Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hammy1988
    • By hammy1988 14th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 43Thanks
    hammy1988
    Tidying before completion
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    Tidying before completion 14th Jun 17 at 8:15 PM
    Just spent a few hours tidying/weeding/clearing/sorting my back and front gardens ready for completion of our sale at the end of this month...I'm wondering as I sit here running a hot bath to soothe my sore back whether I really needed to do this?

Am I being courteous by sorting the garden...? And should the house and garden always be maintained fully right up to transfer, is this a necessity or respectful...or both LOL?

To be honest I wanted to rather save my embarrassment at the garden getting so overgrown 😂
Page 2
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 15th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    shortcrust
    It all depends on what the buyer thinks they've bought. I viewed a pigsty so I wasn't surprised when I opened the door after completion and found just that. I didn't believe for a second that my seller was going to break the habit of a lifetime to do a bit of cleaning. That was ok because I'd hoped the grime and smell of cat wee would put other buyers off!

If you viewed and offered on a beautifully well maintained house and garden then you're probably right to expect to move into something not a million miles from that. If a house had a perfect finish then you probably wouldn't welcome unexpected holes in the wall.
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 15th Jun 17, 4:26 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    sultanabran
    On a side note, what is the general consensus about making good holes in walls where things have been removed, i.e. holes from a TV bracket?
    Originally posted by SquirrelRM
    I asked my buyer what he wanted me to do as I thought leaving some of them would make it easier for him to put pictures up on the wall where I had mine. He said he would probably be painting anyway so just to leave them.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 15th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 3,068 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    I always keep up to the cleaning and the gardening before moving out - and I always have to gut the place I move in to. Law of sod I guess.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 15th Jun 17, 9:25 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    We kept the garden neat and cleaned the house till it was immaculate, in fact, once I'd finished, I didn't want to move! If only our vendor had been as meticulous. I exhausted myself cleaning mine then had to start over when we moved in, it was filthy.
    Originally posted by Clairabella
    This!
    I scrubbed our last place to within an inch of it's life, when we arrived here there were spiders webs, and dead spiders and dust balls everywhere the furniture had been. It was disgusting! The carpet was ripped up half an hour after walking through the door, it was so bad!
    I could never leave it like that for someone else to walk into.
    • hammy1988
    • By hammy1988 15th Jun 17, 10:04 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    hammy1988
    Yeah, it seems to be the general consensus. My main thoughts were that I wanted it to look the same as to when it was viewed when selling I made sure everything was clean and tidy, so I suppose I want to leave it the same. He did knock me down £4k and is going to purchase it as a buy to let...so he's not even going to be living in it, but I still feel it's respectful to keep it as it was sold when seen.

If I'd been messed around in the process I may have felt a little different if I'm honest
    • MisterP123
    • By MisterP123 15th Jun 17, 10:14 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    MisterP123
    I had to move out of rented property because it was sold (did so without an argument) cleaned the property top to bottom.

The owner of the property paid cleaners to come in after we'd left and before completion...... They spent 2 days sitting in the van playing on their phones.

The new owners were delighted with the house, couldn't get over how empty it was, that no rubbish had been left and that it smelt so fresh!

I know all of this because I'm still neighbours
    • mysterymurdoch
    • By mysterymurdoch 16th Jun 17, 5:54 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    mysterymurdoch
    I'd say it depends on how much free time you have. I certainly wouldn't stress about it if I was busy. The last house we bought was situated in a jungle, although it was a jungle when we viewed. 60 years of some family living here then 20 years of the couple being too old and frail to do anything much with the garden and too tight to get someone to keep on top of it.
    • Greenqueen
    • By Greenqueen 16th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    Greenqueen
    WHen we viewed our current home it was grubby by my standards, but as we planned to do some upgrading I figured it was not a big deal.
    Due to unusual circumstances it was almost a year between having our offer accepted and moving day. I honestly think the previous owners decided to stop ALL cleaning and upkeep in the meantime.
    There was (what looked like) a pile of vomit in the middle of the landing which had been left to go crusty!
    • Lavendyr
    • By Lavendyr 16th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    Lavendyr
    When we moved in the back garden was crazy overgrown. I wish we'd had the above sellers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,059Posts Today

4,675Users online

Martin's Twitter