Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 14th Jun 17, 5:25 PM
    • 177Posts
    • 68Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    Currys rapped for 'Save £200' laptop ad which did not represent a genuine saving
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:25 PM
    0 WOW
    Currys rapped for 'Save £200' laptop ad which did not represent a genuine saving 14th Jun 17 at 5:25 PM
    Currys PC World has been rebuked for a misleading advert which claimed customers could "save £200" despite being on offer at the lower price for many more days than its previous higher price....
    Read the full story:
    Currys rapped for 'Save £200' laptop ad which did not represent a genuine saving'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 14th Jun 17, 5:34 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    greatgimpo
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:34 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:34 PM
    Currys PC World... the shop without principles.
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 14th Jun 17, 5:39 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:39 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:39 PM
    Even compliance with current advertising standards isn't enough in my opinion to know what a genuine bargain is - often with supermarkets I find 2 different 'normal' prices for the same item at different times, or sometimes even when something is on offer it still isn't as good value as an own brand product that isn't on sale. Also price 'reductions' can be tiny sometimes and more pricy than unreduced own brands
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 15th Jun 17, 8:37 AM
    • 31,944 Posts
    • 37,677 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:37 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:37 AM
    Argos sales .....often seen "laptop only £220 " and in smaller letters underneath "has previously been sold at £189"

fudging round the legality of it all

or the bespoke model laptop for each shop to make it hard to compare
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 15th Jun 17, 10:30 AM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:30 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:30 AM
    Only £220, not the sort of money you'd bother to pick up if it fell out your wallet
    • Percy1983
    • By Percy1983 15th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 7,810 Thanks
    Percy1983
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    I will say I did get a bargain of a laptop in a 'sale' at pc world.

I ignored the saving figures as I knew the before sale price was high and just compared the sale price to similar laptops over recent times.

But I do agree these things shouldn't happen as not everybody knows what they are looking at.
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

360Posts Today

2,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin