Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frosty111
    • By Frosty111 15th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Frosty111
    Camping trip cancelled but paid in full
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    Camping trip cancelled but paid in full 15th Jun 17 at 12:48 PM
    I booked one nights camping for 4 adults last week over the phone. The lady asked for my card details to take payment which I gave her. I then received an email from the campsite stating payment had been taken and it also stated that payment for the first night was non- refundable and non transferable. I was only staying one night so it was payment in full.
    I then realised I had booked the wrong campsite with the same name and this campsite was way too far to go for the night. The date I booked was 30th June and I made the payment on 10th June, I have had to cancel. I have sent an email but I think they will just say im not entitled to my money back. They informed me the payment was non refundable after I had paid it, Ive checked the web site and it doesn't state it anywhere on there that the deposit is non refundable . Am I entitled to my money back as A) it's within the 7 days cooling off period B) I have given 15 days notice of cancelation before my arrival . Thank you
Page 1
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 15th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 3,441 Posts
    • 2,851 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    You don't have a 7 day cooling off period.
    It's likely the campsite wouldn't be able to fill your space at short notice, so I don't see why they should give a refund - it's not their fault you booked the wrong one.

I'd chalk it up to experience, and double check next time. For the record, I've done similar!
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 16th Jun 17, 4:35 AM
    • 10,960 Posts
    • 8,228 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:35 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 4:35 AM
    Consumer Contract Regulations.

Although accommodation to be provided on specific dates is exempt from the right to cancel, it is not exempt from the rest of the CCRs.

In particular before you are bound by the contract, the trader needs to give you all the information in schedule 2 in a durable medium.

Part of that information includes:
    (o)where under regulation 28, 36 or 37 there is no right to cancel or the right to cancel may be lost, the information that the consumer will not benefit from a right to cancel, or the circumstances under which the consumer loses the right to cancel;

(u)where applicable, the existence and the conditions of deposits or other financial guarantees to be paid or provided by the consumer at the request of the trader;
    The information to be provided before making a distance contract also gives us:
    (6) Any information that the trader gives the consumer as required by this regulation is to be treated as included as a term of the contract.

(7) A change to any of that information, made before entering into the contract or later, is not effective unless expressly agreed between the consumer and the trader.
    However, I'm assuming for one nights stay its not a huge amount of money? If not, you may want to weigh up how much time its worth spending on it if the campsite still refuse to refund.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jun 17, 10:47 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:47 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:47 AM
    what is the site and website, so other can check in case you missed something as most places i stay at does state either 1 night stays are non refundable , but most now say a min 3 night stay.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    OP said they booked via phone.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,017Posts Today

6,737Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin