Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hammy1988
    • By hammy1988 14th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 29Thanks
    hammy1988
    Tidying before completion
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    Tidying before completion 14th Jun 17 at 8:15 PM
    Just spent a few hours tidying/weeding/clearing/sorting my back and front gardens ready for completion of our sale at the end of this month...I'm wondering as I sit here running a hot bath to soothe my sore back whether I really needed to do this?

Am I being courteous by sorting the garden...? And should the house and garden always be maintained fully right up to transfer, is this a necessity or respectful...or both LOL?

To be honest I wanted to rather save my embarrassment at the garden getting so overgrown 😂
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    • 59,237 Posts
    • 345,939 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    I think most people expect it to look not too shabby. One going over 3-4 weeks before completion's probably the best most manage unless they're desperately keen gardeners.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 14th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    There's no 'rule' as such, but its definitely a nice thing to do and most people leave their houses as clean as they can before completion. Think how you'll feel if you go to your new place and the sellers have clearly thought "sod it we're selling anyway" and haven't lifted a finger for weeks?

Of course, the amount of effort can vary depending on how much you like the buyers!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jun 17, 7:28 AM
    • 22,644 Posts
    • 87,540 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:28 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:28 AM
    Most thoughtful people try to leave the property as the purchasers found it originally.

There's usually more of a problem with the inside of the house, which often reveals all kinds of nasties when the furniture goes, and then there's no time left to sort it properly.

You have that to come...
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jun 17, 7:29 AM
    • 22,644 Posts
    • 87,540 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:29 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:29 AM

Of course, the amount of effort can vary depending on how much you like the buyers!
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    or how much they beat you down on price, which may be much the same thing!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    If you were moving in, how would you want to find it?
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 15th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 996 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    It was nice of you to do it, but it's certainly not a necessity. For example, you might find with the front it gets concreted over in time for parking.
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 15th Jun 17, 8:08 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    sultanabran
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:08 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:08 AM
    My buyer keeps telling me not to cut the grass as its getting ripped out anyway. But I still do it, otherwise it would be about 8 inches tall by the time he comes to move in (I can tell by the height of the grass around the For Sale post).
    • Clairabella
    • By Clairabella 15th Jun 17, 9:53 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Clairabella
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:53 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:53 AM
    We kept the garden neat and cleaned the house till it was immaculate, in fact, once I'd finished, I didn't want to move! If only our vendor had been as meticulous. I exhausted myself cleaning mine then had to start over when we moved in, it was filthy.
    • happytails
    • By happytails 15th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    • 1,474 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    happytails
    Ill be cleaning my house and running the mower over the lawn when i go. Id expect the owners of our new house to do the same, though i'd still go over cleaning the house again before unpacking too much.
    Sarah, Mummy to Amber, Lucas and Evelyn.

Member No43 - % Challenge
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 15th Jun 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    I'd suggest it depends on the difference between the state of the garden when they viewed it and the state of it now, accounting (within reason) for the fact that things, including weeds, grow, especially at this time of year.

So, if the garden was a major feature, then one would expect it to be handed over as such, whereas one couldn't really expect the same of something overgrown or neglected even when the place was on the market. However, it should be clear of rubbish etc, although as a buyer, you have little realistic recourse should the seller leave the place in a complete state and full of their rubbish...
    • elonii
    • By elonii 15th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    elonii
    My house and garden would have passed a white glove test when I moved out. It was left in a beautiful state when I moved into it, so I guess I wanted to do the same for the purchasers. Even though I didn't like them that much, lol.

Naturally when I got home to the UK and started renting I moved into a house that hadn't seen cleaning fluid, or lawnmower in months. Karma for what I do not know
    • ST1991
    • By ST1991 15th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    ST1991
    I would have loved our previous owner to do the same...
    I would not go out of your way or make a special effort to keep it 'show-house' like, but i'm sure the new owners will be pretty happy when they remember how it was moving in if they ever move on somewhere else that hasn't been kept so well.

When we moved in it had been empty for a while (after their tenants moved out and completion took its time).
    There were fleas, dust and paint drips everywhere from a last-ditch attempt to re-paint the dis-colored ceilings/cover the mould in the bathroom...
    • aneary
    • By aneary 15th Jun 17, 2:57 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    aneary
    No matter how clean you keep it when you move if you have removal men you may find they leave boot prints and hand prints all over the place so I would factor cleaning in before I moved anywhere it's much easier when there isn't stuff in the house.
    • HB58
    • By HB58 15th Jun 17, 3:03 PM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    HB58
    I'm afraid that we did not leave our house in the kind of condition I would have liked. We had just 8 days between exchange and completion (and had been ready to pull out of the process the day before) and I couldn't find a company to deep clean on the day of completion.

Fortunately, our buyers wanted to replaster in many places, so a bit of extra dust didn't really make much difference.

We bought our current property from 2 brothers and thought we would find it in a bit of a state - only to discover that their mother had spent several hours cleaning it after work the previous evening
    • Niv
    • By Niv 15th Jun 17, 3:05 PM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    Niv
    Not only did I keep the garden up to scratch when I sold my last house I also cleaned the inside top to bottom when the place was empty.

The house I bought was a mess inside and out when we viewed and unsurprisingly was a mess when we moved in, however I think that contributed greatly to the price and I doubt we would be able to afford it if it was well maintained. In fact by the time I finish the bulk of the works in 6months time I doubt I would have been able to afford it had it been in that state when it went up for sale.
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • SquirrelRM
    • By SquirrelRM 15th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    SquirrelRM
    I left our previous home spotlessly clean and moved into a pigsty with mouldy biscuits in the cupboard! I will leave this house clean and tidy as I know how it feels to be on the other side!
    On a side note, what is the general consensus about making good holes in walls where things have been removed, i.e. holes from a TV bracket?
    • Niv
    • By Niv 15th Jun 17, 3:15 PM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    Niv
    I just left the tv bracket on the wall
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    On a side note, what is the general consensus about making good holes in walls where things have been removed, i.e. holes from a TV bracket?
    Originally posted by SquirrelRM
    Fill and paint, don't leave holes.
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 15th Jun 17, 3:26 PM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 18,888 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    We kept the garden neat and cleaned the house till it was immaculate, in fact, once I'd finished, I didn't want to move! If only our vendor had been as meticulous. I exhausted myself cleaning mine then had to start over when we moved in, it was filthy.
    Originally posted by Clairabella
    Same here.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin