Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 16Thanks
    evherkes
    Spoilt Cake
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    Spoilt Cake 15th Jun 17 at 2:14 PM
    Hi everyone,

So we've just had our wedding, which was amazing, however, the bottom tier of our cake collapsed and caused the other tiers to crack. I sent a balanced email to the cake maker:

I am just getting in touch with you following our wedding on DATE at VENUE. I wasn’t present when you arrived with the cake but was told by venue staff that the bottom tier collapsed and that you had accepted and acknowledged this and as a result the remaining three higher tiers were also all cracked and damaged as a result. I’ve attached the photos for your reference in which it shows cracks, damage and the icing shapeless in places. In addition, the largest tier was to be white chocolate and raspberry, however, from the tasting we attended at yours to the bottom tier (that in part was kept) was vastly different in taste and visually and in no way similar, the bottom tier we would compare and liken to a Victoria sponge. We chose the white chocolate and raspberry for our bottom tier as this was our favourite and feel thoroughly disappointed with the product received which does not give rise to our expectations having met and discussed the end product with you.

As I am sure you will understand a wedding is a huge, important and symbolic day for any couple and their family, as it only comes around once, and that as a result most couples (like us) paid out huge amounts for a photographer too in order to capture every possible moment of our day and worked hard to make sure that every little touch is how we want it.

We have been left feeling upset and disappointed about the cake, especially given the significance of the cake which is also used as a centrepiece, photo opportunity and symbolic with weddings so I am surprised that you have not been in touch with us since our wedding in order to seek a way forward on your thoughts to rectify this.

Please could I ask that you contact us in order to discuss a way that the above can be rectified as we recognise that it is important to address these issues with you directly in the first instance.

This is the response we've received:

I am really sorry for what has happened, I will attach the image to how it was decorated. Unfortunately because of the hot weather white transport the bottom tier collapsed. And because of the time short, I could not re do your cake. In such situations we would re decorate your cake . I am more than happy to refund you £80.00 as a compensation. This is the first time we have had this kind of situation.

The bottom tier was white chocolate and raspberry with white chocolate chunks covered in white chocolate ganache. Because of the weather being hot and causing the ganache to get very soft, could result in a different taste.

I deeply apologise for what has happened, and completely understand where you are coming from. As we were short of time , we could not redecorate the cake. I had gone back home to get all my decorating equipment and materials.

Please let me know if you are ok to accept a refund of £80.00 as a compensation for weather conditions causing the cake to collapse.

We paid £300 for our cake and this isn't even a third off. I'm really disappointed as every tier was spoilt as a result and the bottom tier (of what was saved) had no raspberries in it so in my eyes it isn't just "a change in flavour due to temperature". Our wedding was on Sunday morning so it was not above 20C by this time.

Could anyone kindly advise me on their thoughts around this?

Thank you,

Em
    Emily
Page 5
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 16th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 8,266 Posts
    • 27,674 Thanks
    fairy lights
    The cake maker is unprofessional and lazy. £300 is a lot of money and for that cake I would be asking for a full refund too.
    Originally posted by A0503
    The cake maker is an amateur home baker though so 'unprofessional' by definition. OP's wedding guests still ate the cake so why on earth should they get a full refund? You can't have your cake and eat it, as they say.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 16th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    I'm really surprised at some of the responses that say 'its just a cake', let it go. Its not just a cake, its £300!

It doesn't matter what it is - if you have paid money for an agreed service and the service you receive is unsatisfactory then you should raise it. The cake maker is unprofessional and lazy. £300 is a lot of money and for that cake I would be asking for a full refund too. It isn't what was agreed, there was no customer service or care and I would also be tempted to publish the pictures and make others aware! She shouldn't be running a business and charging people money if she can't provide the goods.

And £300 is a very very cheap price for a 4 tier cake. She got what she paid for more or less. She did not pay anything like the 'professional' price, so why should she get the product she hasn't paid for.
    And OP did mention this baker was running things from home. NOT A PRO....
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 18,278 Posts
    • 46,767 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm really surprised at some of the responses that say 'its just a cake', let it go. Its not just a cake, its £300!

It doesn't matter what it is - if you have paid money for an agreed service and the service you receive is unsatisfactory then you should raise it. The cake maker is unprofessional and lazy. £300 is a lot of money and for that cake I would be asking for a full refund too. It isn't what was agreed, there was no customer service or care and I would also be tempted to publish the pictures and make others aware! She shouldn't be running a business and charging people money if she can't provide the goods.
    Fairy lights has already addressed your 'unprofessional' comment. Why would you expect an amateur to be professional?

On what grounds do you say the baker is 'lazy'?
    It sounds to me that she was out of her depth and struggled to meet the OP's brief.

I wonder how the OP found this baker.
    Personal recommendation?
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was Facebook.
    • Clowns and Jugglers
    • By Clowns and Jugglers 16th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Clowns and Jugglers
    And £300 is a very very cheap price for a 4 tier cake. She got what she paid for more or less. She did not pay anything like the 'professional' price, so why should she get the product she hasn't paid for.
    And OP did mention this baker was running things from home. NOT A PRO....
    Originally posted by arbrighton
    Could someone enlighten me, as I've never even thought about what a wedding cake would cost... how much do people normally pay for them?

£300 sounds like a lot of money to me!
    • A0503
    • By A0503 16th Jun 17, 4:15 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    A0503
    If I was on my wedding day I wouldn't be stopping anyone eating the cake, I would enjoy the day and deal with it later. Its about the level of service provided which in my eyes is not worth the price paid.
    • A0503
    • By A0503 16th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    A0503
    PollyCat.. if the baker felt like she couldn't achieve the standards required then why not raise this with the customer prior to the wedding? Instead, she made a badly made cake, used the weather as an excuse and then made no effort to apologise to the customer. That is lazy customer service.
    • Clowns and Jugglers
    • By Clowns and Jugglers 16th Jun 17, 4:21 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Clowns and Jugglers
    PollyCat.. if the baker felt like she couldn't achieve the standards required then why not raise this with the customer prior to the wedding? Instead, she made a badly made cake, used the weather as an excuse and then made no effort to apologise to the customer. That is lazy customer service.
    The lady's foreign.

I blame Brexit.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 16th Jun 17, 4:22 PM
    • 7,330 Posts
    • 15,728 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    Could someone enlighten me, as I've never even thought about what a wedding cake would cost... how much do people normally pay for them?

Originally posted by Clowns and Jugglers
    Mine was about £125 I think - that was in 1989!
    • Clowns and Jugglers
    • By Clowns and Jugglers 16th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Clowns and Jugglers
    Mine was about £125 I think - that was in 1989!
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    So about £300 in today's money.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 16th Jun 17, 5:33 PM
    • 8,935 Posts
    • 12,974 Thanks
    meer53

£300 is cheap, i'd say it's a starting price for 4 tiers. You can pay what you like but for £300 i wouldn't be expecting a brilliant cake.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 16th Jun 17, 5:39 PM
    • 1,871 Posts
    • 5,117 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    £300 is cheap, i'd say it's a starting price for 4 tiers. You can pay what you like but for £300 i wouldn't be expecting a brilliant cake.
    Originally posted by meer53
    You can get 4 tiers from M&S for just over £200.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/l/food-to-order/wedding-cakes/wedding-cakes/traditional-wedding-cakes?intid=FW_WDCakes_Tile1_TraditionalCakes
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 16th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    • 13,060 Posts
    • 17,279 Thanks
    Gloomendoom

It doesn't matter what it is - if you have paid money for an agreed service and the service you receive is unsatisfactory then you should raise it. The cake maker is unprofessional and lazy. £300 is a lot of money and for that cake I would be asking for a full refund too.
    She can't really ask for a full refund if the cake has been eaten.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 16th Jun 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 5,709 Thanks
    BrassicWoman

And if I were that upset I'd have sent one of the groomsmen off to buy one
    Downsized and mortgage free
    Nov17 grocery challenge £133.10/£150
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 16th Jun 17, 6:22 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 7,898 Thanks
    Callie22
    Callie - do people really think these cakes just stand up on their own?
    Originally posted by Rosemary7391
    They do indeed ... To be fair, if it's not something you've 'studied' then it's probably not something you'd know about, but having looked at the pictures it does look like the bottom tier was dowelled, but my guess is that wasn't done properly (and to me it looks like it's been transported stacked, which is just daft). Looking at the pictures with a professional eye, it's not a very good job - the fondant icing is lumpy and chipped, the tiers aren't spaced evenly and it's not been finished neatly. It isn't a very professional job. I get that £300 isn't top dollar pricing but ultimately if you're charging for a job the expectation is that it'll be a bit more than just adequate. That really isn't. If I were the baker in this case I'd offer a refund and an apology, but that's more about my professional pride!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Jun 17, 7:19 PM
    • 18,278 Posts
    • 46,767 Thanks
    Pollycat
    No it's not lazy.
    It could be a number of things
    over-estimation of her own ability
    unfamiliarity with ingredients coupled with higher temperatures than she's used to
    unfamiliarity with transporting cakes over that distance

FTR - you didn't say 'lazy' customer service'. You just said 'lazy'.

Do we know it was a 'badly made cake'?
    The OP didn't say her guests didn't like the taste.

Either on this thread or the other, I've already said that I think the fact that the baker didn't proactively contact the OP shows a lack of customer first attitude.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 16th Jun 17, 7:40 PM
    • 6,272 Posts
    • 11,275 Thanks
    GlasweJen

We paid £500 and got: custom design, guaranteed allergy (treenjt and peanut) friendly, 4 tiers all different flavours (our tiers were all the same size due to design), transport in refrigerated van and 2 gluten free cupcakes.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 16th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    • 13,060 Posts
    • 17,279 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    We paid £500 and got: custom design, guaranteed allergy (treenjt and peanut) friendly, 4 tiers all different flavours (our tiers were all the same size due to design), transport in refrigerated van and 2 gluten free cupcakes.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    You're joking, right? WTF is treenjt anyway?

We got a three tier fruit cake. It didn't look quite like we expected but, hey ho, it's a cake. It tasted fine. Not that there was much left.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • notanewuser
    • By notanewuser 16th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 8,003 Posts
    • 13,914 Thanks
    notanewuser

Mine was about £900 (significantly more than my dress). It was worth every single penny.

I've made cakes for weddings and I'd charge more than £300 for a 3 tier cake.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 16th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    • 6,272 Posts
    • 11,275 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    You're joking, right? WTF is treenjt anyway?

We got a three tier fruit cake. It didn't look quite like we expected but, hey ho, it's a cake. It tasted fine. Not that there was much left.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Yeah it's tree nut, I'm severely allergic so fruit cake is an absolute no for me. Even if we managed to get a guaranteed nut free fruit mix we couldn't ice it traditionally with marzipan. My cousin is also severely allergic to peanuts, can't even be in the same room as one so we needed a bakery that would guarantee no cross contamination. I didn't fancy landing in hospital on my wedding day.

Food was a big part of our wedding, we are big food people from 2 cultures that really value food and our wedding reflected that. Our cake was supposed to serve 250 people (wedding for 100), we had 100 people worth of cheese as our other cake, we gave out little boxes so people could take a piece of one layer to have at the wedding and take another piece home or take home cheese for later as we served meat as the main and we have family who still keep kosher. My gran called my mum a couple days later asking if we had any cake left because she wanted more and there was none! We literally had enough for my in laws to serve with tea for 8 the next day, box 3 pieces up for terminal relatives who couldn't make it and that was it.

We missed out stuff that wasn't important to us that other people had, chair covers, aisle runners and decor like that as our venue was nice enough without all that.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 16th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 3,190 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    They do indeed ... To be fair, if it's not something you've 'studied' then it's probably not something you'd know about, but having looked at the pictures it does look like the bottom tier was dowelled, but my guess is that wasn't done properly (and to me it looks like it's been transported stacked, which is just daft). Looking at the pictures with a professional eye, it's not a very good job - the fondant icing is lumpy and chipped, the tiers aren't spaced evenly and it's not been finished neatly. It isn't a very professional job. I get that £300 isn't top dollar pricing but ultimately if you're charging for a job the expectation is that it'll be a bit more than just adequate. That really isn't. If I were the baker in this case I'd offer a refund and an apology, but that's more about my professional pride!
    Originally posted by Callie22
    To me it looks much like my first attempt at a stacked cake! Which got fed to my colleagues as it was just me having a first go. I had the sense to cover up the worst with piping/decorations though...

If the OP is still reading - divide the price by the number of people and ask yourself if it was a fair price per person. That might help the perspective a bit? Compare to a McDonald's dessert, a muffin in a cafe and some fancy pretty dessert at a nice restaurant perhaps?
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,523Posts Today

5,364Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin