Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 16Thanks
    evherkes
    Spoilt Cake
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    Spoilt Cake 15th Jun 17 at 2:14 PM
    Hi everyone,

So we've just had our wedding, which was amazing, however, the bottom tier of our cake collapsed and caused the other tiers to crack. I sent a balanced email to the cake maker:

I am just getting in touch with you following our wedding on DATE at VENUE. I wasn’t present when you arrived with the cake but was told by venue staff that the bottom tier collapsed and that you had accepted and acknowledged this and as a result the remaining three higher tiers were also all cracked and damaged as a result. I’ve attached the photos for your reference in which it shows cracks, damage and the icing shapeless in places. In addition, the largest tier was to be white chocolate and raspberry, however, from the tasting we attended at yours to the bottom tier (that in part was kept) was vastly different in taste and visually and in no way similar, the bottom tier we would compare and liken to a Victoria sponge. We chose the white chocolate and raspberry for our bottom tier as this was our favourite and feel thoroughly disappointed with the product received which does not give rise to our expectations having met and discussed the end product with you.

As I am sure you will understand a wedding is a huge, important and symbolic day for any couple and their family, as it only comes around once, and that as a result most couples (like us) paid out huge amounts for a photographer too in order to capture every possible moment of our day and worked hard to make sure that every little touch is how we want it.

We have been left feeling upset and disappointed about the cake, especially given the significance of the cake which is also used as a centrepiece, photo opportunity and symbolic with weddings so I am surprised that you have not been in touch with us since our wedding in order to seek a way forward on your thoughts to rectify this.

Please could I ask that you contact us in order to discuss a way that the above can be rectified as we recognise that it is important to address these issues with you directly in the first instance.

This is the response we've received:

I am really sorry for what has happened, I will attach the image to how it was decorated. Unfortunately because of the hot weather white transport the bottom tier collapsed. And because of the time short, I could not re do your cake. In such situations we would re decorate your cake . I am more than happy to refund you £80.00 as a compensation. This is the first time we have had this kind of situation.

The bottom tier was white chocolate and raspberry with white chocolate chunks covered in white chocolate ganache. Because of the weather being hot and causing the ganache to get very soft, could result in a different taste.

I deeply apologise for what has happened, and completely understand where you are coming from. As we were short of time , we could not redecorate the cake. I had gone back home to get all my decorating equipment and materials.

Please let me know if you are ok to accept a refund of £80.00 as a compensation for weather conditions causing the cake to collapse.

We paid £300 for our cake and this isn't even a third off. I'm really disappointed as every tier was spoilt as a result and the bottom tier (of what was saved) had no raspberries in it so in my eyes it isn't just "a change in flavour due to temperature". Our wedding was on Sunday morning so it was not above 20C by this time.

Could anyone kindly advise me on their thoughts around this?

Thank you,

Em
    Emily
Page 8
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 30th Jun 17, 10:12 PM
    • 4,470 Posts
    • 6,019 Thanks
    74jax
    LOL - one man's meat and all that - I think that is beyond hideous.
    Originally posted by readingfan
    So why waste your time posting
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • takman
    • By takman 1st Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    takman
    Originally posted by 74jax
    So considering that you didn't say that to people who liked the cake your saying that if you don't like something then it's a waste of time to post about it online?

I think giving a positive or negative opinion are both valid responses and both just as much a "waste of time" as each other.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 1st Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 17,382 Posts
    • 44,271 Thanks
    Pollycat
    So considering that you didn't say that to people who liked the cake your saying that if you don't like something then it's a waste of time to post about it online?

I think giving a positive or negative opinion are both valid responses and both just as much a "waste of time" as each other.
    Originally posted by takman
    And as the poster said:
    one man's meat and all that - I think that is beyond hideous.
    I expressed my opinion:
    Too fussy for me too - and I can't imagine how you'd go about cutting them - but I can appreciate the skill.

The detail on the Eros cake - especially the pomegranate - is gob-smacking.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 1st Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    suejb2
    Cake
    Originally posted by 74jax

Love the irony going on here
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • annie_d
    • By annie_d 1st Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    annie_d
    A very similar thing happened to us on our wedding day. It's only cake. Let it go.
    • Guineapigsqueaks
    • By Guineapigsqueaks 2nd Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 2,350 Thanks
    Guineapigsqueaks
    I got married in Cyprus. Wasn't fussed about a cake, but my Mum arranged one last minute for us when we got over there. It was a two tier chocolate affair that looked increasingly like the leaning tower of Pisa due to the heat. It was a source of great amusement and we saved it just before collapse. I'm told it was delicious, I didn't have any myself as it was covered in nuts and I have a nut allergy . I still remember that cake with fondness.
    Last edited by Guineapigsqueaks; 02-07-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Keep Smiling
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 2nd Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 3,003 Thanks
    Loz01
    300 quid for a cake???? Jesus when I get married Im just gonna buy some m&s cakes or bake my own lmao. No way would I drop 300 quid on a cake.
    An apple a day keeps anyone away if you throw it hard enough
    • Soundgirlrocks
    • By Soundgirlrocks 3rd Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 628 Thanks
    Soundgirlrocks
    OP if you are still there, as a baker myself the standard of cake is awful and very amateur. The price is in the ballpark for 4 tiers of a very simplistic design, but I would expect much higher standard of work. All stacked cakes need dowel supports and should where ever possible not be transported stacked (some novelty cakes this isn't possible and that should be factored into the design, distance & price) The ganache and the temperature is a distraction, a properly supported cake won't collapse (its the internal structure takes the weight.

To others who are saying this is what you get with amateur bakers pay a pro - a lot of professional cake artists work from home. I have a sideline doing novelty & wedding cakes and would be horrified to turn out something so poor, the base board hasn't even been covered!

The things you need to check are:

Examples previous cakes?
    Reviews and recommendation, are they happy to put you in touch with previous clients?
    Are they fully insured?
    Are they a member of the British Sugar Craft Guild?
    Are they happy to provide tasting samples?
    How long have they been making cakes?
    Do they enter competitions /exhibit?

Any experienced baker travels with a touch up kit & a back up plan (I've heard enough horror stories of venues destroying cakes) And sets up with sufficient time to fix any issues caused in transportation.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 4th Jul 17, 4:06 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 2,144 Thanks
    Richard53
    300 quid for a cake???? Jesus when I get married Im just gonna buy some m&s cakes or bake my own lmao. No way would I drop 300 quid on a cake.
    Originally posted by Loz01
    I was going to say something similar. When I got married (2nd time for both of us, and neither likes a fuss), we got the whole thing - ceremony, reception, drinks, cake - for under £200. Absolute bargain! Of course, a lot of that was mates' rates (the reception venue was owned by friends and my wife made the cake - she was another hobbyist baker, but to a much higher standard than this one), but it still appals me how much people will spend on a single day. £10k and up on a wedding when you can't afford a deposit on a house is madness.

Part of me is thinking 'First World problems', but the OP has a right to a decent product for her money, and to me it looks very crude and poorly-finished for £300. I'd say ask for a 50% refund, take the hubby out for a nice meal, and move on. If it's prominent in the photos, you could still be laughing about 'that awful cake' in 50 years' time. Lemons to lemonade, and all that.

Don't post awful stuff on social media to get your own back, as this could look vindictive.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 6th Jul 17, 10:13 PM
    • 2,942 Posts
    • 5,502 Thanks
    warehouse
    To give my opinion on this incredible (!) cake.
    It seemed to collapse like a championship football team when the weather warmed up!
    Pants
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,938Posts Today

9,360Users online

Martin's Twitter