Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Jun 17, 8:22 PM
    • 1,222Posts
    • 1,501Thanks
    shortcrust
    JSA when quit job - worth it?
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:22 PM
    JSA when quit job - worth it? 14th Jun 17 at 8:22 PM
    My sister has quit her job. She's just had enough and plans to find something else. No drama as she has savings. She says she's not going to sign on for JSA because she won't get any benefit for six months as she's voluntarily unemployed.

My question is whether there are other good reasons to sign on at this stage. I'm wondering about NI contributions, other benefits and the like. She doesn't need help with job search, CV writing etc.
Page 1
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 14th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    As you said, she will be penalised for leaving her job. She can sign on, but if they find out the reason she wont be getting any other benefits anyway.

Not needing help with job search etc doesnt matter, she will still have to go through the motions if she signs on. Its part of the experience
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 14th Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    • 16,995 Posts
    • 37,339 Thanks
    Masomnia
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    NICs is the main one. Depending on her adviser she probably wouldn't get all that much hep anyway.

When I signed on the woman asked me to fill out a form relating to my leaving my last job. I think I'm right in saying that they have to process it before you actually get sanctioned, but I'm not sure. On that basis she may well be in a job before they decide she shouldn't be paid anyway!
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,566Posts Today

8,759Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Today's Twitter poll: Is it acceptable to take your shirt off and go topless in the street when it's scorching in the UK?

• Follow Martin