Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Georgia Riley
    • By Georgia Riley 14th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Georgia Riley
    Smart parking ltd fine - what happens if I ignore?
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    Smart parking ltd fine - what happens if I ignore? 14th Jun 17 at 5:57 PM
    I received a PCN from Smart Parking recently. I entered the car park at 16:57 and exited at 17:10. The car park has 3 hours free parking but you still have to get a ticket. I printed a ticket from the ticket machine and placed this on my front dashboard. One week later I received a PCN through the post. What had happened was I bought a new car a week prior and the ticket I got from the machine I had entered my old registration number. I wrote to smart parking to explain what had happened and sent a copy of a letter I received to say I am no longer the registered keeper of my old car, hoping they would understand this is a genuine mistake and I had actually got a ticket and displayed this, bearing in mind I was only parked for 13 minutes and you have 3 hours FREE parking, I had not breached any of the rules or terms and conditions they advertised.
    I received a letter back from smart parking which stated they were upholding the PCN. I did not reply and today received a letter from Debt Recovery Plus ltd saying they want to collect payment for £160, if not paid they will recommend their client to take court action against me.
    What Happens if I ignore this?
    Thank you
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    • 14,590 Posts
    • 22,950 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    Did Smart, in rejecting your initial correspondence, issue you with a 10-digit POPLA code? If they did, it sounds like you've missed the deadline if DRP are now involved. If you didn't get a POPLA code, complain to the BPA - you can get this killed at POPLA, otherwise you are left in limbo for 6 years not knowing how Smart will act - they have just started dipping their toes in the water in terms of issuing court papers.

If you want to know how to deal just with DRP - read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #4.

Have you complained to the landowner and asked them to intervene?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 2,437 Thanks
    waamo
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    The answer to your question is they could potentially take you to the small claims court.

Do you know who the landowner is? For example many supermarkets will cancel the ticket for you.
    This space for hire.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Jun 17, 6:16 PM
    • 32,808 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:16 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:16 PM
    A golden rule is never reveal who was driving. edit your post to remove the details of who was!

And if you have inadvertently used your real name as your forum name then get MSE to change it to something anonymous

The PPcs monitor this forum and can use your posts and thread against you
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 14th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 5,972 Posts
    • 7,689 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    I received a PCN from Smart Parking recently. I entered the car park at 16:57 and exited at 17:10. The car park has 3 hours free parking but you still have to get a ticket. I printed a ticket from the ticket machine and placed this on my front dashboard. One week later I received a PCN through the post. What had happened was I bought a new car a week prior and the ticket I got from the machine I had entered my old registration number. I wrote to smart parking to explain what had happened and sent a copy of a letter I received to say I am no longer the registered keeper of my old car, hoping they would understand this is a genuine mistake and I had actually got a ticket and displayed this, bearing in mind I was only parked for 13 minutes and you have 3 hours FREE parking, I had not breached any of the rules or terms and conditions they advertised.
    I received a letter back from smart parking which stated they were upholding the PCN. I did not reply and today received a letter from Debt Recovery Plus ltd saying they want to collect payment for £160, if not paid they will recommend their client to take court action against me.
    Thank you
    Originally posted by Georgia Riley
    What you need to understand about Smart, is that they will always reject appeals. They belong to the scammers charter

Did you get a POPLA code with their rejection letter ????

DRP are blood sucking leeches who stick themselves onto the scam

They are not in a position to recommend to anyone to take court action. DRP come out with more rubbish than a rubbish tip and
    you just ignore
    . Never contact DRP unless you want to have some fun with these down and outs (probably) ex double glazing salesman who failed

NEVER TALK OR WRITE TO DRP, unless you know how to handle
    scammers

The £160 breaks down to £60 to DRP.
    If they cannot suck you into the scam , sooner or later they give up and have to admit to Smart they are failures.
    When they do that, it's up to Smart to go further and that is where
    this forum will help you.

That's it, IGNORE THE DRP MOBSTERS and if Smart decide
    to continue come back here.

DRP operate a no win no fee in trying to scam you for money.

Just let DRP work for £££ZERO, let DRP waste their own money and time .... THAT IS ALL THEY DO
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Jun 17, 11:35 PM
    • 50,114 Posts
    • 63,496 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:35 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:35 PM
    I received a PCN from Smart Parking recently.

I entered the car park at 16:57 and exited at 17:10. The car park has 3 hours free parking but you still have to get a ticket. I printed a ticket from the ticket machine and placed this on my front dashboard. One week later I received a PCN through the post.

What had happened was I bought a new car a week prior and the ticket I got from the machine I had entered my old registration number.

I wrote to smart parking to explain what had happened and sent a copy of a letter I received to say I am no longer the registered keeper of my old car, hoping they would understand this is a genuine mistake and I had actually got a ticket and displayed this, bearing in mind I was only parked for 13 minutes and you have 3 hours FREE parking, I had not breached any of the rules or terms and conditions they advertised.

I received a letter back from smart parking which stated they were upholding the PCN. I did not reply...

... and today received a letter from Debt Recovery Plus ltd saying they want to collect payment for £160, if not paid they will recommend their client to take court action against me.
    Thank you
    Originally posted by Georgia Riley
    Oh why didn't you simply come here earlier and appeal and win at POPLA? You had a rejection letter with a POPLA code and Smart are so very easy to beat.

Luckily, they are also very easy to beat when they sue you. Search the forum for 'Smart parking defence' (show POSTS).
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

1,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin