Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TBP
    • By TBP 15th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TBP
    PPI for Deceased Father
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    PPI for Deceased Father 15th Jun 17 at 9:57 AM
    Hello,
    Would anybody be able to help me. My father passed in 2011, although im not sure if he had any ppi owed to him, i would like to check. I do not have any of his bank info, would anybody recommend a company who could assist?.
    best regards
    T
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Jun 17, 10:10 AM
    • 13,156 Posts
    • 13,467 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:10 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:10 AM
    You would need to write to any lenders you believe he had PPI with and explain why you believe he was mis sold.

A claims company wouldn't be able to tell you any of that. You may even struggle yourself.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Jun 17, 10:31 AM
    • 89,448 Posts
    • 54,908 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:31 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:31 AM
    would anybody recommend a company who could assist?.
    How would a CMC be able to assist?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    • 19,255 Posts
    • 9,365 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    My father passed in 2011, although im not sure if he had any ppi owed to him
    Originally posted by TBP
    First understand PPI is not "owed", but if it was mis-sold then it is refunded with interest.

However, without any documentary evidence of your own, you are going to really struggle at every stage here.

Leaving aside the fact that you don't even know if your father had PPI, how are you going to find out who he had loans and credit cards etc with? You'd have to write to lenders not just enquiring whether he had PPI, but also whether he even had finance with them.

I'm afraid that, six years after his death, any records pertaining to him will have already been discarded by the Banks. If you do write to them, expect the response to be that no records can be found..

No company can help you with this
    • TBP
    • By TBP 15th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TBP
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    hi, thanks for reply. i have no idea about how to go about claiming back any mis sold ppi etc, i was hoping to speak to a CMC who could either point me in the right direction, or take the case on.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 19,255 Posts
    • 9,365 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    i was hoping to speak to a CMC who could either point me in the right direction, or take the case on.
    Originally posted by TBP
    Ask any of them (which I don't recommend) and you'll get a similar response as you got here. You have absolutely no information you can work with other than your father's name, address and date of birth, which is nowhere near enough even if your father were still living. You don't even know if there was any PPI.

I'd actually beware any company willing to accept the "case", particularly if they charge you an upfront fee.
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 15-06-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 89,448 Posts
    • 54,908 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    i was hoping to speak to a CMC who could either point me in the right direction, or take the case on.
    Just think logically about this.

CMC asks you who the loans/debts were with. You can't tell them as you dont know. They can't find out as it's not in the public domain.

CMC asks you why you think they were mis-sold. You don't know as you don't even know if had PPI. So, what could the complaint reasons be?

The executor of the estate is entitled to raise a complaint on behalf of the deceased. They are restricted in what they can complain about. They cannot make allegations of what may or may not have been said. They can only stick to factual complaint reasons (Eligibility for example).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 7,334 Posts
    • 4,743 Thanks
    -taff
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    Only someone who i authorised to complain can complain.

Companies, een if you did find out who they were, will want proof that you can complain on his behalf.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,753Posts Today

7,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin