Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Liffy99
    • By Liffy99 15th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Liffy99
    Partial transfer from S&S to Cash ISA
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    Partial transfer from S&S to Cash ISA 15th Jun 17 at 9:36 AM
    I have a S&S ISA which has done quite well over the past year or so. In order to cement those gains can I transfer part of the ISA to a cash ISA and leave the rest to, hopefully, grow ?
    Or do I have to transfer the whole S&S ISA to a Cash ISA and then can I transfer the initial capital back to a S&S ISA ?
    For example;
    Initial S&S ISA investment = £20,000
    Growth = £1,000
    a) Transfer the £1,000 to a cash ISA
    b) Transfer £21,000 to a cash ISA then transfer £20,000 of it back to a S&S ISA

A lot of messing about potentially but would this be s sensible approach to at least lock in some gains ?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 15th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    isasmurf
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    There is nothing within the rules that would prevent it, but it depends on whether who you have your S&S with allows partial transfers.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 15th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 5,074 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    I'd check with a variety of providers if necessary to ensure you can go with option a - option b is best avoided as that would involve selling your entire holding and being out of the market for the duration of two transfers plus repurchasing again, which could turn out pretty expensive and negate a chunk of your gains!
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 15th Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 3,715 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    Once in a cash ISA it deffinately won't grow. S&Ss ISAs are for the long term, so a review of the funds you are in might be a better option than shifting the modest gsin you have had for the short term into cash.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,539Posts Today

5,607Users online

Martin's Twitter