Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 16Thanks
    evherkes
    Spoilt Cake
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    Spoilt Cake 15th Jun 17 at 2:14 PM
    Hi everyone,

So we've just had our wedding, which was amazing, however, the bottom tier of our cake collapsed and caused the other tiers to crack. I sent a balanced email to the cake maker:

I am just getting in touch with you following our wedding on DATE at VENUE. I wasn’t present when you arrived with the cake but was told by venue staff that the bottom tier collapsed and that you had accepted and acknowledged this and as a result the remaining three higher tiers were also all cracked and damaged as a result. I’ve attached the photos for your reference in which it shows cracks, damage and the icing shapeless in places. In addition, the largest tier was to be white chocolate and raspberry, however, from the tasting we attended at yours to the bottom tier (that in part was kept) was vastly different in taste and visually and in no way similar, the bottom tier we would compare and liken to a Victoria sponge. We chose the white chocolate and raspberry for our bottom tier as this was our favourite and feel thoroughly disappointed with the product received which does not give rise to our expectations having met and discussed the end product with you.

As I am sure you will understand a wedding is a huge, important and symbolic day for any couple and their family, as it only comes around once, and that as a result most couples (like us) paid out huge amounts for a photographer too in order to capture every possible moment of our day and worked hard to make sure that every little touch is how we want it.

We have been left feeling upset and disappointed about the cake, especially given the significance of the cake which is also used as a centrepiece, photo opportunity and symbolic with weddings so I am surprised that you have not been in touch with us since our wedding in order to seek a way forward on your thoughts to rectify this.

Please could I ask that you contact us in order to discuss a way that the above can be rectified as we recognise that it is important to address these issues with you directly in the first instance.

This is the response we've received:

I am really sorry for what has happened, I will attach the image to how it was decorated. Unfortunately because of the hot weather white transport the bottom tier collapsed. And because of the time short, I could not re do your cake. In such situations we would re decorate your cake . I am more than happy to refund you £80.00 as a compensation. This is the first time we have had this kind of situation.

The bottom tier was white chocolate and raspberry with white chocolate chunks covered in white chocolate ganache. Because of the weather being hot and causing the ganache to get very soft, could result in a different taste.

I deeply apologise for what has happened, and completely understand where you are coming from. As we were short of time , we could not redecorate the cake. I had gone back home to get all my decorating equipment and materials.

Please let me know if you are ok to accept a refund of £80.00 as a compensation for weather conditions causing the cake to collapse.

We paid £300 for our cake and this isn't even a third off. I'm really disappointed as every tier was spoilt as a result and the bottom tier (of what was saved) had no raspberries in it so in my eyes it isn't just "a change in flavour due to temperature". Our wedding was on Sunday morning so it was not above 20C by this time.

Could anyone kindly advise me on their thoughts around this?

Thank you,

Em
    Emily
Page 1
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 15th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    andydownes123
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    I'm confused, has the wedding happened??

Chalk it up to experience...would you have rather had hot weather and a cracked cake or cold and rain and a perfect cake. I know what I would have liked more....

It's only cake. Move on.
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    evherkes
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    Yes Andy the wedding has happened.

I shouldn't have to choose, in my eyes I've paid for a cake that was to be as I discussed with the cake maker. There was no explanation of what "could" happen if certain things were chosen ingredient wise.

It's not only cake to as my correspondence to her says, I saved over 8 years to get married so I'm sorry but your comment really isn't very helpful to me.
    Emily
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 15th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    andydownes123
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    Will getting the full £300 make you much happier?
    It's done, something to talk about "such lovely weather that the cake spoilt". In the grand scheme of things, things could have gone a lot worse. Putting so much energy and emphasis into a small mistake will only ruin your memory of such a lovely day. Honestly, let it go.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 15th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    • 7,088 Posts
    • 9,245 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    It's not only cake to as my correspondence to her says, I saved over 8 years to get married so I'm sorry but your comment really isn't very helpful to me.
    Originally posted by evherkes
    I suspect, like many posters, you'll think any reply that doesn't agree with you "isn't very helpful"
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 15th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 8,632 Posts
    • 15,509 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    It is just a cake at the end of the day.

The wedding day is just that one day. The marriage is for rest of the your life.

Yes I am sure it is disappointing for you. But everyone I am sure had a great day. And if you ask anyone attending I doubt they would have noticed about the cake. The only people it was important to was you and maybe your husband.

What do you want the cake maker to do. Pay for you to have the whole day again?

Take the money and enjoy your marriage. There are lot more things that could have gone wrong. Don't let the cake ruin your special day.

Maybe one day you will be able to look back at it and laugh about it with your husband.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 15th Jun 17, 2:49 PM
    • 2,426 Posts
    • 2,593 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:49 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:49 PM
    The cake maker accepts the cake had problems, and is prepared to make a payment - how much do you want ?

After deciding that it is just a simple negotiation.
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:53 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    evherkes
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:53 PM
    For me I, I would want more than £80 back, as she did not even have the courtesy to make any contact with me after our wedding to even apologise. That is the insult for me, I've given someone my hard earned money and they don't even have the decency to hold their hands up until I contact them and then it's not even a third off to make any amends.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact it was ruined, that's a fact and it cannot be undone.
    Emily
    • meer53
    • By meer53 15th Jun 17, 2:53 PM
    • 8,824 Posts
    • 12,804 Thanks
    meer53
    Take the £80, it's a fair offer, it's a cake, move on.
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 2:56 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    evherkes
    No one mentioned about the cake because we hid it in the back of the room as it was hideous that's why there was no mention!
    Emily
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 15th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    There was no explanation of what "could" happen if certain things were chosen ingredient wise.
    Wow, you have managed to pass through life to get to an an age where you can marry but you were unaware that some things go soft and even melt when they get warm.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 15th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    • 8,632 Posts
    • 15,509 Thanks
    calleyw
    Wow, you have managed to pass through life to get to an an age where you can marry but you were unaware that some things go soft and even melt when they get warm.
    Originally posted by ssparks2003
    Maybe the op is not a baker. But I am not sure I would want what is a essence a victoria sandwich with extra bits in to hold up another 3 tiers of cake.

Hence why wedding cakes are normally fruit cake as it is dense and holds it shape.

Each to there own.

Yours

Calley

• thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 15th Jun 17, 3:08 PM
    • 5,450 Posts
    • 24,785 Thanks
    thorsoak
    For me I, I would want more than £80 back, as she did not even have the courtesy to make any contact with me after our wedding to even apologise. That is the insult for me, I've given someone my hard earned money and they don't even have the decency to hold their hands up until I contact them and then it's not even a third off to make any amends.

The cake was still edible, you handed over your hard-earned money to someone who made your cake, the manufacture of which incurred costs. The baker has offered you £80 recompense - that seems fair.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact it was ruined, that's a fact and it cannot be undone.

That is the point. Get over it.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    duplicate thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72701930#post72701930
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    evherkes
    I'm not a baker that's why I went to what was supposed to be an knowledgable baker to bring my idea to reality. What I expect is honesty, if it's not realistic then tell me the ifs and buts and then work out (together) what can work. I find ssparks2003 sarcasm uncalled for.

Can I just ask that if people want to post on this then they are actually of assistance rather than a passing opinion of me... I posted to ask for advice regarding the response I recieved as I feel that £80 is unacceptable. Just in case I haven't been clear up until this point.

Thanks
    Emily
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 15th Jun 17, 3:15 PM
    • 8,632 Posts
    • 15,509 Thanks
    calleyw
    Can I just ask that if people want to post on this then they are actually of assistance rather than a passing opinion of me... I posted to ask for advice regarding the response I recieved as I feel that £80 is unacceptable. Just in case I haven't been clear up until this point.

Thanks
    You don't get to choose what replies you get as you have posted on an open forum.

The point I think we are all trying to make is take the £80 and get on with your life.

How much do you want? The cake was served and eaten. So not like it all had to binned. If it was a 4 tier cake at £300 then its £75 a tier and they have offered £80.

Not sure why you are asking on this forum as you already have said the £80 is not enough. As one poster said go back and start a negotiation with the cake maker.

Yours

Calley

• andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 15th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    andydownes123
    I posted to ask for advice regarding the response I recieved as I feel that £80 is unacceptable. Just in case I haven't been clear up until this point.
    Can you send pictures? I feel that we ought to see the damage before commenting further. The picture you paint is a complete disaster...I can hardly believe a company would deliver something so bad it had to be removed from the room. My friend is a baker and they'd probably come clean and say the weather has wrecked it. It makes me think that the cake was fine when delivered and steadily ruined itself at the venue?

If the cake was fine when they left it, surely your beef is with the venue for not having adequate temperature control?
    • evherkes
    • By evherkes 15th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    evherkes
    I posted the bakers response and she agrees and acknowledges it was spoilt upon her arrival nothing to do with the venue
    Emily
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 15th Jun 17, 3:26 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    andydownes123
    I posted the bakers response and she agrees and acknowledges it was spoilt upon her arrival nothing to do with the venue
    Fair enough - can you use a image hosting service to post a picture. It might sway opinion on here and bolster your case. I use photobucket
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 15th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    jimbo747
    Forget about it OP.

Our wedding cake which was in shape of castle partly fell over during transport. Wife just stuffed it back up best she could and we got on with the day. If anyone was going to say anything we'd have said it was modeled on Riber Castle next to where we got married.

We laugh about it and you will too in future, if you let it go.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,332Posts Today

6,968Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin