Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jaguar Skills
    • By Jaguar Skills 15th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 376Posts
    • 58Thanks
    Jaguar Skills
    Does anyone know how to rectify this?
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    Does anyone know how to rectify this? 15th Jun 17 at 11:50 AM

We have rust running off the metal part of the bathroom wall and also a build up of I am not sure what between the tiles?

Any advice on how we can stop it/get rid of it/rectify it?

We have tried bleaching and picking it off with a knife etc but seems to just take the mastic off which I don't want to do?
Page 1
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 15th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 2,258 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    It looks like mould and limescale to me.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 15th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 4,014 Posts
    • 3,434 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    I can't quite make it out, but is that standard silicone sealant ? If it is, and bleach is doing no good, then the easiest thing is to remove it and apply fresh sealant - a mould-resistant one designed specifically for bathrooms. It's not diffifcult or expensive to do.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 15th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 7,989 Posts
    • 7,225 Thanks
    phill99
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    Two things:

The brown/tan coloured stuff IS NOT rust. Sorry to say it's actually your body fat. The oils off of your skin get washed off with soap and for some bizarre reason get attracted to grout. You need to mix bleach with bicarb into a paste. Apply the paste to the discoloured area, leave for a couple of hours then gently scrub with a nail brush while rinsing off.

The black mould is in the silicon. The best thing to do is get it remasticed.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Jaguar Skills
    • By Jaguar Skills 15th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Jaguar Skills
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    Thanks everyone.

Phill I thought your original post was going to be a sarcastic one!

Thanks for the tip. Do you know how much paste to bicarb is required?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,458Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin