Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 15th Jun 17, 11:30 AM
    • 790Posts
    • 198Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Previous applicants do not apply
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:30 AM
    Previous applicants do not apply 15th Jun 17 at 11:30 AM

When previous applicants have been interviewed and are unsuccessful, the company states previous applicants do not apply.

Why interview if the people weren’t good enough!

WHAT DOES THIS REALLY MEAN?

Thanks
Page 1
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 15th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 3,922 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    It means if you have already applied and failed don't bother re-applying.

Thought it was self evident, or am I missing something?
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 15th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 3,061 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    They found out they weren't good enough by interviewing them. What's the point of going through it again now they know they don't want them?
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 15th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 4,056 Posts
    • 6,566 Thanks
    sangie595

When previous applicants have been interviewed and are unsuccessful, the company states previous applicants do not apply.

Thanks
    Originally posted by tazwhoever
    It really means exactly what it says. If you have already applied don't bother to do it again. They either didn't like what they saw, or they didn't have enough applications, but either way, don't apply again.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 15th Jun 17, 11:43 AM
    • 5,640 Posts
    • 6,433 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:43 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:43 AM

Thanks
    Are you serious?

Read what you put and work it out!
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 15th Jun 17, 12:02 PM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 27,976 Thanks
    bugslet
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:02 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:02 PM

Thanks
    Sometimes people look really good on paper, but in reality are just lacking in some key quality.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 15th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 28,539 Posts
    • 72,681 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    Sometimes people look really good on paper, but in reality are just lacking in some key quality.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Or, on meeting them, the interviewers realise that the applicant wouldn't fit into the team.

It's important to get a good personality match as well as someone with the right qualification.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 15th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 5,033 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    It's a perfectly valid question. It isn't uncommon for two people who go to an interview to be good enough, but there's only one job. If someone asked this board "I didn't get a job but was given good feedback and the post has just been re-advertised [without "previous interviewees do not apply" on it], should I apply" we'd all say yes. So to automatically bar previous applicants from re-applying may come across as short-sighted and I can see why the OP is frustrated.

But it's perfectly possible that the company has a high turnover and hires everyone who meets the standard, or that they have already rung up the unsuccessful candidates who were good enough, in which case there is indeed no point in other unsuccessful candidates applying.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 15th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 28,539 Posts
    • 72,681 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    So to automatically bar previous applicants from re-applying may come across as short-sighted and I can see why the OP is frustrated.
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    I've been on an interview panel when we've been disappointed with all the candidates and haven't appointed anyone.

When we re-advertised, there was no point any of those people re-applying because they couldn't have been seen again. It would have been a waste of their time.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 15th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 27,976 Thanks
    bugslet
    I've been on an interview panel when we've been disappointed with all the candidates and haven't appointed anyone.

When we re-advertised, there was no point any of those people re-applying because they couldn't have been seen again. It would have been a waste of their time.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Exactly that ^^^

Or, on meeting them, the interviewers realise that the applicant wouldn't fit into the team.

It's important to get a good personality match as well as someone with the right qualification.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    I was trying to be polite and not say, 'the prospect of spending more than two minutes in your incredibly dull company would make me want to gouge my eyes out with a blunt instrument'.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 15th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 7,452 Thanks
    Gavin83
    How long does it apply for, the same position or are we talking all future roles as well? If the same position then fair enough, it's a waste of everyone's time to reapply. However if it's two years after the previous interview then that person could have improved drastically in that time. For the record I've never seen this on a job advert.

Saying that interviews aren't fullproof. I know people who give terrible interviews but are excellent at their jobs and vice versa. However I'm not sure if there's a better way.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 15th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 4,111 Posts
    • 4,240 Thanks
    TELLIT01

Thanks
    It seems pretty obvious to me. If you applied for the job previously, and were unsuccessful, don't apply again. Many job adverts will receive dozens, if not hundreds, of applicants. The last thing they need to be doing is trying to sift out the dross from previous interviews.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 15th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 28,539 Posts
    • 72,681 Thanks
    Mojisola
    How long does it apply for, the same position or are we talking all future roles as well? If the same position then fair enough, it's a waste of everyone's time to reapply.

However if it's two years after the previous interview then that person could have improved drastically in that time. For the record I've never seen this on a job advert.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    I've only ever seen it used when the same position was still to be filled.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 15th Jun 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I reckon the OP has misinterpreted as 'do not need to appy', meaning they'll be fast tracked to interview stage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,908Users online

Martin's Twitter