Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ellectrastar
    • By ellectrastar 15th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    • 36Posts
    • 6Thanks
    ellectrastar
    Which online agent to use?
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    Which online agent to use? 15th Jun 17 at 11:41 AM
    I appreciate this may be a topic that's been raised before but looking for some advice please.

I want to use an online estate agent and had a valuation from Purple Bricks. Their agent came, valued the property, gave me all the info etc. We didn't proceed at the time but are now pretty much there but trying to contact them has been hard work. I'm still waiting for a response from an email sent on Monday and this isn't the first time!

So, I was looking at other agencies (namely Emoov - who do a nice advert - and House Simple - because I've seen their ad on tv!) and wondered if anyone had any experiences or preference, or are they all as good or bad as each other?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 9,839 Posts
    • 12,484 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    Long current thread about PB - it'll be on the first couple of pages somewhere.

I was going to go online and chose either eMoov or housenetwork. Not sure I'd bother with the rest due to mixed reviews or shorter tie-ins. Each to their own - you'll find fantastic and crap reviews for all so go with what suits you.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 15th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    My strong recommendation is not to go with Purple Trick Brick, because your prospective buyers will have a tough time in going through their website to arrange a viewing.

Also there are multiple issues reported in this forum with regards to their pay upfront fees and quite a lot of unreasonable charges.

Also you would be bound by contract to use their solicitor which is quite expensive!
    Last edited by harshitguptaiitr; 15-06-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: corrected their to there
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 15th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    LittleMax
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    I know it's not on your list but as a potential viewer I have experienced difficulties getting a viewing through Tepilo. It needs to be a big consideration when choosing any agent - hight st ones can be as bad. Will the right people get to see your property?
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 15th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 3,147 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Debating which online EA to use is like comparing which is the best STI to have....
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 9,839 Posts
    • 12,484 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    PS my next-door-but-one neighbour is on with housenetwork and, although they've not sold yet, they've been impressed with them. They always get back to them within a day or two with feedback, and they went out of their way to take pics of the local area too, not just their house. Actually, I think they've been more efficient than my high st agent (actually considered one of the best in the area).
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • ellectrastar
    • By ellectrastar 15th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ellectrastar
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    I was quite impressed with the agent they sent, they explained everything and the 24/7 access for sellers/buyers seemed a good idea. I just feel wary about this lack of response, even considering I have said I am pretty much ready to go. I don't think I'm being too unreasonable time-wise to expect an answer or at least an acknowledgement. The first time it happened they said problems with email. Then the next time I emailed I tried calling a few hours later to make sure they had it - no reply but then they text me to confirm email received and answered my question. Not sure why they didn't just call back. Then this time nothing; and if I chase again it feels like I'm doing them a favour when I would have thought they'd be pretty keen to get me paying up!!

I do know that you're not bound to use their conveyancing service but you have to pay upfront if you don't. At first their solicitor fees seemed reasonable too but whereas the other quotes I got listed everything within the final fee their one listed a final fee but then in the small print there were three or four extra charges which totted up. This is what my email was about but it's been pretty quiet...

I'll search out the thread on PB. I'm sure for every good experience there'll be a bad one. I guess they're all pretty much the same...
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 15th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,589 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    trying to contact them has been hard work. I'm still waiting for a response from an email sent on Monday and this isn't the first time!
    Originally posted by ellectrastar
    If this is your experience when you're essentially trying to say "Here, please take my money." Does it bode well for how they deal with the rest of the process?
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 15th Jun 17, 1:34 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,589 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:34 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:34 PM

I do know that you're not bound to use their conveyancing service but you have to pay upfront if you don't. At first their solicitor fees seemed reasonable too but whereas the other quotes I got listed everything within the final fee their one listed a final fee but then in the small print there were three or four extra charges which totted up. This is what my email was about but it's been pretty quiet...
    There is no way they can make a profit charging £849, so they are trying to make money in other areas of their business.
    • ellectrastar
    • By ellectrastar 15th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ellectrastar
    If this is your experience when you're essentially trying to say "Here, please take my money." Does it bode well for how they deal with the rest of the process?
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    Absolutely not! So far so glad that I didn't click "instruct".
    • aneary
    • By aneary 15th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    As someone who was looking for a flat I had a hard time getting a viewing after I had eventually viewed a split floor flat, I told the agent there and then I wouldn't go any further as although the flat was nice my dad wouldn't actually be able to get up to the second floor.

I was then contacted many times by phone and email to provide feedback after that I decided not to view any properties for sale with purple bricks as it was actually not worth the hassle.

However that is just my view and I'm sure others have different views.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 15th Jun 17, 2:26 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,589 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Absolutely not! So far so glad that I didn't click "instruct".
    There are occasions where using an online-only company is worth doing. Typically when you have a highly saleable property, and are prepared to put in quite a bit of time and effort yourself, particularly once the offer has been accepted.

Selling a property and getting it to the day of completion is not quite as simple as uploading a couple of photos on to Rightmove then putting your feet up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,458Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin