Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoshyBoy
    • By JoshyBoy 15th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 99Posts
    • 3Thanks
    JoshyBoy
    What is the best free website builder?
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    What is the best free website builder? 15th Jun 17 at 9:19 AM
    Looking to try out designing my own website. I'd like to get a good feel of my idea before committing to paying for anything, long term.

What's the best free website builder?

Any good designers that offer a free trial period?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
Page 1
    • JoshyBoy
    • By JoshyBoy 15th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JoshyBoy
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    Anyone????
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 5,277 Posts
    • 5,725 Thanks
    Farway
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    What are you trying to acheive?

Selling stuff, just a hobby club web site, new type one, art, photos, what?
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 15th Jun 17, 3:26 PM
    • 5,337 Posts
    • 5,972 Thanks
    lovinituk
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:26 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:26 PM
    As above, it depends what you will be using it for.

If its just a bit of fun or small social group then it probably doesn't really matter. Look at something like Wix for example.

If it is for anything more serious, particularly some kind of ecommerce store, then stay away from the free sites. If you have a technical background you could look at Opencart. If you need something that is easier to start with from the off, then look at something like BigCommerce or Shopify.
    The following is my forum signature and not necessarily a response to your post:
    "To be truly successful you must live a few years of your life like others won’t so you may live the rest of your life like others can’t"
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 15th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 31,361 Posts
    • 37,049 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    wordpress is free , if you like the look then buy a domain and point it to it
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    wordpress is free , if you like the look then buy a domain and point it to it
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Wordpress is a CMS and NOT a website builder
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    Looking to try out designing my own website. I'd like to get a good feel of my idea before committing to paying for anything, long term.

What's the best free website builder?

Any good designers that offer a free trial period?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
    Originally posted by JoshyBoy
    Site.pro is one of the best on the market these days, you get a selection of free templates, most hosts will offer some sort of site builder to clients
    • dobymicks
    • By dobymicks 15th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    dobymicks
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    For a wordpress site you can get 12 months web hosting and a .co.uk domain name for £6.47 here:
    http://easyhosting.co.uk/free-hosting.php
    You can install wordpress with one click as they include Installatron in the control panel

They also do weebly website builder.
    • JoshyBoy
    • By JoshyBoy 15th Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JoshyBoy
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    Thanks all - plan on building an unofficial website with news articles, fixtures etc etc.
    • jblessing
    • By jblessing 15th Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    jblessing
    Another vote for wordpress. Plenty of free templates for every possible type of website. Easy to switch between them without having to re-enter all your info.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 15th Jun 17, 8:00 PM
    • 4,662 Posts
    • 3,101 Thanks
    victor2
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    There are many websites "built" with WordPress. It's a powerful system, relatively easy to learn and could well meet the OP's needs.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 15th Jun 17, 10:30 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    OP will not know the difference, either way Wordpress is the best platform for their requirements, that fact that it is a CMS is even better.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

344Posts Today

4,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin