Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 16Thanks
    evherkes
    Spoilt Cake
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    Spoilt Cake 15th Jun 17 at 2:14 PM
    Hi everyone,

So we've just had our wedding, which was amazing, however, the bottom tier of our cake collapsed and caused the other tiers to crack. I sent a balanced email to the cake maker:

I am just getting in touch with you following our wedding on DATE at VENUE. I wasn’t present when you arrived with the cake but was told by venue staff that the bottom tier collapsed and that you had accepted and acknowledged this and as a result the remaining three higher tiers were also all cracked and damaged as a result. I’ve attached the photos for your reference in which it shows cracks, damage and the icing shapeless in places. In addition, the largest tier was to be white chocolate and raspberry, however, from the tasting we attended at yours to the bottom tier (that in part was kept) was vastly different in taste and visually and in no way similar, the bottom tier we would compare and liken to a Victoria sponge. We chose the white chocolate and raspberry for our bottom tier as this was our favourite and feel thoroughly disappointed with the product received which does not give rise to our expectations having met and discussed the end product with you.

As I am sure you will understand a wedding is a huge, important and symbolic day for any couple and their family, as it only comes around once, and that as a result most couples (like us) paid out huge amounts for a photographer too in order to capture every possible moment of our day and worked hard to make sure that every little touch is how we want it.

We have been left feeling upset and disappointed about the cake, especially given the significance of the cake which is also used as a centrepiece, photo opportunity and symbolic with weddings so I am surprised that you have not been in touch with us since our wedding in order to seek a way forward on your thoughts to rectify this.

Please could I ask that you contact us in order to discuss a way that the above can be rectified as we recognise that it is important to address these issues with you directly in the first instance.

This is the response we've received:

I am really sorry for what has happened, I will attach the image to how it was decorated. Unfortunately because of the hot weather white transport the bottom tier collapsed. And because of the time short, I could not re do your cake. In such situations we would re decorate your cake . I am more than happy to refund you £80.00 as a compensation. This is the first time we have had this kind of situation.

The bottom tier was white chocolate and raspberry with white chocolate chunks covered in white chocolate ganache. Because of the weather being hot and causing the ganache to get very soft, could result in a different taste.

I deeply apologise for what has happened, and completely understand where you are coming from. As we were short of time , we could not redecorate the cake. I had gone back home to get all my decorating equipment and materials.

Please let me know if you are ok to accept a refund of £80.00 as a compensation for weather conditions causing the cake to collapse.

We paid £300 for our cake and this isn't even a third off. I'm really disappointed as every tier was spoilt as a result and the bottom tier (of what was saved) had no raspberries in it so in my eyes it isn't just "a change in flavour due to temperature". Our wedding was on Sunday morning so it was not above 20C by this time.

Could anyone kindly advise me on their thoughts around this?

Thank you,

Em
    Emily
Page 8
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 19th Jun 17, 2:18 PM
    • 5,544 Posts
    • 7,263 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    £300 for a cake?? I'm in the wrong job..!
    Originally posted by Clowns and Jugglers
    I made one tier of the cake or my sister's wedding - it cost me around £40 just for the ingredients. admittedly that was a fruit cake, so more expensive than if you have sponge. but I would guess for a professional baker there is more pressure if it is not a fruit cake, as they don't keep as well so you have to make it closer to the time and with less chance to correct errors, and of course fruitcake is much better as a construction material if you want something that will bear the weight of your cieing and decoration!

Obviously I wasn't charging my sister andbrother in law, but if you were doing it professionally, you'd factor in the cost of your time and equipment as well as the ingredients, plus a margin for profit, and it adds up pretty fast!
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 19th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    I made one tier of the cake or my sister's wedding - it cost me around £40 just for the ingredients. admittedly that was a fruit cake, so more expensive than if you have sponge. but I would guess for a professional baker there is more pressure if it is not a fruit cake, as they don't keep as well so you have to make it closer to the time and with less chance to correct errors, and of course fruitcake is much better as a construction material if you want something that will bear the weight of your cieing and decoration!

Obviously I wasn't charging my sister andbrother in law, but if you were doing it professionally, you'd factor in the cost of your time and equipment as well as the ingredients, plus a margin for profit, and it adds up pretty fast!
    Originally posted by TBagpuss
    Chocolate can be really expensive too - I spent around £15 just on chocolate for the last ganache covered cake I made (again just a single tier).
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • groovy_chick
    • By groovy_chick 19th Jun 17, 6:18 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    groovy_chick
    My wedding day was very warm, the cake started to collapse so we just removed the pillars and placed the 2nd tier directly on top of the bottom tier - it looked fine and no-one noticed or cared. It did not cross my mind to blame the cake-maker for the weather!!

I would have happily have just put the top tier on a stand and cut that - like other posters have said, your Marriage is so much more important than your Wedding.
    Save £12k in 2017 #84 - £6,300/£12,000
    Savings in 2016 £4,300
    Saved in 2016 - Sharesave £1,800 Cash £2,500
    Saved in 2017 = Sharesave £1,800 Cash £4,500
    HMRC outstanding £1,400

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,689Posts Today

9,229Users online

Martin's Twitter