Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 16Thanks
    evherkes
    Spoilt wedding Cake
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    Spoilt wedding Cake 15th Jun 17 at 2:20 PM
    Hi everyone,

So we've just had our wedding, which was amazing, however, the bottom tier of our cake collapsed and caused the other tiers to crack. I sent a balanced email to the cake maker:

I am just getting in touch with you following our wedding on DATE at VENUE. I wasnít present when you arrived with the cake but was told by venue staff that the bottom tier collapsed and that you had accepted and acknowledged this and as a result the remaining three higher tiers were also all cracked and damaged as a result. Iíve attached the photos for your reference in which it shows cracks, damage and the icing shapeless in places. In addition, the largest tier was to be white chocolate and raspberry, however, from the tasting we attended at yours to the bottom tier (that in part was kept) was vastly different in taste and visually and in no way similar, the bottom tier we would compare and liken to a Victoria sponge. We chose the white chocolate and raspberry for our bottom tier as this was our favourite and feel thoroughly disappointed with the product received which does not give rise to our expectations having met and discussed the end product with you.

As I am sure you will understand a wedding is a huge, important and symbolic day for any couple and their family, as it only comes around once, and that as a result most couples (like us) paid out huge amounts for a photographer too in order to capture every possible moment of our day and worked hard to make sure that every little touch is how we want it.

We have been left feeling upset and disappointed about the cake, especially given the significance of the cake which is also used as a centrepiece, photo opportunity and symbolic with weddings so I am surprised that you have not been in touch with us since our wedding in order to seek a way forward on your thoughts to rectify this.

Please could I ask that you contact us in order to discuss a way that the above can be rectified as we recognise that it is important to address these issues with you directly in the first instance.

This is the response we've received:

I am really sorry for what has happened, I will attach the image to how it was decorated. Unfortunately because of the hot weather white transport the bottom tier collapsed. And because of the time short, I could not re do your cake. In such situations we would re decorate your cake . I am more than happy to refund you £80.00 as a compensation. This is the first time we have had this kind of situation.

The bottom tier was white chocolate and raspberry with white chocolate chunks covered in white chocolate ganache. Because of the weather being hot and causing the ganache to get very soft, could result in a different taste.

I deeply apologise for what has happened, and completely understand where you are coming from. As we were short of time , we could not redecorate the cake. I had gone back home to get all my decorating equipment and materials.

Please let me know if you are ok to accept a refund of £80.00 as a compensation for weather conditions causing the cake to collapse.

We paid £300 for our cake and this isn't even a third off. I'm really disappointed as every tier was spoilt as a result and the bottom tier (of what was saved) had no raspberries in it so in my eyes it isn't just "a change in flavour due to temperature". Our wedding was on Sunday morning so it was not above 20C by this time.

Could anyone kindly advise me on their thoughts around this?

Thank you,

Em
    Emily
Page 3
    • OlliesDad
    • By OlliesDad 16th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 1,763 Posts
    • 1,637 Thanks
    OlliesDad
    I agree, they way OP describes is the cake collapsed, all i see is it slightly leaning and the icing broke around where the supports were inserted.
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    But is it worth £220? I would suggest not.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 16th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    • 8,642 Posts
    • 15,530 Thanks
    calleyw
    I agree, they way OP describes is the cake collapsed, all i see is it slightly leaning and the icing broke around where the supports were inserted.
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    The top three of the tiers of the cake could have been used for photos for the cake cutting. As the photos focus on the bride and groom. So unless you got a microscope out to look at the photo no one would know.

they do look very amateurish to say the least. Have you not see any of their other work? I can't bake or ice a cake for toffee but even I know that is not good enough.

If you want to see some truly awful but also some amazing cakes look here http://www.cakewrecks.com/

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    But is it worth £220? I would suggest not.
    Originally posted by OlliesDad
    regardless of cost, the cake has not collapsed as the OP says on all 3 threads they have started on MSE
    The OP has changed the story in every thread. i think she just want people to agree with her and when we dont and offer advise she starts another thread hoping to get people to agree on these threads.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Don't forget the 3rd thread because the OP didn't like peoples responses!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5665001
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    I may get the popcorn out and wait for the 4th thread to appear when people again dont give her the answer she wants in thread 3
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 16th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 4,829 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    I think for the past 12-18 months you've been focussed on the wedding.

Now the wedding is out the way, you're trying to fill that void and have chosen to dedicate your spare time to pursuing this quest.

£80 is very reasonable. Take it and move on.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 18,581 Posts
    • 47,829 Thanks
    Pollycat
    OK, I've looked at the photos on the other website.

I can see your point about the bottom tier and I can see that the remaining 3 tiers aren't perfect.
    But I can't see why they weren't considered OK to show to friends & family and have photographs of you and your OH cutting it.
    But then again, I'm not viewing it with the eyes of a new bride.

You are obviously going to get a totally different set of opinions from a wedding-specific website.

I would go back to the supplier and express your disappointment about the fact that she didn't make contact with you but left you to complain to her as that is not a customer-first way to do business.

I would also bring up the subject of the fact that raspberries were missing in the bottom tier but were in the tasting session so it's not just an issue of the physical appearance of the cake..
    I'd point out that raspberries don't melt in hot weather.

Looking at the top 3 tiers I'd say that asking for a full refund isn't fair but maybe push for a 50% refund (£150) and be prepared to settle for £100.
    You need to think about what you are going to do if she won't budge.
    She may be reading what you've posted.
    Be very careful what you put into the public domain otherwise a duff wedding cake may be the least of your worries.

I know you've taken exception to some posters who've offered this advice - to move on - but I really would try to resolve this quickly otherwise it will sour your memories.

I worked with someone who had an issue with some of her wedding photographs.
    It consumed her from the moment she received them from the photographer and when anyone asked how the wedding had gone she didn't say what a lovely day it had been, it was a tirade about 'the photos'.
    She admitted to me months later that she wished she had let it go.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 16th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    LadyDee
    So, the gist of all these threads started by the OP is not "is the offer fair" but "what is the maximum I can get". My sympathy and understanding has dropped right down the scale. Carry on making a fuss and spoil all your memories or accept the offer and get on with your life.
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 16th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    SuperHan
    On seeing the pictures, I now take back my earlier comments.

The cake is not that bad that you couldn't still have done photos of the cake cutting etc, and a good enough photographer would have got a good angle and been able to edit out most of the flaws.

£80 seems reasonable.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 16th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    waamo
    If this is a professional baker shouldn't they have insurance for this kind of thing?
    This space for hire.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 18,581 Posts
    • 47,829 Thanks
    Pollycat
    If this is a professional baker shouldn't they have insurance for this kind of thing?
    Originally posted by waamo
    A post on one of the other threads - FTR not by the OP - refers to the cake maker as 'a hobby baker'.

The OP says on this thread:

The baker only bakes cakes, an at home business with food safety and the ratings etc.
    Originally posted by evherkes
    It really doesn't sound like a professional baker.

I've also read that she transported the cake ready assembled.
    Can you imagine driving anywhere with a 4 tier wedding cake in the back?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 16th Jun 17, 3:04 PM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    waamo
    A post on one of the other threads - FTR not by the OP - refers to the cake maker as 'a hobby baker'.

Originally posted by Pollycat
    If that's correct I wonder how much a professional baker would charge to do the job, well professionally?

If th OP were to take it as far as a small claim several factors would influence any award. Did the OP consume the cake? It sounds like they did so a full refund is a none starter, some value has been had from the cake. The OP would be expected, at minimum, to pay for the ingredients and overheads for the goods consumed.

Next the quality of work. Is this a professional working to a professional standard or an enthusiastic amateur? It's been suggested the latter.

In short oh dear.
    This space for hire.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 16th Jun 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 5,886 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    If that's correct I wonder how much a professional baker would charge to do the job, well professionally?
    I'm not sure which page of which thread but I'm sure someone posted a link to a professional wedding cake bake/designer that had a guide price of a four tier cake as £900 if I read it correctly. Therefor OP only paid a third if what a professional would charge to do the job.

I know a number of "hobby bakers" and the £300 for a wedding cake sounds about right for hobby level, although they to tend to be more elaborate designs.

A four tier cake isn't usually the norm is it? Every wedding I've ever been to has been 2-3 tiers, it is possible that the hobby baker has never done one before and didn't quite account for the extra weight and instability while travelling.

I agree that a partial refund should be due but after seeing the damage £80 should be more than enough.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 16th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    waamo
    Thanks Fosterdog. It puts things into perspective. Whilst terribly sad for the OP they chose to have an amateur do a job that required a professional.

If it was such a vital component of the wedding then it should have been done by a professional and an appropriate price paid.
    This space for hire.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 16th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 3,201 Posts
    • 8,857 Thanks
    LilElvis

If th OP were to take it as far as a small claim several factors would influence any award. Did the OP consume the cake? It sounds like they did so a full refund is a none starter, some value has been had from the cake. The OP would be expected, at minimum, to pay for the ingredients and overheads for the goods consumed.

Next the quality of work. Is this a professional working to a professional standard or an enthusiastic amateur? It's been suggested the latter.

In short oh dear.
    In one post the OP says that the cake was served as "desert" (the spelling made me remember it) which sounds as though the majority must have been consumed.

I live in the same area as the OP and there are no bricks and mortar shops that I've ever seen in Milton Keynes which would do custom wedding cakes. However she could have ordered a cake from Waitrose or Marks and Spencers (of which there are 3), either ready decorated or "plain" to decorate yourself.

I somehow doubt the OP will contribute further as we haven't been as "supportive" as the bridezilla forum, despite the fact that many of those who have responded here have been brides themselves.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jun 17, 4:07 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel

Originally posted by Pollycat

but the OP stated
    home business with food safety and the ratings etc.
    which would mean the baker registered with Local Authority as a professional baker otherwise they would not be food rated
    • OlliesDad
    • By OlliesDad 16th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,763 Posts
    • 1,637 Thanks
    OlliesDad
    I'm curious as to how this baker is not a professional? They charge a considerable sum for their services, they are registered with the local authorities.. It sounds like a professional to me.

What somebody else charges is irrelevant in the same way you can't say Ford aren't professional as Ferrari are 3 times the price. If the seller advised a price for a particular product then that's what they should have provided.

Again I will confirm though, I feel £80 is fair.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Another clue that reflects the price is

home business
    so they have no expensive commercial premises with all the overheads like rates, rent, utilities etc., so they can charge less, does not make them less professional.
    in the pics i would say it is clear the icing broke while remove all the supports
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 16th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 10,891 Posts
    • 22,812 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Thanks Fosterdog. It puts things into perspective. Whilst terribly sad for the OP they chose to have an amateur do a job that required a professional.

If it was such a vital component of the wedding then it should have been done by a professional and an appropriate price paid.
    I have to agree.

It looks like a very amateur job to me by an inexperienced person.
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 16th Jun 17, 5:32 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    I make cakes as a hobby (would have been professional if it wasn't for having to stop working completely) and after looking at the pics on the other site, I have to say that the standard of work isn't that great in general and is reflective of the £300 price tag for a four tier cake. Most of the cakers I know would charge probably at least £400 upwards depending on the details and decorations. The finish wasn't flawless for a start but as OP isn't complaining about that specifically, it's probably something they were aware of when ordering. As in they would have seen the standard of the caker's work prior to ordering.

I am on lots of cake groups and generally, as long as you're prepared, as in let the cake settle and set up for 24 hours prior to delivery, they're usually ok. I wouldn't transport 4 tiers stacked though, I would do it in 2 halves and assemble at the venue. All of this being said, I have seen a few occasions where accidents have happened and the cake has slipped and broken. Sadly it probably happens to the best of us as least once! (Still waiting for my turn)

Most people get the customer or venue to sign to say it was received ok and then the responsibility is transferred. In this case though, the caker has admitted it happened as her fault. As the cake was eaten and it was an accident, then I think the refund is 'ok'. If it was me, I probably would have offered slightly more based on the fact that the tier that was ruined and not right was the biggest tier and also that there was an element of it 'ruining the photos'. I would have probably offered £100 - £130. I do however, think the attitude of the caker in this case was a bit rubbish.
    Last edited by Anoneemoose; 16-06-2017 at 9:09 PM.
    • Lavendyr
    • By Lavendyr 16th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 2,040 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Lavendyr
    Personally I think the cake looks awful and £80 is not enough of a refund. I'd suggest £150 i.e. half. A wedding cake is not all about the taste, believe it or not - it's about the look and the photos you will look back on for years to come. A professional cakemaker should be able to make and package a wedding cake sufficiently to protect against the weather and should respect that the cake is going to be a centrepiece in many photos (the "cutting of the cake" being a tradition).

OP I hope you get a reasonable resolution. Personally, from a negotiation stance I would go in slightly over what you hope to achieve, and then settle somewhere between their offer and yours. Hope it works out and many congratulations on your marriage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,763Posts Today

6,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin