Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 16Thanks
    evherkes
    Spoilt Cake
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    Spoilt Cake 15th Jun 17 at 2:14 PM
    Hi everyone,

So we've just had our wedding, which was amazing, however, the bottom tier of our cake collapsed and caused the other tiers to crack. I sent a balanced email to the cake maker:

I am just getting in touch with you following our wedding on DATE at VENUE. I wasn’t present when you arrived with the cake but was told by venue staff that the bottom tier collapsed and that you had accepted and acknowledged this and as a result the remaining three higher tiers were also all cracked and damaged as a result. I’ve attached the photos for your reference in which it shows cracks, damage and the icing shapeless in places. In addition, the largest tier was to be white chocolate and raspberry, however, from the tasting we attended at yours to the bottom tier (that in part was kept) was vastly different in taste and visually and in no way similar, the bottom tier we would compare and liken to a Victoria sponge. We chose the white chocolate and raspberry for our bottom tier as this was our favourite and feel thoroughly disappointed with the product received which does not give rise to our expectations having met and discussed the end product with you.

As I am sure you will understand a wedding is a huge, important and symbolic day for any couple and their family, as it only comes around once, and that as a result most couples (like us) paid out huge amounts for a photographer too in order to capture every possible moment of our day and worked hard to make sure that every little touch is how we want it.

We have been left feeling upset and disappointed about the cake, especially given the significance of the cake which is also used as a centrepiece, photo opportunity and symbolic with weddings so I am surprised that you have not been in touch with us since our wedding in order to seek a way forward on your thoughts to rectify this.

Please could I ask that you contact us in order to discuss a way that the above can be rectified as we recognise that it is important to address these issues with you directly in the first instance.

This is the response we've received:

I am really sorry for what has happened, I will attach the image to how it was decorated. Unfortunately because of the hot weather white transport the bottom tier collapsed. And because of the time short, I could not re do your cake. In such situations we would re decorate your cake . I am more than happy to refund you £80.00 as a compensation. This is the first time we have had this kind of situation.

The bottom tier was white chocolate and raspberry with white chocolate chunks covered in white chocolate ganache. Because of the weather being hot and causing the ganache to get very soft, could result in a different taste.

I deeply apologise for what has happened, and completely understand where you are coming from. As we were short of time , we could not redecorate the cake. I had gone back home to get all my decorating equipment and materials.

Please let me know if you are ok to accept a refund of £80.00 as a compensation for weather conditions causing the cake to collapse.

We paid £300 for our cake and this isn't even a third off. I'm really disappointed as every tier was spoilt as a result and the bottom tier (of what was saved) had no raspberries in it so in my eyes it isn't just "a change in flavour due to temperature". Our wedding was on Sunday morning so it was not above 20C by this time.

Could anyone kindly advise me on their thoughts around this?

Thank you,

Em
    Emily
Page 3
    • Captain Bluebear
    • By Captain Bluebear 15th Jun 17, 8:03 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Captain Bluebear
    Have you been watching the news over the last two days OP?

Take the £80,have a nice meal and be glad to be alive with your new husband.

I'm sorry...I have never posted negatively on any forum before but please...is this the time to be asking such questions?

I truly hope you find a reasonable solution to your problem. The solution won't change your Wedding Day....but will just change the way you feel about it if you want to stew over this little detail of it.

I really wish you all the best for your future.
    LBM Dec 15 £5,629 paid £2740 in 2016

PAYDBX17 #66 £2289/2889

NSD Aug 3/12
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 15th Jun 17, 8:11 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 5,346 Thanks
    avogadro
    Have you been watching the news over the last two days OP?
    Originally posted by Captain Bluebear
    Nice guilt trip!
    • Aced2016
    • By Aced2016 15th Jun 17, 8:11 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Aced2016
    I do get why your annoyed ! But how can money change that ?

Getting money won't change the fact it was cracked etc.

Me personally would be happy if my day went good and we enjoyed ourselves. I would accept the apology and the £80.00 and go for a nice meal with my new husband !

Society has turned mad with money now ! Or maybe I'm the strange one. I just feel anything isn't perfect people's first thought is money, people die set up a just giving page for money. Small car accident - money it's never ending !!!

Money will not make you happy nor will it change the situation.
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 15th Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    greatgimpo
    I think £80 is nowhere near enough. I would settle for no less than their house, car and life savings - such trauma you've been through should be recognised.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 4,064 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Nice guilt trip!
    Originally posted by avogadro
    It's true though, some of the things that have happened in the last few weeks really make the small things seem insignificant.
    • emmatthews
    • By emmatthews 15th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    emmatthews
    It's just a cake. It may be disappointing that it didn't live up to your expectation but it's still just cake. I would take the £80, the cake maker still paid for all the ingredients and made the cake so I think it's a pretty fair offer.

I think £300 was very reasonable for a four tier cake. You'd pay not a lot less than that buying a non bespoke one from M&S.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 15th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 2,818 Posts
    • 7,715 Thanks
    Callie22
    Maybe the op is not a baker. But I am not sure I would want what is a essence a victoria sandwich with extra bits in to hold up another 3 tiers of cake.

Hence why wedding cakes are normally fruit cake as it is dense and holds it shape.

Each to there own.

Yours

Calley
    Originally posted by calleyw
    The baker sounds inexperienced. Any wedding cake with more than one tier - even if it's fruit - needs dowelling or some kind of spacer to support it. I'd expect anyone charging for a cake to know that, especially if they're making 'non-traditional' (i.e. not fruit) wedding cakes with any kind of frosting that's not going to be particularly stable in warmer weather. It's not very professional to provide a cake that's not going to stand up to transport and a bit of heat and if that happened to me I'd be mortified and very apologetic - and I say that as someone who has in the past made (and charged for!) wedding cakes. You have to accept that people get a bit odd about anything to do with weddings, and it's part of the territory - and it's the main reason I no longer make wedding cakes ...
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 15th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    • 5,430 Posts
    • 24,715 Thanks
    thorsoak
    I'm not a baker that's why I went to what was supposed to be an knowledgable baker to bring my idea to reality. What I expect is honesty, if it's not realistic then tell me the ifs and buts and then work out (together) what can work. I find ssparks2003 sarcasm uncalled for.

Can I just ask that if people want to post on this then they are actually of assistance rather than a passing opinion of me... I posted to ask for advice regarding the response I recieved as I feel that £80 is unacceptable. Just in case I haven't been clear up until this point.

Thanks
    Originally posted by evherkes
    For goodness sake - don't be such a snowflake! If you posted on here, expecting lots of hugs, hun ....then you posted on the wrong website. You asked for opinions - you have them. If they are not in agreement with your thinking, then take that point with you as you ponder on what to do next.

Me? In your shoes, I would think "I should have paid more for a professional cake-maker - but it tasted good". You cannot expect what is, essentially a victoria sandwich to stay fresh for more than a day or two.

Anyone with a nous of sense would have accepted that a 4-tier cake requires the bottom tier at least to be a heavy fruit cake (which does keep), covered with royal icing which would also give strength to support a further three tiers which might then be a chocolate cake, a madeira cake and a light sponge. 4 tiers plus decoration would cost in excess of £200 to make - let alone the time and skill involved in the decoration. You paid cheap - you got cheap.

Take the £80 and go for a meal with your new husband - and get on with your life and enjoy it - you do at least have a future to look forward to. Others don't.
    • Captain Bluebear
    • By Captain Bluebear 15th Jun 17, 11:32 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Captain Bluebear
    For goodness sake - don't be such a snowflake! If you posted on here, expecting lots of hugs, hun ....then you posted on the wrong website. You asked for opinions - you have them. If they are not in agreement with your thinking, then take that point with you as you ponder on what to do next.

Me? In your shoes, I would think "I should have paid more for a professional cake-maker - but it tasted good". You cannot expect what is, essentially a victoria sandwich to stay fresh for more than a day or two.

Anyone with a nous of sense would have accepted that a 4-tier cake requires the bottom tier at least to be a heavy fruit cake (which does keep), covered with royal icing which would also give strength to support a further three tiers which might then be a chocolate cake, a madeira cake and a light sponge. 4 tiers plus decoration would cost in excess of £200 to make - let alone the time and skill involved in the decoration. You paid cheap - you got cheap.

Take the £80 and go for a meal with your new husband - and get on with your life and enjoy it - you do at least have a future to look forward to. Others don't.
    Originally posted by thorsoak
    Thorsoak, as ever, you put into words exactly what I didn't have the guts or time to type! Also I had no idea you had such knowledge about wedding cake construction! (it would appear from this OP's post that it's not common knowledge) but you are totally right once again!
    Last edited by Captain Bluebear; 15-06-2017 at 11:56 PM.
    LBM Dec 15 £5,629 paid £2740 in 2016

PAYDBX17 #66 £2289/2889

NSD Aug 3/12
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 16th Jun 17, 6:24 AM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 3,184 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    Thorsoak, Captain Bluebear - read the next post up? Doesn't need to be fruit and Royal icing, does need appropriate support...
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 16th Jun 17, 6:51 AM
    • 5,430 Posts
    • 24,715 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Rosemary - I've made wedding cakes (never for money - only ever for family) - and believe me, if you don't have a solid cake at the bottom, then a high-tier cake doesn't work! Also, in order to have best flavour and taste, there needs to be a fairly high fat/sugar content in proportion to flour/flavouring - otherwise the tiers need to be made with 48 hours of consumption. I do know what I'm talking about.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 16th Jun 17, 7:18 AM
    • 2,818 Posts
    • 7,715 Thanks
    Callie22
    Rosemary - I've made wedding cakes (never for money - only ever for family) - and believe me, if you don't have a solid cake at the bottom, then a high-tier cake doesn't work! Also, in order to have best flavour and taste, there needs to be a fairly high fat/sugar content in proportion to flour/flavouring - otherwise the tiers need to be made with 48 hours of consumption. I do know what I'm talking about.
    Originally posted by thorsoak
    One of the reasons I gave up cake making is that I go so fed up of trying to explain that you need support for a cake - people just couldn't understand why their cake would have 'sticks' in it. Fruit cake and royal icing aren't trendy at the moment, but they have been used for years for a reason. Fruit cake is like a brick and royal icing sets like concrete! You can make tiered cakes with different sponges but it is soooo much more work and you have to be so careful - there's a reason why the 'naked' cakes have become popular lately and a big part of that is that for the baker, it's a heck of a lot easier to cover up wobbles with buttercream and some flowers, and pretend it was always meant to be that way! But I agree, you have to pay for this as it's all done at the last minute, unlike the traditional fruit cake that you can make and ice way in advance.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 16th Jun 17, 7:31 AM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 3,184 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    Thorsoak, I was taking issue with the phrase "anyone with a nous of sense knows..." when there is another way to do it that is actually more common currently!

Callie - do people really think these cakes just stand up on their own?
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • SunnyCyprus
    • By SunnyCyprus 16th Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    SunnyCyprus
    Ok, I found this interesting as I am reading a few different forums at the moment, 2 of which are MSE and You and Your Wedding..and I read the OPs original post on that forum. The difference in responses from both websites is amazing!

Y&YW response= "go for the jugular!" "Accept nothing less than 100% refund" "write bad reviews on all of the cake makers social media" (written by Brides to Be, who are in the throws of organising the biggest day of their lives)
    MSE responses= "Take the £80 and enjoy the memories of your day" "what do you expect from a hobbyist cake maker?" (Written by people who are all about money saving and know a little bit about consumer rights)
    If you want to do something, you will find a way.
    If you don't, then you will find an excuse...
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 16th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 5,430 Posts
    • 24,715 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Ok, I found this interesting as I am reading a few different forums at the moment, 2 of which are MSE and You and Your Wedding..and I read the OPs original post on that forum. The difference in responses from both websites is amazing!

Y&YW response= "go for the jugular!" "Accept nothing less than 100% refund" "write bad reviews on all of the cake makers social media" (written by Brides to Be, who are in the throws of organising the biggest day of their lives)
    MSE responses= "Take the £80 and enjoy the memories of your day" "what do you expect from a hobbyist cake maker?" (Written by people who are all about money saving and know a little bit about consumer rights)
    Originally posted by SunnyCyprus
    Agree .....add to that, most of the MSE posters are people who, in all probability, have more experience of life and the lumps along the road!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 16th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    One of the reasons I gave up cake making is that I go so fed up of trying to explain that you need support for a cake - people just couldn't understand why their cake would have 'sticks' in it. Fruit cake and royal icing aren't trendy at the moment, but they have been used for years for a reason. Fruit cake is like a brick and royal icing sets like concrete! You can make tiered cakes with different sponges but it is soooo much more work and you have to be so careful - there's a reason why the 'naked' cakes have become popular lately and a big part of that is that for the baker, it's a heck of a lot easier to cover up wobbles with buttercream and some flowers, and pretend it was always meant to be that way! But I agree, you have to pay for this as it's all done at the last minute, unlike the traditional fruit cake that you can make and ice way in advance.
    Originally posted by Callie22
    Yeah, took quite a lot of asking to find a baker to do fruit and royal icing for our wedding- CANNOT stand fondant and sadly friend wasn't able to do it for me.

Only two tiers, but still dowelled. HOwever, as i'd been researching whether I could do it myself, I was expecting this. Caterers at reception also remarked on how unusual it was to have royal iced.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 16th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton

Oh dear gods, so not only has she thrown her toys out of the pram here but elsewhere too. Perhaps she should have stuck with the forum that caters for bridezillas
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 16th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    • 5,776 Posts
    • 7,547 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    £300 sounds very cheap for a 3 tier wedding cake.
    I don't think that £80 is unreasonable as an offer- it's not a situation where they can replace the cake or repair it as the ayhas passed.
    If you feel that a higher amount of compensation is appropriate then of course you can go back and say so, but I think you need to tell them what you do ant them to do. So far, you've asked them what their suggestion is and they've told you.

Presumably you and your guests still got to eat the cake, even if you felt it was not suitable for a formal cake cutting.

I don't think you would be wrong if you were to go back and ask for a little more but I think you need to be clear with the baker about what you personally feel would resolve this.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 16th Jun 17, 10:37 AM
    • 7,945 Posts
    • 26,471 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I've just had a look at the photos OP posted on the YaYW forum and it doesn't look as bad as I expected from her description at all. Its definitely gone a bit wonky but it is a very basic design anyways so I'd have thought they could have arranged some flowers around the base and no one would have been any the wiser.
    I think OP maybe had slightly too high expectations of what a hobby baker could achieve.
    http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/general-chat/spoilt-cake/441237.html
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 16th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 18,388 Posts
    • 42,140 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I've just had a look at the photos OP posted on the YaYW forum and it doesn't look as bad as I expected from her description at all. Its definitely gone a bit wonky but it is a very basic design anyways so I'd have thought they could have arranged some flowers around the base and no one would have been any the wiser.
    I think OP maybe had slightly too high expectations of what a hobby baker could achieve.
    http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/general-chat/spoilt-cake/441237.html
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Let's face it, that cake was never going to look good. I take it this is a hobbyist cake maker, not a professional. £300 was way to much to pay for that in the first place.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

333Posts Today

1,921Users online

Martin's Twitter