Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 16,625Posts
    • 41,698Thanks
    Pollycat
    Eat well for less - series 4
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    Eat well for less - series 4 15th Jun 17 at 11:09 AM
    I can't see a thread for this, I think it was the first episode last night (just come back from hols so not sure).

The Caan family seemed nice, but were spending £14k per year on food. Including a massive £80 per week on takeaways (2 adults, 2 kids).

The visit to the nutritionist showed the massive amounts of salt and fat and calories that is in takeaways.
    A pizza had 2800 calories.

They did a recipe for home-made lamb doner which saved the family a fortune and sounded really nice.

I might try it - will need to buy a loaf tin first though.

I've been critical of previous series but I actually quite enjoyed the programme - although I still find Greg Wallace irritating.
Page 2
    • GrowingPlants
    • By GrowingPlants 18th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    GrowingPlants
    Eat Well for Less? is being repeated at 5:30pm tonight.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 18th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 3,525 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I thought the little boy with the glasses in the first episode was so cute! He stole the show.

I just started watching the second episode, £14k a year spent on food!

"It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 19th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    When i was watching that programme, the other night. One of the things i noticed was, the two presenters told the family off, 'cos they'd bought tins of beans when they already had beans in the house. If you come to my house the freezer & cupboards are bulging with things i use regularly. I don't know how many but there must be dozens of tins of tomatoes; Weetabix, and tins of tuna. And still if they're on offer i'll get more. I'm not going to wait until i almost run out, then have to pay more.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 16,625 Posts
    • 41,698 Thanks
    Pollycat
    When i was watching that programme, the other night. One of the things i noticed was, the two presenters told the family off, 'cos they'd bought tins of beans when they already had beans in the house. If you come to my house the freezer & cupboards are bulging with things i use regularly. I don't know how many but there must be dozens of tins of tomatoes; Weetabix, and tins of tuna. And still if they're on offer i'll get more. I'm not going to wait until i almost run out, then have to pay more.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    I have lots of storage space so I will buy tomatoes, beans, toilet rolls etc when they are on offer. I'm particular about what brands I buy.

I like Heinz plum & chopped tomatoes.
    They're hard to get hold of.
    B&M do them pretty cheap sometimes (£1.20 for a pack of 4) so when I see them, I'll maybe buy 16 tins if the BB date is long.
    Doing a batch of bolognaise, sausage casserole, chilli etc, I can easily use 5 tins.

You do need to have a rotation system.
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 19th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 9,563 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Mm SamsReturn I think that a lot of us on here have stock cupboards with the same of a lot of items.
    I have lots of rice. Think I have 6kg of brown rice, 4kg of white rice, 1kg pudding rice and even rice flour (not sure how much) for example. As I use them I always replace by a certain point. I bought the brown rice when on offer.
    I do the same with tins.
    I buy the big bags of lentils even though it's just me eating them.
    I could make many meals with what I have in now. It is this way of buying that saves me money though.
    28 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Jun 17, 12:32 PM
    • 22,603 Posts
    • 46,756 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Fair enough, but do you also throw out perfectly edible food to the value of £4k pa?

I thought not.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Jun 17, 1:06 PM
    • 16,625 Posts
    • 41,698 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Fair enough, but do you also throw out perfectly edible food to the value of £4k pa?

I thought not.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I think there's a big difference between buying tinned and other non-perishable items like washing liquid, loo rolls etc when they're on offer and filling your trolley with bags of salad, fruit, veg and dairy items that you'll end up throwing away because you've not given any thought to what you're going to do with them.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 19th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 5,422 Thanks
    kathrynha
    That bit niggled me too.
    I like to stock up on long shelf life products when they are on offer.
    I especially did it lots the other year when my hubby was in and out of temporary work. I stocked up when he was working, so that I only had fresh stuff to buy when he wasn't.
    Husband asked a few times if I was intending to insulate the loft with loo roll and rice
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 43 lb
    Last updated: 13th June 2017
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 19th Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 6,005 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    It is exactly that! I could be a multi-billionaire but if I have space in the freezer I'm unlikely to pass up on a bakery item adorned with a yellow sticker!

I reckon Mr Caan lived with a bit of scarcity during his childhood or perhaps went without sometimes, there's got to be a psychological explanation for his fridge-has-gotta-be-full-at-all-times syndrome. I quite liked Mrs Caan, she was a moderating influence on his profligacy.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

VfM4meplse that was my thought exactly!
    Debt Free as of 2013 BUT now got the biggest debt of all.....house!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 19th Jun 17, 4:32 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Just catching up on this thread and have to say what a lovely post yesterday from JackieO. Your philosophy on life is spot on - family and the time spent with them is so important, as is appreciating the simple things in life. And well done on the poppy knitting that shows you also care about others too - I'm not sure I'd have had the patience to do 100+! Also, I remember when you first started the LFHW thread that you very generously donated the money you'd saved to a charity. These may only be small acts of kindness but I'm sure they are much appreciated by the recipients. A real antidote to the dreadful things that are happening all around us just now.

We also like the IoW but, not being drivers, find it quite a trek down from Yorkshire. The first time we went on a coach holiday and did the usual tourist trips organised by the coach company, but after that we made our own way around using public transport. It's a different pace of life, more relaxed, almost like turning the clock back.

I thought the Caan family were very likeable but, oh my, what an eye-watering amount they throw away! That would feed me and DH for a whole year. I really hope their stint on EWFL sets them on track to be more frugal and eating more healthily in the future. And so nice to see that the little boy was now eating - and more importantly - enjoying the fresh veg.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

May GC: £160 - £149.63 = £10.37, NSDs 20/28 June GC: £200 - £198.63 = £1.37, NSDs 16/35
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 20th Jun 17, 6:17 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 6,542 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    I always wonder what these families earn to spend so much on food! The shop well for less sister show also had me rolling my eyes at how much people spend on clothes, tech and household furnishings! I am not the most thrifty but even I am better than these people! Though they are the extreme hence why they get to be on TV.
    The problem is they just mindlessly put things in the trolley without a meal plan, I learned the error of this when I was 19 and in university!! I always have meal plans, I have a word doc on my PC which I update when planning each food shop with my menu for the week.
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    • 58,716 Posts
    • 341,484 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I "took a special trip out" today, to a big supermarket....what I thought was my favourite - and I discovered that it's got no food!

There were thousands of packaged products, but I struggled to find food. Things I expected to find simply weren't there. Shelves were, instead, filled with "trendy food" + all that "free from/gluten free/taste free" stuff....

Too much choice - and nothing you want/need. Also, bizarrely, I found they'd split up what they had so you had to hunt for it. In particular I'd looked online for scones - and I had on my list "pack of 10 scones for 49p". I found scones - lots of scones ... all a LOT pricier. These were all on a long carousel shelving unit .... and as I looked around the other side, there were more scones, hidden at the bottom of the far end of the other side (a long way from the first scones)...so I looked there. Not a single packet of the scones I'd seen online.

Most people would have just grabbed any one of the pretty packages of scones available .... I was after the cheapo ones and walked out with 0 scones.

People are "engineered" and psychologically profiled to buy what THEY want you to buy ...and force you to really hunt for things if you make a list.

I only had about 12 items on the list, I was in that shop nearly 1½ hours trying to find everything.... I still came away without 2-3 items on the list ... and I had to traipse half way back along the shop to put back something I'd picked up in error because they'd separated similar items.

I was very confused/lost. I was looking for squash and thought I'd found it, loaded up 2 bottles and realised it was juice. So put it back. Then I realised I was in the juice aisle, so found juice and chose 3 bottles. 5 aisles further along I found juice... hang on, what's this...? I was in long life juice now, I realised I'd picked up "fresh juice" and this aisle was cheaper, so I chose again, then had to go back the 5 aisles to return the bottles I'd picked up in error.

Too much choice - of all the wrong stuff.... all over the place....
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 22nd Jun 17, 10:05 AM
    • 9,603 Posts
    • 53,851 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    PN. Too much choice ....

I agree - that's why I rarely go to the big 4 nowadays and stick with the discounters. It just takes too long to find what I want.

Smaller shops, simply laid out. I usually get everything I want and can be in an out in no time, unless there are long queues at the checkout of course.

Last nights programme was bitter sweet. I won't spoil it For you but it's well worth watching.

Nice family and it does make you count your blessings.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 22nd Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    • 16,625 Posts
    • 41,698 Thanks
    Pollycat
    PN. Too much choice ....

I agree - that's why I rarely go to the big 4 nowadays and stick with the discounters. It just takes too long to find what I want.

Smaller shops, simply laid out. I usually get everything I want and can be in an out in no time, unless there are long queues at the checkout of course.

Last nights programme was bitter sweet. I won't spoil it For you but it's well worth watching.

Nice family and it does make you count your blessings.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    They were a nice family, I thought the girls were lovely.

The ratatouille lasagne looked very tasty and I've copied the recipe from the BBC website.
    I think I might put aubergine in it too.

When I did Slimming World many years ago, they recommended low fat cottage cheese as a topping instead of bechamel sauce.
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 22nd Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    GreenQueen
    I "took a special trip out" today, to a big supermarket....what I thought was my favourite - and I discovered that it's got no food!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Have noticed this a lot recently, e.g. you can get dozens of different packets of cous cous with different artificial flavours, but struggle to find a pack of plain cous cous to cook yourself with real spices, herbs and vegetables. Looking at the size of the packets, I assume that is because they make so much more profit on the adulterated versions.

GQ
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 22nd Jun 17, 11:58 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 6,542 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    Have noticed this a lot recently, e.g. you can get dozens of different packets of cous cous with different artificial flavours, but struggle to find a pack of plain cous cous to cook yourself with real spices, herbs and vegetables. Looking at the size of the packets, I assume that is because they make so much more profit on the adulterated versions.

GQ
    Originally posted by GreenQueen
    I have noticed the same GreenQueen! I am sure the prices of plain couscous and other grains have gone up lots too! Another bugbear is the fruit and veg in supermarkets. I try to buy seasonal and do not have space to grow my own. The fruit and veg is often tasteless and goes soft/ mouldy very quickly these days! And why do they feel the need to put them all in plastic bags/ tubs? I am sure paper bags and cardboard trays would be much cheaper, not to mention they can be recycled.
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 22nd Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 4,511 Posts
    • 33,222 Thanks
    joedenise
    That ratatouille lasagne looked really good and will add that onto my reportoire! Even DH said it looked good which is saying something because whenever I make anything veggie he always asks where the meat is or something like "are we having that with lamb chops/steak/pork steaks - take your pick!

Glad to hear the recipe is on the website - not all the recipes seem to be.

Denise
    • catkins
    • By catkins 22nd Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 5,373 Posts
    • 11,195 Thanks
    catkins
    I wish they would show properly what the substitute items are. Sometimes I manage to see but other times, despite rewinding several times, I just can't make the name on the product out.

I too hate food waste. If people want to spend £500 a week on food and can afford to then fine but don't throw loads of it away. I rarely throw anything away and get really angry with myself on the odd occasion I do. Even veg peelings get used for soup in my house.

I agree with the poster that said about supermarkets not selling "proper food". I don't want ready this and ready that but the supermarkets are full of them.

I wanted some rice the other day and the shelves were full of packs of instant rice with various things added. There was barely any packs of just rice to cook yourself. I did manage to get brown rice but also wanted red which they didn't have.

I am always amazed at the microwave or boil in the bag rice - as I said shelf upon shelf full. That and all the jars of pasta sauces.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • esmy
    • By esmy 22nd Jun 17, 10:44 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    esmy
    I make a version of the ratatouille lasagne regularly and it goes down well with meat eaters and veggies alike, similar to the recipe online but with real onions, aubergines, courgettes and peppers, blobs of light cream cheese in place of sauce and a yoghurt and egg topping. That's tomorrow's tea sorted, then!
    • JIL
    • By JIL 22nd Jun 17, 11:28 PM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 17,647 Thanks
    JIL
    The substitutions that they say they will keep are all from different supermarkets, there's Asda, lidl, waitrose, Tesco, Morrisons, aldi as well as stuff from the local butchers.
    How are they going to swap, if they now have to go round all these different places?

The latest family seemed lovely, they all are really. But I was astonished when we saw the stores of all the dried goods they had. I think we on this board could have cut their shopping down even further by using up most of their stores.
    Last edited by JIL; 22-06-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

2,012Users online

Martin's Twitter