Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 15th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    • 460Posts
    • 34Thanks
    ktcoil
    New car started to get sick smell on carpets
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    New car started to get sick smell on carpets 15th Jun 17 at 8:17 AM
    Hi Guys

Got a newer car and the day I got it the rain was crazy so must have got the car carpets wet, bought new mats but the car has a bit of a sick type smell now and guessing its because the carpets got wet, didn't have the smell on test drive or day I drove home.

Anyway of getting rid of the smell?
Page 1
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Jun 17, 8:41 AM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 3,502 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:41 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:41 AM
    Hi Guys

Got a newer car and the day I got it the rain was crazy so must have got the car carpets wet, bought new mats but the car has a bit of a sick type smell now and guessing its because the carpets got wet, didn't have the smell on test drive or day I drove home.

Anyway of getting rid of the smell?
    Originally posted by ktcoil
    A bit of rain coming in with open doors etc shouldn't cause that. If it smells that bad, it's got a leak.

Having said that, a sick smell sounds more like someone's spilt a pint of milk in there at some point. If that's the case, sell the car, you'll never get rid of it without replacing the carpets.

I have a general rule that if anyone ever throws up in my car, or spills milk, it gets sold immediately.

Only ever happened once.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    • 14,372 Posts
    • 12,712 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    When you say "newer", you mean that it's a used car...?
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 15th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    ktcoil
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    yea sorry 12 reg
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Jun 17, 9:44 AM
    • 14,372 Posts
    • 12,712 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:44 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:44 AM
    So it's had five years for somebody to spill milk or stomach contents on the carpet... The vendor's febreze has now worn off...

Private sale, or dealer?
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 15th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    ktcoil
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    from a dealer
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    • 14,372 Posts
    • 12,712 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    from a dealer
    And what did he say when you drove back, sat him in it, and shut the doors/windows?

How long have you had it?
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 15th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    ktcoil
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    2 weeks now
    • By 1886 15th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    I valet for a living and the first thing I thought before I clicked on this thread was spilt milk.

I remember valeting an Audi A4 and under the spare wheel was spilt milk and it smelt horrible. The wheel well is metal though so it hadn't sunk in to the carpet like what may have happened to your car.

I think selling the car is a very extreme option. It might be easiest to find a local mobile valeter instead of trying to sort it out yourself. The carpets could be wet vacced or an odour fogger could be used.

Most air fresheners are designed to just cover a smell or make something smell nice and they last for 24 hrs if you're lucky. Some air fresheners actually remove the smell instead of mask it. You could try that. Or, give the carpets a good clean with some really strong all purpose cleaner.

I would probably speak to a local mobile valeter though
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 15th Jun 17, 8:27 PM
    • 10,760 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    DUTR
    I valet for a living and the first thing I thought before I clicked on this thread was spilt milk.

I remember valeting an Audi A4 and under the spare wheel was spilt milk and it smelt horrible. The wheel well is metal though so it hadn't sunk in to the carpet like what may have happened to your car.

I think selling the car is a very extreme option. It might be easiest to find a local mobile valeter instead of trying to sort it out yourself. The carpets could be wet vacced or an odour fogger could be used.

Most air fresheners are designed to just cover a smell or make something smell nice and they last for 24 hrs if you're lucky. Some air fresheners actually remove the smell instead of mask it. You could try that. Or, give the carpets a good clean with some really strong all purpose cleaner.

I would probably speak to a local mobile valeter though
    Originally posted by 1886
    I'd have gone for a bio cleaner and a steam clean,but yes carpets out and a good clean.
    By a valeter/detailer who has the equipment.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 14,372 Posts
    • 12,712 Thanks
    AdrianC
    2 weeks now
    So...
    And what did he say when you drove back, sat him in it, and shut the doors/windows?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    You have, haven't you...?
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jun 17, 11:05 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Try laying down some cat litter, and brushing it into the carpet, then vacuum it up later.

It does sound like something smelly has dried out, so you need something to soak it up when it's wet.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 16th Jun 17, 6:27 AM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    Richard53
    I have a general rule that if anyone ever throws up in my car, or spills milk, it gets sold immediately.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    We were using our caravan as overspill accommodation one weekend, and one of the younger members threw up in it. It took three full cleans to take the edge off the stink, and a full year until the smell was not noticeable. We couldn't use it for the whole of that time. Never again.
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 16th Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    ktcoil
    We have a valiter that comes to our work so would do that, was thinking of cleaning with carpet shampoo, and we also have a carpet shampooer but scared with wetting my capets that might make the whole car smell if doesn't dry.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 19th Jun 17, 1:44 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    Richard53
    We have a valiter that comes to our work so would do that, was thinking of cleaning with carpet shampoo, and we also have a carpet shampooer but scared with wetting my capets that might make the whole car smell if doesn't dry.
    It's only a smell at the end of the day. Whatever you would do to a room carpet in your house would work the same in the car. The key thing is that car carpets are hard to dry, as you know. If they stay damp, mould sets in and can be a nightmare to get rid of. If you can find a way to get them bone dry afterwards, then it's just a cleaning issue. Many people take the seats out to get access to all the nooks and crannies (not too hard to do on most cars). Taking the carpets out, even better. Air dry if possible, then fan heater with a window open a crack overnight or, even better, leave a mains dehumidifier in there. A weekend should see it done.
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 19th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    ktcoil
    Well I cleaned the car and doesn't seem to smell but I have noticed it when I put the fan on in the car, could it be a vent change needed?
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 19th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 3,054 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Well I cleaned the car and doesn't seem to smell but I have noticed it when I put the fan on in the car, could it be a vent change needed?

Might be worth changing the cabin filter / pollen filter, if your car has one. You're supposed to change them every so often anyway ( it should say in the user manual or service record book ).
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 14,372 Posts
    • 12,712 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Aha!

Change the pollen filter, if there is one, then use an aircon antibacterial.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/B010UYB676
    or similar.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 19th Jun 17, 5:31 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    Richard53
    Aha!
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    x2

Pollen filters are rarely part of the maintenance schedule, but once they get wet and dirty they smell like an old dog. Usually quite easy to DIY change. Cured my Mondeo of a stale smell and misty windows. The old filter was wet and disgusting
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 20th Jun 17, 8:42 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    ktcoil
    thanks I will pop to Halfords for this, I think it is a bit more wet dog smell than sick smell, its not always there, I just thought when I bought the car it was raining crazy, so thought I got the carpets wet and hadn't had car matts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,352Posts Today

7,277Users online

Martin's Twitter