Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • *Rainbow*Warrior*
    • By *Rainbow*Warrior* 15th Jun 17, 10:57 AM
    • 332Posts
    • 64Thanks
    *Rainbow*Warrior*
    credit cards and mortgage application
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:57 AM
    credit cards and mortgage application 15th Jun 17 at 10:57 AM
    A work colleague is applying for a mortgage. Her bank has said when calculating how much they can lend, they will deduct 5% of her income for each credit card she owns (I think just for having the card, irrespective of whether or not there is debt on it - though I'm not 100% certain about this).

So this person has 3 credit cards, so they are deducting 15% of her salary when doing the calculation.

Is this normal nowadays? Or is it likely to be just the particular lender she has gone to?
Page 1
    • Lilla D
    • By Lilla D 15th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Lilla D
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    The information you have is not quite correct:
    - quite a few banks do deduct 3-5% of the credit card balance regardless of what she's actually paying on them (it catches people out especially if the cards are on 0% and they only make the minimum payment every month)
    - if she does repay the cards in full every month or she commits to repay them in full by the time the mortgage application completes, then a lot of lenders can ignore the current balance, but not everyone
    - the 3-5% applies to the card balances, NOT her income and NOT the card limit

Hope the above helps
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • *Rainbow*Warrior*
    • By *Rainbow*Warrior* 15th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    *Rainbow*Warrior*
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    Thank you Lilla D... that's what I've found in the past when I've applied for a mortgage, but I'd never heard of this deduction just for having a credit card so I thought it might be something new.

Sounds like I've misunderstood what she said (or she has misunderstood what her bank said). Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,739Posts Today

8,064Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin