Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bethhaywood
    • By bethhaywood 15th Jun 17, 9:34 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bethhaywood
    scs debt owed?
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:34 AM
    scs debt owed? 15th Jun 17 at 9:34 AM
    Hi
    Im looking for some advice..... I got a parking ticket from a private car park back in December, On a Friday night for being 8 minutes over. They have sent around 8/9 letters but I have ignored them all.
    However I now got a letter from a company called SCS Law saying I owe £150.00 to highview parking. in the letter it states "unless out client receives full payment from you within 14 days, they may issue legal proceedings against you and can obtain a county court judge"

Is this letter real? Do I pay?
    The last thing I want is someone knocking on my door and taking personal items that they believe to be a value of £150.00

Any advice would be welcome
    Thank you
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 15th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 7,240 Posts
    • 7,273 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    Post four of the Newbies Sticky covers this in its entirety - Please read.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Jun 17, 9:54 AM
    • 32,089 Posts
    • 16,179 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:54 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:54 AM
    If you have inadvertently used your real name as your forum name you need to get MSE to change it asap to something anonymous.

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 15th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 6,679 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    You owe nothing unless a judge so decrees. Private parking companies trying to scare people with such threads, your pianoforte is safe. Read the stickies and be prepared to go to court.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 15th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 5,514 Posts
    • 7,095 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    Hi
    Im looking for some advice..... I got a parking ticket from a private car park back in December, On a Friday night for being 8 minutes over. They have sent around 8/9 letters but I have ignored them all.
    However I now got a letter from a company called SCS Law saying I owe £150.00 to highview parking. in the letter it states "unless out client receives full payment from you within 14 days, they may issue legal proceedings against you and can obtain a county court judge"

Is this letter real? Do I pay?
    The last thing I want is someone knocking on my door and taking personal items that they believe to be a value of £150.00

Any advice would be welcome
    Thank you
    Originally posted by bethhaywood
    What you mean is that they MAY take you to court.
    A misleading letter trying to extort money from you ?

They are trying to scare you but in reality this is what happens
    1: They issue a county court claim (they may or may not)
    At this stage you will need to defend yourself and you will get
    all the advice here to help you win

2: In the very unlikely event that you lose, the judge will order
    that you pay the amount within 28 days. Only if you fail to pay
    do you get a CCJ entered

NOBODY BUT NOBODY WILL CALL ON YOU TO SEIZE GOODS

Again, this could only happen if you lost, did not pay as the court
    instructs, the PPC COULD THEN, BUT ONLY THEN, ask a bailiff
    to call
    You are a long way off that so stop worrying.

So, your job now is to tell this forum the full facts of this to get the best help. Also how much the charge was on the ticket as it will not be £150

By ignoring, you lost your chance to appeal so now you go into ignore mode and wait. If you do get a county court claim, please return here
    Last edited by beamerguy; 15-06-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • bethhaywood
    • By bethhaywood 15th Jun 17, 10:17 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bethhaywood
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:17 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:17 AM
    Thankyou so much for help, this is helping me already as I was very worried.
    so When it says Baliffs can attend to my address and removes good, ignore that?

In your opinion do you thunk they will take it any further then this if I dont pay?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Jun 17, 10:27 AM
    • 13,593 Posts
    • 21,311 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:27 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:27 AM
    Which parking company please - hint, it won't be SCS?

To whom does the SCS letter tell you to pay, if you were daft enough (normally on the second page)?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • bethhaywood
    • By bethhaywood 15th Jun 17, 10:30 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bethhaywood
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:30 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:30 AM
    the car parking company is highview parking
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    • 32,089 Posts
    • 16,179 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    It's highview .

So far not litigious.

They do have 6 years to start legal action so can't be certain what may happen in the future
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    • 13,593 Posts
    • 21,311 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    the car parking company is highview parking
    What about my second question?

It does help us to help you quickly if you come back with everything answered to save us having to query again. We can be dealing with 30-40 different cases each day, so we need to knock things off quickly to deal with more complex issues for others.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • bethhaywood
    • By bethhaywood 15th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bethhaywood
    sorry, it says to contact debt recovery plus to clear your balance
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 15th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 3,309 Thanks
    fisherjim
    Debt Recovery Plus are useless greedy Muppets that can do absolutely nothing but send bullying letters full of threats and lies ignore them.

Highview are equally stupid and staffed with personnel that were at the end of the queue for brains.

As you have naively ignored their letters before (you could have appealed this on grace period) all you can do now is continue to ignore.

Do not phone anyone either that is a definite no no.

The claimed charge cannot be £150 the maximum they can invoice is £100, that charge is including silly debt collectors scam fees I suggest.

No one will knock on your door don't worry, and debt collectors are not bailiffs.
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    • 13,593 Posts
    • 21,311 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    There you go - as I suspected - this is a DRP letter using a pimped out SCS letterhead, which can be safely ignored. We've seen it so many times, and is just one of the underhand tactics of debt collector world aimed at ratcheting up the pressure on you to pay, clearly evidenced by your naive (sorry!) panic about 'bailiffs' and 'boys turning up on your doorstep'!

As Q says above, HV are not currently litigious, but no guarantees for the future. Here's their current record - almost half a million tickets issued in 2.5 years, and not one court case. Tells you something, I think!

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Highview_Parking.html

There was a huge swell in the number of court cases being brought against motorists as a result of the Nov 2015 ParkingEye v Beavis Supreme Court case, with lots of PPCs (never previously litigious) riding on the crest of that wave and chancing loads of court cases. I think the power of the wave has subsided and it's unlikely that HV will try to jump on it now - but, usual caveat, nothing can be guaranteed in this game.

• Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    • 48,190 Posts
    • 61,663 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Whatever happened to the simple 'Highview challenge' to beat the 2 hour cancellation record. Where were you? Ignoring one of the easiest ones to get cancelled in two hours flat wasn't a good plan, this was so simple.

Ignore DRP. Relax, it's Highview, LOL! Send the appeal to Highview now, the one from the NEWBIES thread.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,076Posts Today

9,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin