Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheGoldfish
    • By TheGoldfish 15th Jun 17, 9:34 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 9Thanks
    TheGoldfish
    Harveys suite won't fit
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:34 AM
    Harveys suite won't fit 15th Jun 17 at 9:34 AM
    I ordered a 2 seater, armchair and footstool from Harveys which they have tried to deliver today but it won't fit through the doors. I know the t&c's state it is my responsibility to ensure it can fit but that is what I did.

I originally went to the showroom with the door width measurements but the sales person wasn't interested in these and simply told me the sofa and chair came apart. There was no mention that this wasn't an easy process and that an upholsterer be required.

The delivery men have taken the items away and I now await a phone call to arrange for an upholsterer. This is something I am not prepared to pay for and don't think I should have to as I was misled in the showroom. Am I within my rights to cancel the order and expect a full refund?
Page 1
    • ess0two
    • By ess0two 15th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    ess0two
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    Take it apart yourself, carefully detach stapled cloth from beneath then using a spanner dismantle, had to do this myself.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
    • TheGoldfish
    • By TheGoldfish 15th Jun 17, 10:40 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    TheGoldfish
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:40 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:40 AM
    Just to update. Harveys are arranging for it to go to my local store who will remove the backs and arrange for delivery and reassemble.

Thanks for the suggestion of doing the dismantling myself. Even though Harveys are going to do it, it's good to know it's easy just in case I move house at some point. I guess there will be YouTube videos on how to do it.
    • missile
    • By missile 15th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 8,732 Posts
    • 4,202 Thanks
    missile
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    What a crock . Never heard of a sofa not going through a door. Find it hard to believe manufacturer did not think of that and design for that issue.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 15th Jun 17, 11:06 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    fewgroats
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:06 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:06 AM
    We had two armchairs which wouldn't go through the doors. You just have to dismantle them. (They weren't from Harveys.)
    Lent Challenge: 132/200 Failed
    Pancake Day+70 challenge (ends 8 June): 244/300 Better
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 15th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 5,212 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    What a crock . Never heard of a sofa not going through a door. Find it hard to believe manufacturer did not think of that and design for that issue.
    Originally posted by missile
    It's actually very common, just have a little search of this forum or Google (other search engines are available) and you will find a lot of similar complaints.

We took the window out to get our sofa in, it was easier than dismantling the sofa.
    • cono1717
    • By cono1717 15th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    cono1717
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    Originally posted by missile
    Worked in DFS as an Administrator. It's actually extremely common. So common in fact that you can request a site visit and one of the delivery team will come out and check to make sure that it will go in.
    • TheGoldfish
    • By TheGoldfish 15th Jun 17, 5:46 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    TheGoldfish
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:46 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:46 PM
    The sofa and chair are recliners and are quite big but the sales person was adamant it wouldn't be a problem. Had a phone call from Harveys at lunchtime today saying they can take the backs off but it still leaves parts at each end sticking up. They are going to try delivery next Wednesday but I'm not too hopeful.

Starting to think they are only suitable for property where there is a wide enough side access to wide patio doors at the rear. I live on an estate where it is mostly terraced housing and I would guess at least 80% of the properties are like mine. If furniture isn't designed to be easily dismantled to fit through a standard door then their potential market is limited.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 15th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    You can remove the back from most recliner chairs - often with just a simple clip mechanism.

The whole point of this is to make it easier to fit through doorways.

I am more than a little surprised that the delivery guys didn't know this.

Three videos here. More on youtube.
    • TheGoldfish
    • By TheGoldfish 15th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    TheGoldfish
    Yep, I've seen the videos and I agree with you. It looks very easy but it is not something I should have to do to receive the items. This is down to Harveys

The delivery guys simple tried to get the heavily wrapped and protected furniture through the door. They said it didn't come apart and because of this they didn't unwrap it. They were very quick to blame the sales person for giving wrong information, and in return the store have blamed the delivery men for not knowing that it does come apart.

Here is the address to the model I've ordered which shows the potential problem after the backs have been removed

harveysfurniture.co.uk/search/?q=finchley%20incliner/

Sorry I'm not yet allowed to include full links
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 15,105 Posts
    • 8,530 Thanks
    motorguy
    It's actually very common, just have a little search of this forum or Google (other search engines are available) and you will find a lot of similar complaints.

We took the window out to get our sofa in, it was easier than dismantling the sofa.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    +1

On a previous house we'd to take the front window out too.

Its actually probably the easiest method. Certainly very quick
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jun 17, 8:05 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    +1

On a previous house we'd to take the front window out too.

Its actually probably the easiest method. Certainly very quick
    Originally posted by motorguy
    a lot easier now with UPVC windows as its just a matter of removing the beading and removing the glass pane
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 15th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 5,212 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    a lot easier now with UPVC windows as its just a matter of removing the beading and removing the glass pane
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    Exactly it took less than five minutes to take out, and that was with balancing a huge and quite heavy panel, sofa through in less than five minutes and about ten minutes to put it back, again with the balancing and making sure it was positioned correctly. The glass was taken out before the sofa arrived and we put it back after the delivery guys left so they weren't kept waiting.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 15th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Just to update. Harveys are arranging for it to go to my local store who will remove the backs and arrange for delivery and reassemble.

Thanks for the suggestion of doing the dismantling myself. Even though Harveys are going to do it, it's good to know it's easy just in case I move house at some point. I guess there will be YouTube videos on how to do it.
    Originally posted by TheGoldfish
    I shouldn't worry, give it 12 months and it will be coming a part on its own.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Exactly it took less than five minutes to take out, and that was with balancing a huge and quite heavy panel, sofa through in less than five minutes and about ten minutes to put it back, again with the balancing and making sure it was positioned correctly. The glass was taken out before the sofa arrived and we put it back after the delivery guys left so they weren't kept waiting.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    When we ordered our current suite from a local company, we timed it with us getting replacement windows again from a local company. both these company communicated with each other, so that the suite arrived when the window fitters had the window removed. The sofa guys even took our old suite away and took it to a local charity that provide furniture for the disadvantaged
    Last edited by angryparcel; 15-06-2017 at 9:34 PM.
    • TheGoldfish
    • By TheGoldfish 1st Jul 17, 12:23 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    TheGoldfish
    Just thought I'd complete the story incase others have similar problems.

Harveys tried to deliver again with the backs removed. The chair still wouldn't fit through the door after the back rest had been removed because of the arm rests curving up the back. Harveys took furniture away again. Spook to CS who told me a dismantler could take the arm off but it would cost me £120. I said no, they said they would go halves, I said no, they agreed to pay all. I agreed to pay the dismantler but I want written confirmation from Harveys that they would reimburse me.

This Wednesday furniture turned up again. The dismantler took the arm off the chair, they got it through the door and reassembled. No problem with the sofa as that split in half quite easily. I'm now happy.

I didn't like the idea of removing the window as some suggested. Upvc window is over 30 years old and felt the plastic may have become brittle with age and break easily. Having watched the dismantler, I think taking the arm off is some I could do in the future if I every move house.

So I guess the sales person was right to say they come apart but do feel that attempted deliveries 1&2 could have been avoided. There doesn't seem to be any process in the stores to find out what is required to get the furniture into a house. A simple fact sheet for each sofa/chair telling customers the minimum door size and turning space each side of the door require would have been helpful.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 1st Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    no1catman
    When my suite was delivered only the sofa arrived! But it came in several pieces. First the 3rd seat slotted into the two-seat part, then the backs were put on.
    Fortunately, didn't have to worry about door sizes - came down the drive, and in through the French doors.
    The old suite had already been collected by the Heart Foundation lorry - they at least were on time.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • Jamiesmum
    • By Jamiesmum 1st Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    Jamiesmum
    Happened to me with a 3 seater couldn't get it turned around because of an awkwardly placed gas cupboard which I hadn't taken into account.

I'd waited 3 months for delivery sitting on garden chairs I was gutted so stumped up the money. It was £140. Once it was up though I never really gave it another thought, it took about an hour and after so long waiting for my first sofa I was just happy.
    • MissSB
    • By MissSB 4th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MissSB
    I'm going through something similar with Harveys although I told them my restrictions in store, and like yourself was told it would be fine only for it not to fit through window or door.
    I've been speaking to Which Legal who have advised me that the sofa is not fit for purpose on the basis that I made it known prior to purchase, and also I can argue that it was misleading sales transaction that I would not of otherwise made if the sales assistant didnt tell me it would be ok.

I would suggest getting legal advice and getting letter templates to address the issue in a professional manner using legal terms as my complaint is 3 months ongoing, my next step is legal action.

Hope you get it sorted
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,048Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin