Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katejo
    • By katejo 14th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 2,918Posts
    • 1,116Thanks
    katejo
    lodger with a part time business
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    lodger with a part time business 14th Jun 17 at 8:01 PM
    I currently have a lodger and I am aware that he is getting a part time business off the ground during evenings and weekends. He works full time in a paid job during the day.
    I checked the rules for rent a room which say that I can use the scheme if my "lodger works in your home in the evening or at weekends".
    Has anyone had any problem with the lodger using your home address as the business contact address? It has only occurred to me today when some business mail arrived for him.
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 39,605 Posts
    • 45,099 Thanks
    G_M
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    I currently have a lodger ....he is getting a part time business off the ground during evenings and weekends.

I checked the rules for rent a room which say that I can use the scheme if my "lodger works in your home in the evening or at weekends".
    Originally posted by katejo
    So what do you imagine the problem is?

But if you are unhappy with what he is doing, give him a week's notice.

(you did specify a week's notice in the contract yes?)
    • katejo
    • By katejo 14th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    katejo
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    So what do you imagine the problem is?

But if you are unhappy with what he is doing, give him a week's notice.

(you did specify a week's notice in the contract yes?)
    Originally posted by G_M
    No I don't want to get rid of him. He has been a good lodger and has already been with me over 2 years. I just wondered whether it was a problem re. using my address for his business.
    I always give a month's notice to my lodgers if required which has only ever happened once.

thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,366Posts Today

7,660Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's existential Twitter poll: Choose betwn huge success & renown within ur lifetime then forgotten, or only after death but for millenia

• RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Follow Martin