Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toc25
    • By toc25 15th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    • 224Posts
    • 222Thanks
    toc25
    What kind of survey?
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    What kind of survey? 15th Jun 17 at 10:12 AM
    Hi I was just wondering if anyone knew a bit about surveys. My buyer has had one and the man just turned up he was here 5 minutes and then left. Does that sound like just a valuation not a survey. I was expecting it to be a lot longer. He didn't look at the boiler or ask for any certificates. Didn't do anything apart from look in each room briefly writing notes on a clip board.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 9,634 Posts
    • 12,150 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    Sounds like a valuation if literally 5 mins. I've never been asked for certificates by a surveyor though, nor have they done anything other than glance at the boiler - they might mention it if it's old but they'd prob not give much of an opinion other than 'get an expert in'.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 15th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    The surveyor will highlight any certificates that the solicitor should ask for, but will not ask for them themselves. Surveyors aren't qualified to advise on gas work beyond the very basics, so unless it's obviously an old boiler they will just advise than an expert take a look.
    • toc25
    • By toc25 15th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    My boiler is in a locked outbuilding (part of the house) he didn't even go in there I offered to unlock it and let him have a look but he just said he didn't need to.

On the homebuyer report for the house we are buying the surveyor said he had seen the boiler safety certificate. That's what made me think that they would need to see it.

Thanks for the replys I guess I should have asked but I'm a bit shy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

270Posts Today

1,861Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin