by this time.

Could anyone kindly advise me on their thoughts around this?

Thank you,

Em
    Emily
Page 4
    • Lavendyr
    • By Lavendyr 16th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    Lavendyr
    Personally I think the cake looks awful and £80 is not enough of a refund. I'd suggest £150 i.e. half. A wedding cake is not all about the taste, believe it or not - it's about the look and the photos you will look back on for years to come. A professional cakemaker should be able to make and package a wedding cake sufficiently to protect against the weather and should respect that the cake is going to be a centrepiece in many photos (the "cutting of the cake" being a tradition).

OP I hope you get a reasonable resolution. Personally, from a negotiation stance I would go in slightly over what you hope to achieve, and then settle somewhere between their offer and yours. Hope it works out and many congratulations on your marriage.
    • notanewuser
    • By notanewuser 16th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 8,001 Posts
    • 13,909 Thanks
    notanewuser
    . A professional cakemaker should be able to make and package a wedding cake sufficiently to protect against the weather and should respect that the cake is going to be a centrepiece in many photos (the "cutting of the cake" being a tradition).

Originally posted by Lavendyr
    The OP should have contracted a professional cake maker if hats what they wanted.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 16th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 4,322 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Personally I think the cake looks awful and £80 is not enough of a refund. I'd suggest £150 i.e. half. A wedding cake is not all about the taste, believe it or not - it's about the look and the photos you will look back on for years to come. A professional cakemaker should be able to make and package a wedding cake sufficiently to protect against the weather and should respect that the cake is going to be a centrepiece in many photos (the "cutting of the cake" being a tradition).

OP I hope you get a reasonable resolution. Personally, from a negotiation stance I would go in slightly over what you hope to achieve, and then settle somewhere between their offer and yours. Hope it works out and many congratulations on your marriage.
    Originally posted by Lavendyr
    Personally I think the cake looks ok and a refund of £80 is perfectly reasonable.

This was not a professional cake maker, but a hobbyist. If you want a professional cake, you pay the going rate for a professional. Just like a pair of headphones from the £1 shop aren't going to look and perform the same as a pair of Beats/B&O etc headphones.

Take the £80, quit the fascination about the cake and enjoy your marriage.
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 16th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    Personally I think the cake looks ok and a refund of £80 is perfectly reasonable.

This was not a professional cake maker, but a hobbyist. If you want a professional cake, you pay the going rate for a professional. Just like a pair of headphones from the £1 shop aren't going to look and perform the same as a pair of Beats/B&O etc headphones.

Take the £80, quit the fascination about the cake and enjoy your marriage.
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    I agree, although feel I should point out that I have seen many cakes made by hobby bakers that are far superior to 'professionals'.

As I said though, I am sure OP would have seen the standard of work this person offered prior to the order and must have been happy with it.
    • OlliesDad
    • By OlliesDad 17th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    OlliesDad
    The OP should have contracted a professional cake maker if hats what they wanted.
    Originally posted by notanewuser

Can you explain how this was not a professional cake maker? People keep saying that this baker was not a professional one but nobody explains why. Brides magazine advise an average cost of a cake is £300 (although this is unlikely to be 4 tiers) so it doesn't seem like this baker was much cheaper.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 16,616 Posts
    • 41,671 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Can you explain how this was not a professional cake maker? People keep saying that this baker was not a professional one but nobody explains why. Brides magazine advise an average cost of a cake is £300 (although this is unlikely to be 4 tiers) so it doesn't seem like this baker was much cheaper.
    Originally posted by OlliesDad
    This whole thing has got very confusing because the OP started 2 threads on different boards.

This is what the OP posted:
    The baker only bakes cakes, an at home business with food safety and the ratings etc.
    Originally posted by evherkes
    when I asked this question:
    What is the background of the baker?
    Is it a 'bit-of-extra-money' side-line or is she a professional?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 17th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    • 18,108 Posts
    • 41,330 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Originally posted by OlliesDad
    This is a woman doing it as a hobby in her kitchen at home, not a professional cake making/decorating business.

Hence the lack of knowledge about transporting the cake. No professional cake maker would have transported a tiered cake ready assembled, it was never going to look good once it arrived even without the warm weather. The proportions are all wrong, the fondant work very clumsy and it looks like she used too much buttercream for the crumb coat.

And no, this cake maker wasn't much cheaper than a professional, they seem to be vastly overcharging for their level of expertise, but hey, it's a wedding, everyone hikes their prices up at the mention of the 'W' word.
    Last edited by peachyprice; 17-06-2017 at 9:42 AM.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 18th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 4,055 Thanks
    robatwork
    Just read the whole thread. Hopefully the OP will come back and let us know the outcome. The main impression I got was that the guests ate the cake, which is after all the main purpose of a cake. So no way is a full refund appropriate.

In fact as newlyweds they should have just laughed it off as one of those things that they will talk about in future.

I always find that wedding cakes end in tiers.
    • HB58
    • By HB58 20th Jun 17, 10:55 PM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 1,615 Thanks
    HB58
    OP, I'm sorry that you did not have the perfect day that you had planned for. I think many/most of us find that something goes awry on the big day simply because it is actually not possible for everything to be as special as we want it to be.

Looking back at my own wedding (more than 30 years ago) I am rather embarrassed at how finicky I was about things (and no, I was certainly not a 'Bridezilla'!) as I now can see things without the 'rose tinted glasses' that came with the wedding magazines.

The important thing is not the fripperies of the wedding day but the strength and stability of your marriage - I hope yours endures for many years to come.

I really think you should try and let go of this so that it does not poison your memory of your special day.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 21st Jun 17, 8:39 AM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    DoaM
    I always find that wedding cakes end in tiers.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    The door is that way -------------------------->

Get out!

Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Shoshannah
    • By Shoshannah 21st Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Shoshannah
    I'm absolutely craving cake now.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 21st Jun 17, 3:04 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Originally posted by notanewuser

I disagree -
    If hats are what they wanted then they should have contacted a professional milliner
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 21st Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I disagree -
    If hats are what they wanted then they should have contacted a professional milliner
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Then the Milliner could have consulted with a cake decorator to make this hat

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 21st Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ^^ Awesome
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 21st Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 7,647 Posts
    • 24,923 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I'm absolutely craving cake now.
    Originally posted by Shoshannah
    Me too. I could murder a slice of badly-iced sponge right now.
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 21st Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    I would not be happy with an £80 refund

I second the advice of a poster above - a wedding cake I more about the photos and the cutting of it etc, than the actual cake itself.

Therefore, as you couldn't get these things from the wedding cake your baker provided - it wasn't actually a wedding cake, but just a "normal" cake - for serving to people without them seeing the full cake.

M&S do wedding cakes - and the traditional wedding cakes for 4 layer would range between £98 to £130.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/l/food-to-order/wedding-cakes/wedding-cakes#lightboxQuick

As this is effectively what you had then I would want £200 back.
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 22/49 (3/12/16)

Restarted 8/05/17 - 41lbs to lose (Managed to put 1 stone on in 4 months!) Progress 6/41 (13/05/17)
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 21st Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    The cake maker charged for their services and supplied a cake, and even an invoice ..... they are therefore a professional.

Whether they are a very good one, or know how to run a business is another matter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,599Users online

Martin's Twitter