Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 16Thanks
    evherkes
    Spoilt wedding Cake
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    Spoilt wedding Cake 15th Jun 17 at 2:20 PM
    Hi everyone,

So we've just had our wedding, which was amazing, however, the bottom tier of our cake collapsed and caused the other tiers to crack. I sent a balanced email to the cake maker:

I am just getting in touch with you following our wedding on DATE at VENUE. I wasn’t present when you arrived with the cake but was told by venue staff that the bottom tier collapsed and that you had accepted and acknowledged this and as a result the remaining three higher tiers were also all cracked and damaged as a result. I’ve attached the photos for your reference in which it shows cracks, damage and the icing shapeless in places. In addition, the largest tier was to be white chocolate and raspberry, however, from the tasting we attended at yours to the bottom tier (that in part was kept) was vastly different in taste and visually and in no way similar, the bottom tier we would compare and liken to a Victoria sponge. We chose the white chocolate and raspberry for our bottom tier as this was our favourite and feel thoroughly disappointed with the product received which does not give rise to our expectations having met and discussed the end product with you.

As I am sure you will understand a wedding is a huge, important and symbolic day for any couple and their family, as it only comes around once, and that as a result most couples (like us) paid out huge amounts for a photographer too in order to capture every possible moment of our day and worked hard to make sure that every little touch is how we want it.

We have been left feeling upset and disappointed about the cake, especially given the significance of the cake which is also used as a centrepiece, photo opportunity and symbolic with weddings so I am surprised that you have not been in touch with us since our wedding in order to seek a way forward on your thoughts to rectify this.

Please could I ask that you contact us in order to discuss a way that the above can be rectified as we recognise that it is important to address these issues with you directly in the first instance.

This is the response we've received:

I am really sorry for what has happened, I will attach the image to how it was decorated. Unfortunately because of the hot weather white transport the bottom tier collapsed. And because of the time short, I could not re do your cake. In such situations we would re decorate your cake . I am more than happy to refund you £80.00 as a compensation. This is the first time we have had this kind of situation.

The bottom tier was white chocolate and raspberry with white chocolate chunks covered in white chocolate ganache. Because of the weather being hot and causing the ganache to get very soft, could result in a different taste.

I deeply apologise for what has happened, and completely understand where you are coming from. As we were short of time , we could not redecorate the cake. I had gone back home to get all my decorating equipment and materials.

Please let me know if you are ok to accept a refund of £80.00 as a compensation for weather conditions causing the cake to collapse.

We paid £300 for our cake and this isn't even a third off. I'm really disappointed as every tier was spoilt as a result and the bottom tier (of what was saved) had no raspberries in it so in my eyes it isn't just "a change in flavour due to temperature". Our wedding was on Sunday morning so it was not above 20C by this time.

Could anyone kindly advise me on their thoughts around this?

Thank you,

Em
    Emily
Page 2
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 15th Jun 17, 5:35 PM
    • 5,245 Posts
    • 5,878 Thanks
    lovinituk
    OK, here is some practical advice...

If you don't agree with the £80 you ask for more.
    If they refuse your request for a higher amount you then either choose to accept the £80 or not.
    If not, then you issue a Letter Before Action stating that if they don't refund you £x by a date (give them 30 days is fair) you will take legal action.
    If they still don't pay, issue a small claim through MCOL.
    If they still don't pay, then hope the judge is sympathetic to you.
    You might be seen as unreasonable for not accepting the offer for £80.
    You might get your £80 or less and be stung with your claim fees.
    You might get lucky and be awarded more plus your fees.
    The cake maker might pay up at that point.
    The cake maker might, out of spite, not pay and then you will have request the court to issue a CCJ and then try and get bailiffs to retrieve some or all of the money you are owed. They might not get anything back.

Now my opinion....

Ask for a higher amount if that's what you want but if they say no then accept the £80. Its far less hassle than the alternative.
    The following is my forum signature and not necessarily a response to your post:
    "To be truly successful you must live a few years of your life like others won’t so you may live the rest of your life like others can’t"
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 15th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 2,404 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I've just spoken to a friend of mine who is a professional cake maker and asked her opinion.

She feels that really £80 is a pretty fair offer for a £300 cake. Icing is always going to be a problem in hot weather, especially if the cake is transported by car and unless you have a written contract concerning the flavour it will be very difficult to prove it was materially different.

I'm sure you were quite disappointed but don't let this tiny part of the wedding spoil your memories of your special day. Not one of your guests will have enjoyed the day any less because of the cake mishap.

You could just ask the baker if he would perhaps consider being a little more generous as the cake does form a central part of your day, but quite honestly, if I were in your position I'd make one attempt to get a better offer and if it wasn't forthcoming just accept the £80 and let it go.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 15th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 12,956 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    paddyrg
    "not even a third" is still "comfortably over a quarter" - it's a good offer. Even if they gave you an extra £20 it wouldn't change anything - you had a wedding, guests came and celebrated, cake was eaten.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 15th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 22,421 Posts
    • 55,872 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    You could just ask the baker if he would perhaps consider being a little more generous as the cake does form a central part of your day and, due to the collapse of the tiers, you were unable to be photographed ceremonially cutting the cake; but quite honestly, if I were in your position I'd make one attempt to get a better offer and if it wasn't forthcoming just accept the £80 and let it go.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    Added my opinion in blue above. A significant part of the wedding day ceremony could not happen.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jun 17, 6:13 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Added my opinion in blue above. A significant part of the wedding day ceremony could not happen.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    but the OP still had a cake and the guests ate it.
    The baker could have just walked away with the cake after it collapsed and then what would the OP have done them, expected the baker to wave a magic wand and have a new cake baked and decorated their and then.
    Maybe someone from the wedding party should have been present when the cake was delivered and rejected it and the OP would have been in a better position to claim more money, but as it is they had a cake and served the cake and ate the cake, so the cake was accepted in its condition
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 15th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 2,404 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    OK, I take your point, but honestly this is the sort of dispute that could spiral out of ccontrol, causing the OP additional upset and distress, and the only outcome would be monetary - it can't replace a photograph of her cutting the cake can it?

Well, the OP has received quite a few opinions and no doubt will now make up her mind what route she wants to take.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 15th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 3,921 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    Icing is always going to be a problem in hot weather, especially if the cake is transported by car
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    Should it be a problem though?

Being the devil's advocate here, I think that if I were paying for the professional baking and transport of a cake on a hot day, I would expect the baker to have invested in a cool box or made their own insulated carrier.

They can't do much about the environmental conditions of the venue but it's their responsibility to at least get it there safely, not just shrug and say sorry, it's a hot day.
    Last edited by Quizzical Squirrel; 15-06-2017 at 6:34 PM.
    • photome
    • By photome 15th Jun 17, 7:04 PM
    • 12,415 Posts
    • 7,932 Thanks
    photome
    Cake was desert so they were given slices from the tiers above (without seeing the cake prior) and there were no photos of the cake cutting etc as was planned.
    I'd have liked the maker to contact me without me having to initiate to even get an apology. I feel more than £80 on the basis that I did not get what I paid for, was discussed and agreed and did everything that I was supposed to have done as the customer. My reason for posting was to see if others had the same and whether they felt there was too much emotion and that £80 was enough or whether £80 was a fobbing off (afterall I've not been married before and never had a damaged a cake or ordered one like this before) so was unaware of what processes would be.
    Originally posted by evherkes
    I asked earlier , what is it you want from the maker. Whatever that is go back and ask for it, but whatever you get is it going to make you feel better. IMO £80 seems fair, if it was £150 would that be enough
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 15th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 2,811 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    How about the money offered and a remake of the cake with the top tier edible, the rest being mock-ups? You'd get photos of the cake and get to eat it should have been served with enough to share with immediate family. I would consider that fair.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Depends a bit on the cake, but I'm not sure the baker would consider it fair. Surprisingly, mock ups aren't much cheaper than actual cake. That's because most of the time goes in to the decorating rather than baking, and some of the ingredient saving goes into buying the dummy.
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • meer53
    • By meer53 15th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    • 8,729 Posts
    • 12,678 Thanks
    meer53
    On another note, how does a sponge cake as the first tier hold up a further 3 tiers ? Surely it should have been something more substantial to take the weight ?
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 15th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 2,811 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    On another note, how does a sponge cake as the first tier hold up a further 3 tiers ? Surely it should have been something more substantial to take the weight ?
    Originally posted by meer53
    It doesn't - you can put in dowels or other support systems so each cake just supports its own weight, and the dowels+boards take the weight of the upper tiers.
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Jun 17, 8:33 AM
    • 16,619 Posts
    • 41,673 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The 2 threads started by the OP (this one and the one on the 'Marriages' board) should be merged (not sure where this particular thread started out but it was moved to this board).

Has the OP posted any photos so that we can see the actual cake and how bad (or not) it actually looked?

The OP says she wants more than the £80 offered but hasn't said how much they feel is appropriate.

I've never had to order or dispute a cake or personalised food order, or been married before, so I do not know what is acceptable. I'm sure I've identified or suggested at least once why I have posted this in the first place but basically as you would get quotes to compare or anything else, I'm seeking others "quotes" for whether the baker is being reasonable or not in their offer.
    Without seeing how bad it really was, nobody can give you 'quotes' - or even opinions - that are reasonable in the circumstances.

Have you asked your new husband (or wife) for an opinion on whether they think the £80 offered by the supplier is reasonable or not?

I'm not sure if anyone has picked up on this but the OP also had an issue with the taste of the lower tier.
    They've complained that there were no raspberries (in a white chocolate & raspberry cake). But did the brief say there would be raspberries in or just raspberry essence? Were there raspberries in when they did the taste testing?

What is the background of the baker?
    Is it a 'bit-of-extra-money' side-line or is she a professional?

If the cake was as bad as the OP makes out, I do think the supplier was wrong to just leave the cake and not get in touch to offer apologies and a partial refund.
    But this makes me wonder just how bad the damage actually was.
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 16th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    • 1,898 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    SuperHan
    Normally I would agree you had your cake and ate it, but playing devil's advocate here I'd suggest the OP didn't buy the cake for people to eat.

I could buy a cake to feed people for significantly less than £300 (obviously depending on how many people) - so what was the OP paying extra for? The aesthetics and photo opportunity I would imagine.

On that basis, the OP should consider how cheaply they could have got a decent cake to feed the same number of people. It would not be unreasonable to ask the baker for a refund of the difference given that it would have been the baker's responsibility to delivery an aesthetically pleasing cake.

It may be however that the difference is just £80, in which case the offer would be reasonable.
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 16th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    evherkes
    Thanks for your replies. My husband wants the whole lot back because he saw it as a "big part" of the day, I on the other hand felt half would be justifiable as we did eat what was saved but no-one saw it before. I cannot upload pictures as work computers ban photo sharing sites. It was horrific but the outer icing had cracks and was misshapen all the way around and the bottom tier looked like it had been trodden on!

The baker only bakes cakes, an at home business with food safety and the ratings etc.

The flavours were written on the invoice which we paid by bank transfer and the tasting we had, had actual pieces of raspberry in it and chocolate chips (a bit like a cookie or muffin) but the bottom tier (or what the venue kept) although squashed, had not a single piece of raspberry in it, grated the white choc chips may have "melted" although it was not that hot, and raspberries do not melt and turn invisible in the heat so that is inexplicable.

I'm going to reason with the husband with asking for half in the hope she will accept at least £100 which we can put towards some of the costs of our day...
    Emily
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    • 756 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Thanks for your replies. My husband wants the whole lot back because he saw it as a "big part" of the day, I on the other hand felt half would be justifiable as we did eat what was saved but no-one saw it before. I cannot upload pictures as work computers ban photo sharing sites. It was horrific but the outer icing had cracks and was misshapen all the way around and the bottom tier looked like it had been trodden on!

The baker only bakes cakes, an at home business with food safety and the ratings etc.

The flavours were written on the invoice which we paid by bank transfer and the tasting we had, had actual pieces of raspberry in it and chocolate chips (a bit like a cookie or muffin) but the bottom tier (or what the venue kept) although squashed, had not a single piece of raspberry in it, grated the white choc chips may have "melted" although it was not that hot, and raspberries do not melt and turn invisible in the heat so that is inexplicable.

I'm going to reason with the husband with asking for half in the hope she will accept at least £100 which we can put towards some of the costs of our day...
    can i ask why did you open 2 threads on this, were you hoping people would tell you what you wanted to hear and when they never did on the other thread you started this one thinking it would be different.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 16th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 4,322 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Cake doesn't look no-where near as bad as you describe!

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/general-chat/spoilt-cake/441237.html
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    angryparcel

Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    I agree, they way OP describes is the cake collapsed, all i see is it slightly leaning and the icing broke around where the supports were inserted.
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 16th Jun 17, 12:13 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 902 Thanks
    LABMAN

Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    It's not that bad. OP take the £80 and move on!
    Je suis Parisien
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 16th Jun 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 4,322 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Some of the replies on the wedding forum made me chuckle! Talk of a full refund and compensation for damages!
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 16th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 4,322 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    can i ask why did you open 2 threads on this, were you hoping people would tell you what you wanted to hear and when they never did on the other thread you started this one thinking it would be different.
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    Don't forget the 3rd thread because the OP didn't like peoples responses!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5665001
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

666Posts Today

6,282Users online

Martin's Twitter