Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • notanewuser
    • By notanewuser 14th Jun 17, 6:55 PM
    • 8,001Posts
    • 13,912Thanks
    notanewuser
    0 WOW
    What to buy in the US
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:55 PM
    0 WOW
    What to buy in the US 14th Jun 17 at 6:55 PM
    First trip to the US in 10 years this summer. Ignoring the poor state of the £ (it was $2 to the £1 then). Is there anything o should be looking to buy whilst there?
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
Page 2
    • notanewuser
    • By notanewuser 15th Jun 17, 10:03 AM
    • 8,001 Posts
    • 13,912 Thanks
    notanewuser
    Remember that you are only allowed to bring back £390 worth of stuff from the USA. Anything over that will incur duty charges.

Unless you are just planning on waltzing through "Nothing to Declare" and hoping not to get caught, that is
    Originally posted by *~Zephyr~*
    At present I'm not planning on bringing anything back.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 15th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    • 18,205 Posts
    • 41,653 Thanks
    peachyprice

When the exchange rate was better they worked out cheaper than Number 7. .
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I actually saw No.7 in Target, it was sooo expensive!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 15th Jun 17, 10:16 AM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Check Clinique prices before buying. It used to be much cheaper but I've just looked at DDM Gel and even without tax it is now more expensive
    • martindow
    • By martindow 15th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    • 7,077 Posts
    • 3,907 Thanks
    martindow
    Or you could just enjoy visiting the country and seeing new things. I go on holiday to avoid shopping as much as possible!
    • John259
    • By John259 15th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    • 977 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    John259
    Or you could just enjoy visiting the country and seeing new things. I go on holiday to avoid shopping as much as possible!
    Originally posted by martindow
    Agreed.

So I'd recommend buying one of these!
    https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • notanewuser
    • By notanewuser 15th Jun 17, 11:15 AM
    • 8,001 Posts
    • 13,912 Thanks
    notanewuser
    Originally posted by martindow
    I hate shopping. It was only if there was something particularly worth getting that I'd make the effort.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 15th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 8,772 Posts
    • 12,742 Thanks
    meer53
    Naproxen painkillers!
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    I love Naproxen but it doesn't love me It's the only thing that relieves my osteoarthritis but i can't take it anymore as it affects my blood pressure. Thats something to be aware of if you're taking it without prescription. I still have an emergency supply in my cupboard though ! Just in case

I love Walgreens in the US, there's not much you can't get in there ! I don't really like the malls in the US, i never seem to find any bargains there ? Although Fossil and Kipling seemed cheaper last time we went. I love the Mall at Millennia in Orlando but just for window shopping and visiting the Cheesecake Factory for lunch !

I've got a couple of one off Disney Pandora charms which i love, you can't get them here and my daughter has some lovely Minnie Mouse gold earrings which cost me an arm and a leg but which she will always treasure. I've also bought a diamond ring and earrings in the US which were a good price and have increased in value but that was in 2005.
    Last edited by meer53; 15-06-2017 at 3:09 PM.
    • dickydonkin
    • By dickydonkin 15th Jun 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,828 Posts
    • 2,846 Thanks
    dickydonkin
    I hate shopping. It was only if there was something particularly worth getting that I'd make the effort.
    Originally posted by notanewuser
    I don't mind being dragged around the shops to be honest, and I have found that Nordstrom Rack is pretty good....even with a lousy exchange rate. I got a decent priced Tumi bag on my last visit, not an exceptional price, but a saving that was worth making a purchase for an item I was going to buy anyway.

I tend to avoid 'Own Brand' outlets as a lot of the stuff is manufactured specifically for those stores and are of inferior quality compared to their main outlets....I learnt that lesson the hard way some years ago!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

328Posts Today

4,007Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin