Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • treadstone66
    • By treadstone66 15th Jun 17, 10:30 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    treadstone66
    Garden boundary issue?
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:30 AM
    Garden boundary issue? 15th Jun 17 at 10:30 AM
    I took this picture this morning so as you can see, the fence we erected in September 2016 is on the left hand side of our garden. (edit, as a new user, I can't include links) He put his shed up against the 6ft wooden fence on the left hand side of the garden.

Background:

We own, the neighbours who we have gotten on well with are renting (if not being the homeowner makes a difference?). The neighbourís rent from a relative, an uncle of his I think.

About 18 months ago, the old fence came down during some heavy winds.

The neighbour and I spoke about resolving it.

He said he wanted to put up a large shed and use the wall of the wooden shed as the boundary line. I said I was happy to put up a fence and pay for it myself. At this time, although I didnít say it outright to him, I thought a shed wall as a boundary line was a terrible idea - if we ever try to sell our property, someone coming in might ask how the neighbour planned on maintaining his shed for example. In my opinion, itís better to keep a clear diving boundary which can be maintained on both sides.

Anyway, he seemed ok that we put up the fence which we did.

A few months later, he was erecting his shed. My wife checked how it was going with him (i was out) and she knew enough to check that he was leaving space between his shed and our fence. He said he was.

I've had a busy time at work so didnít have time/energy or interest to challenge him at the time when I saw where his shed was placed.
    Any rainfall from his pitched roof will fall on our side.
    He knows we are planning to use this space.
    He canít now put up guttering because it will protrude on our side of the boundary.
    I didnít care too much at the time because I had other priorities.
    But if we want to sell in future, it looks like a dispute waiting to happen.
    Who has priority?
    (The new fence is where the old one was so I donít think there is an issue with itís placement.)
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Page 1
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    Any rainfall from his pitched roof will fall on our side.
    He knows we are planning to use this space.
    Originally posted by treadstone66
    I guess the rules are different for solid walls and a wooden shed?

Does it matter where the rain falls, I guess it depends on the size of the shed.
    I am sure there will be other replies.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 15th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 13,978 Posts
    • 13,495 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    Are you suggesting that your garden would be somehow more damaged by the extra few millimetres of rain that may fall in it as a result of this?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    • 9,318 Posts
    • 7,255 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    Neither of my sheds, nor the greenhouse have guttering
    • treadstone66
    • By treadstone66 16th Jun 17, 6:29 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    treadstone66
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:29 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:29 AM
    But isnt there a rule about extensions on houses and in particular the roofs of extensions that extra rainfall should not result on the other peoples property?
    Maybe this isnt a rule.
    Maybe it doesnt apply here.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jun 17, 7:30 AM
    • 22,391 Posts
    • 87,045 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:30 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:30 AM
    Have you asked him if he'd like to put guttering on his shed? Seems like the first option I'd consider, as I really wouldn't care about the few cm of overhang.

Other options could involve putting a deflector onto your fence top, taking the panel away, and similar passive-aggressive responses, but it just sounds like your neighbour is a bit clueless and needs help to understand the issue..

It's hardly something that would jump out at me if viewing a house that was for sale.

What are you going to use the space for? Often, when planning works of some kind it's possible to resolve existing problems as well at the design stage.
    Working subliminally.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    • 22,391 Posts
    • 87,045 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    But isnt there a rule about extensions on houses and in particular the roofs of extensions....
    Yes, but this is a shed, so its very unlikely the council's building control officer will be involved.
    Working subliminally.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 16th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 3,366 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    Why not make use of it and put your own guttering up to feed a water butt.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 16th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    But isnt there a rule about extensions on houses and in particular the roofs of extensions that extra rainfall should not result on the other peoples property?
    Maybe this isnt a rule. Maybe it doesnt apply here.
    Its a shed, not an extension.

Normally Planning Permission or Building Regulation approval is not required provided that: Sheds and greenhouses do not cover more than half of the area of the garden; not including the area occupied by the house. It contains no sleeping accommodation and the floor area does not exceed 15 square metres.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

353Posts Today

2,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin