Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • majorwally
    • By majorwally 15th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 127Posts
    • 45Thanks
    majorwally
    Is it OK to keep a dog in a shed?
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    Is it OK to keep a dog in a shed? 15th Jun 17 at 1:13 PM
    I personally wouldn't dream of it as I believe a pet should be part of the family.
    However, one of my neighbours leaves his dog in the shed 24/7.
    Comes home from work, opens the shed to feed dog, closes the shed till next morning.

I feel so sad for this dog.
    What sort of life is that.

I have NEVER seen him take the dog for a walk and I don't think the dog is allowed to even run around in the backyard surrounding the shed (I can't actually see the yard, just the shed)

I was so concerned I phoned the RSPCA but they said it's not illegal so nothing they could do!

Think I might dognap him and let him run mad in my garden!
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 60,268 Posts
    • 352,112 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    In a shed ... with the dog having free access to come/go as he likes is fine - it's a big kennel. Nobody used to have dogs in the house, people had kennels in the garden.

Locked up like that ... no, that's just wrong.

Phone somebody .... an expert .... speak to the RSPCA again. Maybe you didn't use their alert words.... think carefully about how you phrase it. Then say it slowly to them so they listen.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 15th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 3,891 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    Someone near me did the same. He sometimes used the place as a workshop but mostly the poor dog was on its own most of the day. Pedigree !!!!! (the dog not the owner). I suspected he was a back street breeder. Nothing was ever done about it.

Edited to add that MSE is being a trifle over sensitive - for the exclamation marks substitute a word meaning female dog.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 15th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 2,762 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    Where does the dog toilet?

He must clean the shed out sometime, surely.

Are you sure he never walks it? A neighbour across from mentioned to me that my next door neighbour , who had recently moved in, never took his dog out.

I was able to assure he walked it every night at 11 pm. His wife was in hospital and he worked all day, visited her at night, made his meal then walked the dog. the dog was in a kennel in the garden, not shut in the house all day.

Some days he took the dog to work with him.
    • robotrobo
    • By robotrobo 15th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    robotrobo
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    Is it OK to keep a dog in a shed?

HE KEEPS THE WIFE NICE AND WARM!.
    • Doody
    • By Doody 17th Jun 17, 7:47 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Doody
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:47 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:47 AM
    My experience of the RSPCA is that will not respond unless and animal is dead or dying. A neighbour had a young dog in a decent enclosure at the end of the garden. It was young and separated from its family and howled in distress most of the time. The RSPCA did not respond, although IIRC they said if it had appeared younger they might have been able to take action. There were also guard dogs fairly near that were kept in small enclosures that paced incessantly in their little spaces. The inspector said they were fed and watered, and had exercise when they went out on their 'jobs' and that legally his hands were tied.
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 17th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    Paradigm
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    It's wrong (in my opinion) but not illegal if the dog is fed & watered adequately but in these temps that shed must be like a sauna & that's not good, possibly dangerous for any dog.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • JIL
    • By JIL 18th Jun 17, 11:08 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 18,545 Thanks
    JIL
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:08 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:08 PM
    That makes me so sad, why has he got a dog? It does not seem to be serving any purpose. I think I would be writing letters to the RSPCA on a daily basis saying it's being mistreated. They will get so fed up they should pop round and check it out.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 19th Jun 17, 10:05 AM
    • 18,615 Posts
    • 42,773 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:05 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:05 AM
    Surely it must be too hot at the moment for that dog to be locked in a sweltering shed all day? Maybe try that angle with RSPCA?

Could you put a thermometer in your own shed to see how hot it gets to back up the likelyhood that it could get hot enough to could kill the dog?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 19th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 5,546 Posts
    • 27,439 Thanks
    bugslet
    I think I'd find someone that wants a dog and liberate it one day.

As far as the RSPCA are concerned, their hands are tied by the law unfortunately.
    • bmthmark
    • By bmthmark 19th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    bmthmark
    Its all about the way you tell the RSPCA. If you have said there is a dog in a shed, he gets fed and watered but its not nice. Then they will not be able to do anything as everything is fine.
    However if you were to say the dog is locked in a shed and doesn't look well due to excessive heat and that you are extremely worried about the health of the dog. If you haven't seen them clean the shed out, mention that as well. That may get a better reaction.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 19th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 5,951 Posts
    • 7,699 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/69390/pb13333-cop-dogs-091204.pdf

You may find it is helpful to refer to the Animal Welfare Act and to specifically state you are concerned that the dogs needs are not being met - e.g lack of suitable environment (concerns about heat, lack of clenliness etc) and stimualationa nd exercise.

Depending on the size of the garden and where the shed is - have you noticed any smell? If the owner is not cleaning it out then I'd think (particularly in this heat) it would be very noticeable, and environmental health may also be interested.

However, if you don't notice any smell then it may be that the dog is in fact being appropriately cleaned and exercised, it's just that the owner's timetable is different to yours so you don't see it.
    • bellanoisette
    • By bellanoisette 20th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    bellanoisette
    Wicked people. My old neighbours left their dog in a very small yard with no food or shelter and the dog was so anxious it would flip its water bowl over. It was left out in torrential rain and every weather so I called RSPCA, they went to inspect and said it was fine he had access to water even though the bowl was overturned. The dog would trod in its own faeces and paced for 12 hours at a time wiating to be let inside and was underweight. In the end we lifted the fence up and brought it in to ours to feed him on the days they were out and it was so happy for human contact but would urinate while it walked as it was so anxious. Then they moved. Horrible couple always smashing their house up. I will never forgive RSPCA for not doing anything. Could you speak to the "owner" and ask if they would be willing to let you have the poor thing?
    • Marie90
    • By Marie90 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Marie90
    Well, that's not right to keep a dog in a shed, especially if it's big dog because it can provoke lots of disease like radicular pain or other bone illnesses. but unfortunately you cannot dognap it((
    • majorwally
    • By majorwally 18th Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    majorwally
    Thanks for all your advice.

Unbelievably I saw him walking the dog the other day. First time I ever saw that. It's quite bigger than I had anticipated, looks like a whippet cross to me. A bit thin but not malnurished.
    I also had a closer look at the shed while he was out. One small square window and one door with one window in it, neither looked openable to me.
    So even though I have seen the dog is ok, I still don't like it, so I'm gonna report him again, using the heat angle I think.

Or like someone said, Liberate the dog myself!

I'll be back!
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 18th Jul 17, 5:44 PM
    • 4,867 Posts
    • 3,551 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    Poor little thing
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 21st Jul 17, 7:20 AM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 2,996 Thanks
    Froglet
    Please keep on at the RSPCA,what a horrible existence for the poor dog.Why can't he at least leave the door open for it,was there even any bedding ?please do whatever it takes,and let us know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,843Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin