Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ABARKIE
    • By ABARKIE 14th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 162Posts
    • 41Thanks
    ABARKIE
    Solicitor refusing to give a copy of a will
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    Solicitor refusing to give a copy of a will 14th Jun 17 at 5:57 PM
    Hi

My partner's father passed away on Monday evening.

He had paid for a funeral plan.

He had also prepared a will, of which we have an unsigned draft copy - naming myself, my partner and her brother as trustees.

The solicitor is refusing to let us have a signed copy until they have sight of the death certificate and meet all three of us.

Can they do this?

What is the protocol / correct procedure?

On the draft will, I could not see an Executor being named, however, both my partner's parents indicated they would wish for me to perform this role.

Any advice welcome

Thanks
Page 2
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 15th Jun 17, 6:47 AM
    • 28,773 Posts
    • 17,204 Thanks
    getmore4less
    if there are no named executors then there are rules for the order people can apply for a grant of administration and it won't be random inlaw first.

It may be that you don't understand what has been written and there are named executors.

perhaps post the wording and make sure you include the bit where it talks about trustees.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 15th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 27,603 Posts
    • 70,101 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Why have they not given their client a copy of the signed will - that is my concern
    Originally posted by ABARKIE
    I've never had a copy of a signed will. A new will usually goes through several versions until it says exactly what I want and has been thoroughly proof-read - that gets printed off, signed and witnessed and stored by the solicitor.

I get a copy of the unsigned will emailed to me for my records.
    • maximumgardener
    • By maximumgardener 15th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    maximumgardener
    of course the solicitors will require to see the death certificate before discussing matters further and sharing the signed & dated will
    • Ziggazee
    • By Ziggazee 19th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    Ziggazee
    What's the rush? It's not as though you have to wait months for the death certificate. Just calm down, stop pestering everyone and jumping to conclusions, let things take their course, and all will become clear in a few days.
    • Ziggazee
    • By Ziggazee 19th Jun 17, 2:01 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    Ziggazee
    Why have they not given their client a copy of the signed will - that is my concern
    Originally posted by ABARKIE

Maybe they did. Just because you can't find it doesn't mean they didn't.

You seem to be marching well ahead of yourself here. Just wait and let things happen at a normal pace.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

459Posts Today

4,539Users online

Martin's Twitter