Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tinkerbell62
    • By Tinkerbell62 15th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tinkerbell62
    Can you change standing order date for rent?
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    Can you change standing order date for rent? 15th Jun 17 at 2:20 PM
    Hi

We really need to change the date that our rent comes out, it comes out by standing order, that I set up through my internet banking, on the 21st of every month, but we could do with changing it to the 24th so that I get paid before it comes out as it really messes our finances up coming out before. The Estate Agent said I cannot do this in the 1st 6 months, and after 6 months i can pay them £75!!!! to change the payment date set out in the tenancy agreement. This seems unreasonable to me, is there not anyway i can just change it?!
    Thanks
Page 1
    • aneary
    • By aneary 15th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    aneary
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    You can just change it but your rent will be late each month.

Who does the rent go to? The agent of the landlord?
    • Tinkerbell62
    • By Tinkerbell62 15th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tinkerbell62
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    Thanks for your reply, it goes to the landlord
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 15th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    What does the tenancy agreement say exactly about the payment date? In general, you can move it earlier, but not later - so you might be able to pay, e.g. 21 June, 24 June, 24 July, 24 August (though this isn't a great option). Or you can set up a separate account which the money comes in to on a date that suits you, and out on the 21st, to help with budgeting (so long as you set it up in such a way that you don't miss a month). This does require enough savings to effectively double pay on the month you change though, so might not work for you.

There's no general right to pay late if your contract specifies it should be paid on the 21st, and consistent late payment can be grounds for eviction.
    • Tinkerbell62
    • By Tinkerbell62 15th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tinkerbell62
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    Thank you, wonder if its worth speaking directly to the landlord
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 15th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    your contract states a date when the rent should be paid

in theory that actually means the date the landlord receives the money into their bank account, not the date it left yours (although that distinction is less important now with so many payments automatically being faster payments)

the payment date may well have been chosen by the LL because it ties in with the timescale they have to pay their own mortgage. Hence you cannot unilaterally change the date you make the payment

the agent's £75 charge is a red herring, it is just the agent smelling the opportunity to charge a fee for the sake of a fee. However they are correct that under the terms of your contract you cannot alter the payment date unless you agree a new contract or the LL agrees to vary the current one.

as said above, you can of course change the payment date at your bank, but don't so will mean you are a late payer and could have (significant) repercussions depending on how upset your LL is

wonder if its worth speaking directly to the landlord
    Originally posted by Tinkerbell62
    it is your only sensible course of action...
    • aneary
    • By aneary 15th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    aneary
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    As the money goes straight to the landlord I would speak to him/her to find out if they are okay with the 24th and cut out the agent to avoid the fee.

However they may have 24th set due to a mortgage and they are unlikely to change for you.

I have two bank accounts, I calculate all my bills +£50 that is transferred to my second account as soon as I'm paid and all my DDs go out of that account. I then know that what's in my current account I can spend.
    • Mossfarr
    • By Mossfarr 15th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Mossfarr
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    In my experience (as a landlord) your payment date is set by the commencement date of your tenancy, nothing to do with the Landlords mortgage commitments.
    Just ask the landlord directly (in writing) if you can change the payment date - do not involve the agent. Most Landlords will happy to change the payment date - a few days really shouldn't make any difference to them.
    Most will just be grateful that you have actually asked!
    • itchyfeet123
    • By itchyfeet123 15th Jun 17, 4:37 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    itchyfeet123
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:37 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:37 PM
    The cover letter I got with my lease told me to set up a standing order for the 26th of the month to ensure that rent was paid on time by the 30th. I never set up a standing order; instead, I do an instant payment on the 30th. If the 21st was chosen for similar reasons, you might find you can pay on the 24th and still be paying on time - check your lease to see when the rent has to be received by.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin