Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 16Thanks
    evherkes
    Spoilt Cake
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    Spoilt Cake 15th Jun 17 at 2:14 PM
    Hi everyone,

So we've just had our wedding, which was amazing, however, the bottom tier of our cake collapsed and caused the other tiers to crack. I sent a balanced email to the cake maker:

I am just getting in touch with you following our wedding on DATE at VENUE. I wasn’t present when you arrived with the cake but was told by venue staff that the bottom tier collapsed and that you had accepted and acknowledged this and as a result the remaining three higher tiers were also all cracked and damaged as a result. I’ve attached the photos for your reference in which it shows cracks, damage and the icing shapeless in places. In addition, the largest tier was to be white chocolate and raspberry, however, from the tasting we attended at yours to the bottom tier (that in part was kept) was vastly different in taste and visually and in no way similar, the bottom tier we would compare and liken to a Victoria sponge. We chose the white chocolate and raspberry for our bottom tier as this was our favourite and feel thoroughly disappointed with the product received which does not give rise to our expectations having met and discussed the end product with you.

As I am sure you will understand a wedding is a huge, important and symbolic day for any couple and their family, as it only comes around once, and that as a result most couples (like us) paid out huge amounts for a photographer too in order to capture every possible moment of our day and worked hard to make sure that every little touch is how we want it.

We have been left feeling upset and disappointed about the cake, especially given the significance of the cake which is also used as a centrepiece, photo opportunity and symbolic with weddings so I am surprised that you have not been in touch with us since our wedding in order to seek a way forward on your thoughts to rectify this.

Please could I ask that you contact us in order to discuss a way that the above can be rectified as we recognise that it is important to address these issues with you directly in the first instance.

This is the response we've received:

I am really sorry for what has happened, I will attach the image to how it was decorated. Unfortunately because of the hot weather white transport the bottom tier collapsed. And because of the time short, I could not re do your cake. In such situations we would re decorate your cake . I am more than happy to refund you £80.00 as a compensation. This is the first time we have had this kind of situation.

The bottom tier was white chocolate and raspberry with white chocolate chunks covered in white chocolate ganache. Because of the weather being hot and causing the ganache to get very soft, could result in a different taste.

I deeply apologise for what has happened, and completely understand where you are coming from. As we were short of time , we could not redecorate the cake. I had gone back home to get all my decorating equipment and materials.

Please let me know if you are ok to accept a refund of £80.00 as a compensation for weather conditions causing the cake to collapse.

We paid £300 for our cake and this isn't even a third off. I'm really disappointed as every tier was spoilt as a result and the bottom tier (of what was saved) had no raspberries in it so in my eyes it isn't just "a change in flavour due to temperature". Our wedding was on Sunday morning so it was not above 20C by this time.

Could anyone kindly advise me on their thoughts around this?

Thank you,

Em
    Emily
Page 2
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 15th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    jimbo747
    Forget about it OP.

Our wedding cake which was in shape of castle partly fell over during transport. Wife just stuffed it back up best she could and we got on with the day. If anyone was going to say anything we'd have said it was modeled on Riber Castle next to where we got married.

We laugh about it and you will too in future, if you let it go.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 15th Jun 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 3,111 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    Maybe the op is not a baker. But I am not sure I would want what is a essence a victoria sandwich with extra bits in to hold up another 3 tiers of cake.

Hence why wedding cakes are normally fruit cake as it is dense and holds it shape.

Each to there own.

Yours

Calley
    Originally posted by calleyw
    Wow, you have managed to pass through life to get to an an age where you can marry but you were unaware that some things go soft and even melt when they get warm.
    Originally posted by ssparks2003
    The cake maker ought to have been aware of the possible effect of the weather, especially on white chocolate ganache as that can be soft depending on how it's made, and how to build a cake which stands up to the weight of the tiers above (I'm not sure I'd trust even a fruit cake with 3 tiers above it without dowels/other support. One tier maybe - but the frosting is also a concern and for this reason I'd likely use dowels regardless).

4 tiers in total is quite a large cake... how many servings was it? Did it taste okay? Do you have anything in writing regarding the flavour that seems to have been changed?

Definitely take the other posters advice on not letting this affect your memory of your wedding or spoil the start of your marriage, but I do understand it's a dissapointment
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 15th Jun 17, 3:37 PM
    • 5,354 Posts
    • 6,001 Thanks
    lovinituk
    OK, here is some practical advice...

If you don't agree with the £80 you ask for more.
    If they refuse your request for a higher amount you then either choose to accept the £80 or not.
    If not, then you issue a Letter Before Action stating that if they don't refund you £x by a date (give them 30 days is fair) you will take legal action.
    If they still don't pay, issue a small claim through MCOL.
    If they still don't pay, then hope the judge is sympathetic to you.
    You might be seen as unreasonable for not accepting the offer for £80.
    You might get your £80 or less and be stung with your claim fees.
    You might get lucky and be awarded more plus your fees.
    The cake maker might pay up at that point.
    The cake maker might, out of spite, not pay and then you will have request the court to issue a CCJ and then try and get bailiffs to retrieve some or all of the money you are owed. They might not get anything back.

Now my opinion....

Ask for a higher amount if that's what you want but if they say no then accept the £80. Its far less hassle than the alternative.
    The following is my forum signature and not necessarily a response to your post:
    "To be truly successful you must live a few years of your life like others won’t so you may live the rest of your life like others can’t"
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 15th Jun 17, 3:37 PM
    • 12,429 Posts
    • 16,598 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    It's not only cake to as my correspondence to her says, I saved over 8 years to get married so I'm sorry but your comment really isn't very helpful to me.
    Originally posted by evherkes
    Take the £80 and move on. You'll be laughing about it next year.

If you think my comment is unhelpful... tough.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 15th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 3,981 Thanks
    lika_86
    I'm not sure what you hope to get from this, the vendor has offered you money back which you can accept or not. Given that you weren't eating most of the raspberry-less tier there's little loss there to you personally, the guests will not have been able to tell the difference and honestly, as a guest, I've never had my opinion swayed about a wedding based on cake which to be honest is one of the more underwhelming aspects of the day.

You say you had an amazing day otherwise which is the main thing. Your photographer may even be able to manipulate the photos slightly so it looks better in the wedding album, if that's a priority.
    • *~Zephyr~*
    • By *~Zephyr~* 15th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    *~Zephyr~*
    Any event involving members of the human species is going to have things that go wrong. People get sick, people don't show, the sun doesn't shine, or it does and it melts the cake. Nothing can ever be guaranteed.

At my first wedding, the wrong colour buttonholes turned up, 4 guests travelling together broke down on the way and missed the ceremony and I was almost 30 minutes late because I got stuck at a level crossing! And then we had to have an ambulance to the reception when an elderly uncle had one too many scotches and thought he could limbo across the dance floor!

My mum turned up at her hairdressers appointment on her wedding day, only to find that she'd gone on holiday and forgot about my poor mum who had to try and sort out her own beehive (it was the 60's).

Things go wrong, but you still had a wedding, your guests still had (probably yummy) cake. And you probably have some fantastic memories of the day.

Please, don't dwell on this and let it overshadow your good memories. It's a good offer. Take it and spend it on a nice meal out with your new hubby. And then, frankly, forget about something that was actually just a teeny tiny part of the day.
    • readingfan
    • By readingfan 15th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    readingfan
    I think £80 is fair. Take the offer and move on.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 15th Jun 17, 4:14 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    IAmWales
    And another thread on the subject!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5665001
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 15th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 7,165 Posts
    • 15,448 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    Hi everyone,

So we've just had our wedding, which was amazing, however, the bottom tier of our cake collapsed and caused the other tiers to crack. I sent a balanced email to the cake maker:

I am just getting in touch with you following our wedding on DATE at VENUE. I wasn’t present when you arrived with the cake but was told by venue staff that the bottom tier collapsed and that you had accepted and acknowledged this and as a result the remaining three higher tiers were also all cracked and damaged as a result. I’ve attached the photos for your reference in which it shows cracks, damage and the icing shapeless in places. In addition, the largest tier was to be white chocolate and raspberry, however, from the tasting we attended at yours to the bottom tier (that in part was kept) was vastly different in taste and visually and in no way similar, the bottom tier we would compare and liken to a Victoria sponge. We chose the white chocolate and raspberry for our bottom tier as this was our favourite and feel thoroughly disappointed with the product received which does not give rise to our expectations having met and discussed the end product with you.

As I am sure you will understand a wedding is a huge, important and symbolic day for any couple and their family, as it only comes around once, and that as a result most couples (like us) paid out huge amounts for a photographer too in order to capture every possible moment of our day and worked hard to make sure that every little touch is how we want it.

We have been left feeling upset and disappointed about the cake, especially given the significance of the cake which is also used as a centrepiece, photo opportunity and symbolic with weddings so I am surprised that you have not been in touch with us since our wedding in order to seek a way forward on your thoughts to rectify this.

Please could I ask that you contact us in order to discuss a way that the above can be rectified as we recognise that it is important to address these issues with you directly in the first instance.

This is the response we've received:

I am really sorry for what has happened, I will attach the image to how it was decorated. Unfortunately because of the hot weather white transport the bottom tier collapsed. And because of the time short, I could not re do your cake. In such situations we would re decorate your cake . I am more than happy to refund you £80.00 as a compensation. This is the first time we have had this kind of situation.

The bottom tier was white chocolate and raspberry with white chocolate chunks covered in white chocolate ganache. Because of the weather being hot and causing the ganache to get very soft, could result in a different taste.

I deeply apologise for what has happened, and completely understand where you are coming from. As we were short of time , we could not redecorate the cake. I had gone back home to get all my decorating equipment and materials.

Please let me know if you are ok to accept a refund of £80.00 as a compensation for weather conditions causing the cake to collapse.

We paid £300 for our cake and this isn't even a third off. I'm really disappointed as every tier was spoilt as a result and the bottom tier (of what was saved) had no raspberries in it so in my eyes it isn't just "a change in flavour due to temperature". Our wedding was on Sunday morning so it was not above 20C by this time.

Could anyone kindly advise me on their thoughts around this?

Thank you,

Em
    Originally posted by evherkes
    Quoted for reference.
    • LKRDN_Morgan
    • By LKRDN_Morgan 15th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    LKRDN_Morgan
    I'd accept the money and move on.

Yes it's disappointing when you feel your day hasn't gone perfectly but in the grand scheme of things it's just a cake.
    • RoonilWazlib
    • By RoonilWazlib 15th Jun 17, 4:31 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    RoonilWazlib
    As already stated, all that's really left is to negotiate

Tell the trader what you want and justify as best you can why that is an appropriate amount.

If they disagree either move on with your life or consider further action against them through the courts and a judge will decide whether their offer is reasonable, bearing in mind that if it is deemed reasonable, you may be out of pocket further
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Jun 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 3,714 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Ask for £150, compromise on £100.

Try to get a sense of humour about it, at least your guests will actually remember your wedding cake, they're generally a bit samey.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 15th Jun 17, 4:56 PM
    • 3,382 Posts
    • 2,559 Thanks
    sheramber
    What is suitable to one person is not to another.

The baker has asked if you accept her offer. If the answer is no then you have decide what you think is a fair offer and ask for that. What I or any other person thinks is fair is irrelevant if you don't think it is fair as you are the one with the disappointment.

You have not said what you think is fair or what you want despite being asked more than once.

You are obviously not hearing what you want to hear.
    Do you know what you want?

If you do, then ask the baker for it. If you don't no one here can tell you.
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    evherkes
    I've never had to order or dispute a cake or personalised food order, or been married before, so I do not know what is acceptable. I'm sure I've identified or suggested at least once why I have posted this in the first place but basically as you would get quotes to compare or anything else, I'm seeking others "quotes" for whether the baker is being reasonable or not in their offer.
    Emily
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 15th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    • 7,864 Posts
    • 26,086 Thanks
    fairy lights
    At a friends wedding a few years ago, the cake maker drove over a hidden speed bump on her way to the venue and the cake collapsed, avalanche style, in the box.
    Disappointing for the bride? Yes. Mortifying for the baker? Definitely.
    But it still tasted good, they still got photos of the cake cutting, and they got a funny anecdote out of it.
    Take the £80, at the very least you'll be able to go for a decent meal somewhere.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    • 9,180 Posts
    • 11,546 Thanks
    hazyjo
    My cake was lovely - unfortunately my first husband wasn't (his bit on the side was at the wedding. Nice).

It might seem like the end of the world when one little thing (in the scale of it) goes wrong, and it's hard to accept they're out of our control when we've spent months or years planning for one day, but as others have said, it's a cake that'll be remembered, and hopefully you'll be dining out on it (the story, not the cake) for years when talking about your big day...

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies)
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 15th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    £300 quid is basically a hobby baker doing mates rates. Here's a comaprison. I think you've been tight, got a keen hobbyist, and are now expecting Mary Berry quality.

Move on.

http://www.sugaredsaffron.co.uk/londonweddingcakes-2/size-and-price/
    Downsized and mortgage free
    August 17 grocery challenge 0/£100
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 15th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    arbrighton
    A cake is not actually a necessity to become married and spend your lives together.

You are obsessing over a small element of one day rather than getting on with your lives together.

You don't like the answers people are giving you as they don't say what you want- sorry, noone has a crystal ball and human beings don't always agree with each other, and do, quite often express opinions, which on an open internet forum, may appear blunt.

But, to start another thread elsewhere on forums to complain about people disagreeing with you????????????????? That's a little immature.

Accept the £80 or negotiate higher. Get on with enjoying your marriage (i.e. the rest of your life, not that one day) . BTW, I don't look at my wedding photos very much and I've only been married two years. Not because there is anything wrong with them like a slightly collapsed cake (to which we would have laughed!) but because I'm getting on with living
    • meer53
    • By meer53 15th Jun 17, 6:27 PM
    • 8,772 Posts
    • 12,743 Thanks
    meer53
    OP, i know you were upset by what happened but really, it was a cake. Take a look at the news occasionally, it really doesnt matter that your cake didn't taste right or it collapsed. Try to get some perspective and forget it.
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 15th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    • 4,192 Posts
    • 6,907 Thanks
    Mupette
    What was the time scale of you getting married and you contacting the baker?

She could of thought you were on honeymoon and wouldn't want to disturb.

As others have said, sponge is never a good bottom as it needs to take the weight of the upper tiers.

The fact that the baker DID acknowledge and DID apologise at the venue it just wasn't to you. You were getting married at the time I assume.

The thing about us brides we get so worked up at everything has to be perfect and i one small thing isn't proclaim the day ruined.

The important part of the day was you married the man you love right?

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,070Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin