Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 16Thanks
    evherkes
    Spoilt Cake
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    Spoilt Cake 15th Jun 17 at 2:14 PM
    Hi everyone,

So we've just had our wedding, which was amazing, however, the bottom tier of our cake collapsed and caused the other tiers to crack. I sent a balanced email to the cake maker:

I am just getting in touch with you following our wedding on DATE at VENUE. I wasn’t present when you arrived with the cake but was told by venue staff that the bottom tier collapsed and that you had accepted and acknowledged this and as a result the remaining three higher tiers were also all cracked and damaged as a result. I’ve attached the photos for your reference in which it shows cracks, damage and the icing shapeless in places. In addition, the largest tier was to be white chocolate and raspberry, however, from the tasting we attended at yours to the bottom tier (that in part was kept) was vastly different in taste and visually and in no way similar, the bottom tier we would compare and liken to a Victoria sponge. We chose the white chocolate and raspberry for our bottom tier as this was our favourite and feel thoroughly disappointed with the product received which does not give rise to our expectations having met and discussed the end product with you.

As I am sure you will understand a wedding is a huge, important and symbolic day for any couple and their family, as it only comes around once, and that as a result most couples (like us) paid out huge amounts for a photographer too in order to capture every possible moment of our day and worked hard to make sure that every little touch is how we want it.

We have been left feeling upset and disappointed about the cake, especially given the significance of the cake which is also used as a centrepiece, photo opportunity and symbolic with weddings so I am surprised that you have not been in touch with us since our wedding in order to seek a way forward on your thoughts to rectify this.

Please could I ask that you contact us in order to discuss a way that the above can be rectified as we recognise that it is important to address these issues with you directly in the first instance.

This is the response we've received:

I am really sorry for what has happened, I will attach the image to how it was decorated. Unfortunately because of the hot weather white transport the bottom tier collapsed. And because of the time short, I could not re do your cake. In such situations we would re decorate your cake . I am more than happy to refund you £80.00 as a compensation. This is the first time we have had this kind of situation.

The bottom tier was white chocolate and raspberry with white chocolate chunks covered in white chocolate ganache. Because of the weather being hot and causing the ganache to get very soft, could result in a different taste.

I deeply apologise for what has happened, and completely understand where you are coming from. As we were short of time , we could not redecorate the cake. I had gone back home to get all my decorating equipment and materials.

Please let me know if you are ok to accept a refund of £80.00 as a compensation for weather conditions causing the cake to collapse.

We paid £300 for our cake and this isn't even a third off. I'm really disappointed as every tier was spoilt as a result and the bottom tier (of what was saved) had no raspberries in it so in my eyes it isn't just "a change in flavour due to temperature". Our wedding was on Sunday morning so it was not above 20C by this time.

Could anyone kindly advise me on their thoughts around this?

Thank you,

Em
    Emily
Page 4
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 16th Jun 17, 10:43 AM
    • 12,691 Posts
    • 16,884 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Looking at the pics, I doubt that as a guest I would have noticed anything wrong with it.

Should have gone with fruit.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 16th Jun 17, 10:44 AM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 6,357 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    I'd ask for £100. Don't think you'd get any more. I would have expected the baker to contact you asap, so that was poor customer service but it's difficult to put a price to it.

I made my sister's wedding cake years ago, half way through the evening 'do' 2 guests got a bit loud and knocked the cake over. Such a mess but we still laugh about it.
    • Clowns and Jugglers
    • By Clowns and Jugglers 16th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Clowns and Jugglers
    £300 sounds very cheap for a 3 tier wedding cake.
    Originally posted by TBagpuss
    £300 for a cake?? I'm in the wrong job..!
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 16th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    evherkes
    Wouldn't normally make this kind of comment, but the OP's writing style is very similar to the email reply from the cake maker

Also, what's the odds on this being the next, utterly pointless, MSE Moral Dilemma?
    Originally posted by karcher

Sorry Karcher, I don't write emails to myself. Neither do I send a professional email with typos like she has...
    Emily
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 16th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 4,132 Thanks
    lika_86
    Sorry Karcher, I don't write emails to myself. Neither do I send a professional email with typos like she has...
    Originally posted by evherkes

Given that she's holding herself out to be a cake maker, not a lawyer or English professor, I have no idea what relevance typos or her written ability have on her professionalism.
    • Clowns and Jugglers
    • By Clowns and Jugglers 16th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Clowns and Jugglers
    Given that she's holding herself out to be a cake maker, not a lawyer or English professor, I have no idea what relevance typos or her written ability have on her professionalism.
    Originally posted by lika_86
    I love this board

I'm sitting here with my popcorn
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 16th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    • 3,866 Posts
    • 10,647 Thanks
    Caroline_a
    I think if you wanted a fully professional cake you should have gone with a proper professional - on the other website you say this person was a hobby cake maker, which I assume you knew when you booked her. Sorry, you get what you pay for.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 16th Jun 17, 1:27 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    The photos on the other web site say volumes. You paid £300 to a hobby baker who it appears drove the cake already assembled to the venue, no wonder it collapsed! Aside from the cake collapsing the icing looks awful and the finish is unprofessional. If that was my cake I'd be raging.

Now if you look at the icing on your cake and compare it to her sample cakes (you should have seen photos or maybe mock cakes made of iced styrofoam?) is that the finish you were expecting? Did you pay for delivery (ours was charged per mile from the bakery in a refrigerated van) or was it thrown in with the price and driven in the boot or back seat of the bakers car?

At the tasting did the baker mention things like weight, dowling, cake selection to help structure or anything like that? With my allergies fruit cake was out of the question so we had to select from heavy mixes for the bottom with lighter cakes on top, were you offered advice like this?

At the end of the day this is the difference between hiring a professional and hiring someone who does it for a hobby. I wouldn't expect a full refund as the cake was cut and served, if it had been too damaged to serve I would see the point of asking for a full refund.

I would write back to her and say that you were disappointed that she didn't come clean on the day, left it to the venue to tell you what happened, her cake wasn't shown to guests because it was messy as a result of the accident (and if applicable her show cakes gave you the impression that her icing would have been neater even in the areas that weren't damaged). You appreciate that she has expenses related to buying materials for your cake and would be happy to settle for £X.

If you do write reviews make sure they are fair and accurate, you don't want her to claim you're being malicious and drag you through the courts for slandering her name and losing her business.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 16th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 4,339 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I've just had a look at the photos OP posted on the YaYW forum and it doesn't look as bad as I expected from her description at all. Its definitely gone a bit wonky but it is a very basic design anyways so I'd have thought they could have arranged some flowers around the base and no one would have been any the wiser.
    I think OP maybe had slightly too high expectations of what a hobby baker could achieve.
    http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/general-chat/spoilt-cake/441237.html
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Not quite the mushy disaster I was picturing either.

That forum is something else though!
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 16th Jun 17, 1:40 PM
    • 5,449 Posts
    • 24,780 Thanks
    thorsoak
    I love this board

I'm sitting here with my popcorn
    Originally posted by Clowns and Jugglers
    Not cake?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 17,607 Posts
    • 44,826 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The photos on the other web site say volumes. You paid £300 to a hobby baker who it appears drove the cake already assembled to the venue, no wonder it collapsed! Aside from the cake collapsing the icing looks awful and the finish is unprofessional. If that was my cake I'd be raging.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    I asked that question on the other thread and got the answer:
    The baker only bakes cakes, an at home business with food safety and the ratings etc.
    Originally posted by evherkes
    The idea that the cake was transported ready assembled into its 4 tiers is .
    • Clowns and Jugglers
    • By Clowns and Jugglers 16th Jun 17, 2:07 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Clowns and Jugglers
    Sorry, where is the website/link with pictures of the cake, please?
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 16th Jun 17, 2:07 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    IAmWales
    My plan is to post Facebook, Google etc. reviews if we can't come to a satisfactory outcome but wanted to see what she suggested first of all.
    Malicious. You'll essentially blackmail her if you don't get your way.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 16th Jun 17, 2:10 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Sorry, where is the website/link with pictures of the cake, please?
    Originally posted by Clowns and Jugglers
    http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/general-chat/spoilt-cake/441237.html
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Clowns and Jugglers
    • By Clowns and Jugglers 16th Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Clowns and Jugglers
    T
    At the end of the day this is the difference between hiring a professional and hiring someone who does it for a hobby.
    Yup, as Red Adair said, if you think it's expensive hiring a professional, just wait till you hire an amateur.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 16th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 2,011 Posts
    • 2,429 Thanks
    waamo
    How many threads about this are we up to, is it three or four now?
    This space for hire.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 16th Jun 17, 2:56 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    andydownes123
    You paid cheap - you got cheap.
    Originally posted by thorsoak
    This sums everything up. Just seen the pics on Y and YW. Amateur job, amateur price. Unfortunately, you chose the wrong maker, with your eye on price, and they in turn over estimated their skills. I would say 50/50 split of money.

I do think you are still over exaggerating the problem. A few cut flowers would have completely disguised the problem I reckon.

End of thread.
    Last edited by andydownes123; 16-06-2017 at 3:02 PM.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 16th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2,743 Posts
    • 6,118 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Malicious. You'll essentially blackmail her if you don't get your way.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    You took the words right out from my keypad.

At this point I lost any sympathy I had for the OP
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • Clowns and Jugglers
    • By Clowns and Jugglers 16th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Clowns and Jugglers
    I do think you are still over exaggerating the problem. A few cut flowers would have completely disguised the problem I reckon.

End of thread.
    Originally posted by andydownes123
    A few cut flowers?? The bluddy leaning tower of Pisa's less pished than that cake

Hey OP, is the cake-maker Italian by any chance.. could be something subliminal going on there
    • A0503
    • By A0503 16th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    A0503
    I'm really surprised at some of the responses that say 'its just a cake', let it go. Its not just a cake, its £300!

It doesn't matter what it is - if you have paid money for an agreed service and the service you receive is unsatisfactory then you should raise it. The cake maker is unprofessional and lazy. £300 is a lot of money and for that cake I would be asking for a full refund too. It isn't what was agreed, there was no customer service or care and I would also be tempted to publish the pictures and make others aware! She shouldn't be running a business and charging people money if she can't provide the goods.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,122Posts Today

8,360Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin