Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • patman99
    • By patman99 14th Jun 17, 10:21 PM
    • 7,873Posts
    • 9,279Thanks
    patman99
    Nearly got caught.
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:21 PM
    Nearly got caught. 14th Jun 17 at 10:21 PM
    Just sold my wife's cuttlebug on ebay. Buyer was from Belgium and coms went well until I noticed that the adress they wanted it shipped to was different to the registered address on ebay and Paypal.

The seller also had a '0' fb rating.

Phew!!!, lucky near miss there.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £244/ £1000 (that's 24.4%)

3-6 month EF £213/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    • 10,464 Posts
    • 7,039 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    How did you notice? How did they give you a different address? It may help if you explain further for others who may fall foul.

P.S your signature is SO large, I can hardly see your post.
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 15th Jun 17, 1:31 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:31 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:31 AM
    Ebay rules stipulate that you must ship to the address given during checkout. Perfectly OK for a buyer to have a different address and if you use a tracked method of posting/delivery, you are fully protected.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 15th Jun 17, 8:09 AM
    • 58,744 Posts
    • 41,594 Thanks
    soolin
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:09 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:09 AM
    Ebay rules stipulate that you must ship to the address given during checkout. Perfectly OK for a buyer to have a different address and if you use a tracked method of posting/delivery, you are fully protected.
    Originally posted by Middlestitch
    Please have a read of the sticky thread about postage. For full seller protection you must only send to the PayPal address . THe OP suggests the buyer asked for a different address when they paid - which would have left them with no seller protection at all.

Even if buyer puts the address in as a message with payment it does not alter the requirements to only ship to the address given on the PayPal transaction. It is not unusual for a buyer to pay and then in the body of the messages on PayPal add a message to say they want it shipped to their work address, or their mother (whatever) that new address does not over ride the one given as 'OK to send to' by PayPal, to change the address the buyer needs to change it on PayPal before they pay, it cannot be done afterwards.

I have several addresses registered on PayPal and if I want something sent to a different address I just change the shipping details on the final page before I pay.
    Last edited by soolin; 15-06-2017 at 8:12 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 15th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    Please have a read of the sticky thread about postage. For full seller protection you must only send to the PayPal address . THe OP suggests the buyer asked for a different address when they paid - which would have left them with no seller protection at all.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Thanks for your helpful clarification. I think we are saying the same thing, but you phrased it rather better! I too meant that it had to be the 'deliver to' address entered during the checkout process with Paypal.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 15th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 5,889 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    Cuttlebug.

I have learned a new word today.
    Who'll remember the ones who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge of smoke against the sky
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 15th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 14,965 Posts
    • 20,309 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    Cuttlebug.

I have learned a new word today.
    Originally posted by Head The Ball
    I thought it was a typo and they meant Scuttlebug, although I did think it odd his wife would have a ride on kids toy!

Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • patman99
    • By patman99 16th Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    • 7,873 Posts
    • 9,279 Thanks
    patman99
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    One of those would be of no use to my wife. She would fall off it.

Anyway, the buyer had zero feedback and their details did not match that of the account holder.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £244/ £1000 (that's 24.4%)

3-6 month EF £213/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 10,464 Posts
    • 7,039 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    Anyway, the buyer had zero feedback and their details did not match that of the account holder.
    Originally posted by patman99
    Buyers start with 0, we all do.

How do you know the details "did not match that of the account holder". You didn't answer my post above at 2. It may help you decide if you were going to be scammed or if you misread the situation, at the moment it's hard to work out as we don't have the info.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,379Posts Today

7,859Users online

Martin's Twitter