Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BOBBIs MUMMY
    • By BOBBIs MUMMY 14th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 807Posts
    • 1,319Thanks
    BOBBIs MUMMY
    Iphone on 2 Year Contract With EE
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    Iphone on 2 Year Contract With EE 14th Jun 17 at 10:07 PM
    Asking on behalf of a colleague. My colleague took out a 2 year contract instore with EE for an Iphone. After 9 months he went into store to complain that the phone had intermittent problems he was told that as it was intermittent there was nothing they could do as they couldn't find a fault.
    Approx 15 months into the contract and the phone has stopped working altogether.
    He rang EE who told him that the Iphone was only guaranteed for a year after purchase and he would need to pay for a replacement at just under £200
    Just wondering how he stands having a two year contract but the phone is only guaranteed for a year. He now has 9 months contract left without a working phone.
    Any advice appreciated, many thanks
Page 1
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 15th Jun 17, 7:50 AM
    • 7,341 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:50 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:50 AM
    The phone is a "freebie"; the contract is for the airtime, unless it says otherwise in their t&c.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 15th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    The warranty on Apple devices is ambiguous, Apple state 12 months in the UK, yet if you take the same device (bought in the UK) to an Apple Store in Europe the warranty magically becomes a 24 month one. A friend was on holiday near Murcia (Spain) and took her 18 month old "dead" iPad to them, it was swapped with no payment and no haggling.

It's worth making an appointment with an Apple Store (even a UK one) and see what they say. You shouldn't be penalised to the tune of £200 just because you chose an Apple phone. You can book an appointment online.
    • d123
    • By d123 15th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 6,384 Posts
    • 4,125 Thanks
    d123
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:33 AM

It's worth making an appointment with an Apple Store (even a UK one) and see what they say. You shouldn't be penalised to the tune of £200 just because you chose an Apple phone. You can book an appointment online.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Apple (in the U.K.) will only consider offering 2 year warranty service on phones they were the retailer of, unfortunately after the first 12 months they will refer the person to the retailer concerned for issues that fall under consumer protection law. Crap situation but legally allowed.
    ====
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 16th Jun 17, 11:20 AM
    • 2,015 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    20aday
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:20 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:20 AM
    I'd exercise Consumer Rights OP.

If you can get a report to say the handset has an intermittent fault and are able to visit an Apple Retail Store you *may* be able to get a replacement.

A couple of years ago I had an iMac which was just under three years old. I'd looked after it but the LCD went wrong.

Cost me £29 to get a report from an Apple Authorised Reseller and was originally quoted nearly £500 to get it repaired.... however I argued a computer that cost nearly £1,000 (at the time) should last longer than three years and Apple, to their credit, repaired it for nothing.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Andrew_EE
    • 20th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    Hi BOBBIs MUMMY,

An iPhone handset as standard will come with a 12 month warranty for faults provided by Apple, unless you have taken out either Apple Care or our Extended Warranty for iPhone (https://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/Help-PDFs/Business-PDFs/EE%20Extended%20Warranty%20for%20iPhone%20new.pdf).

If you head over to http://ee.co.uk/help/get-in-touch you can get in touch with our technical team using our live chat service or via phone if you prefer.

Thanks,

Andrew
    Official Company Representative
    I'm an official company representative of EE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,781Posts Today

9,112Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin