Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • plymouthimp
    • By plymouthimp 14th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    plymouthimp
    New £1 Coin - Car Parks
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    New £1 Coin - Car Parks 14th Jun 17 at 4:04 PM
    I've noticed that there are still loads of Car Parks that do not accept the new £1 coin. So therefore we are left with 2 choices:
    1. Pay for parking with lots of change; or
    2. Pay by Card over the phone.
    What I've noticed in particular are the number of parking meters not accepting new 10p, new 20p and new 50p in addition to the £1 coin.

Secondly to this, I've also noticed that the car parking charges when paid for over the phone are more expensive - for example a 12-hour ticket at one car park in Plymouth is £2.50 but paid over the phone is £2.95.

My question is this; if the car parks are limiting the use of cash in their machines by not altering them to accept new coinage, is there legislation or rights in the fact that they are almost leading everyone to pay the more expensive card payment method?
Page 1
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 14th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    I've noticed that there are still loads of Car Parks that do not accept the new £1 coin. So therefore we are left with 2 choices:
    2. Pay by Card over the phone.
    What I've noticed in particular are the number of parking meters not accepting new 10p, new 20p and new 50p in addition to the £1 coin.

Secondly to this, I've also noticed that the car parking charges when paid for over the phone are more expensive - for example a 12-hour ticket at one car park in Plymouth is £2.50 but paid over the phone is £2.95.

My question is this; if the car parks are limiting the use of cash in their machines by not altering them to accept new coinage, is there legislation or rights in the fact that they are almost leading everyone to pay the more expensive card payment method?
    Originally posted by plymouthimp
    Nothing forcing them to change the machines, also they may have them on order as it is not just a case of flipping a switch to accept new coins
    • photome
    • By photome 14th Jun 17, 6:43 PM
    • 12,522 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    photome
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:43 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:43 PM
    Depending on the type of Coin mech they may or may not be upgradeable.

If they are upgradeable it would come at a cost and but would only take a few minutes to do, maybe they havent got round to it or maybe they are just not going to do it
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 14th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 14th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    all comes down to cost and no law says they have to accept certain coinage.

My question is this; if the car parks are limiting the use of cash in their machines by not altering them to accept new coinage,
    so they don't accept new pound coins, i assume they still accept 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p coins, so you can still use cash
    • photome
    • By photome 14th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 12,522 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    photome
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:25 PM

so they don't accept new pound coins, i assume they still accept 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p coins, so you can still use cash
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    OP does say they don't accept new 10p, 20p and 50p although I don't remember any new 20p or50p in the last few years so not sure what he/she means

Most mechs won't accept 1p and 2p and some dont accept 5p.

as you say there won't be any legislation saying what coins have to b accepted
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 14th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 10,942 Posts
    • 8,210 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:14 PM

Originally posted by angryparcel
    Theres no law saying they have to accept certain coinage. But in England & Wales, there is a rule of law saying you can't be sued for non-payment of debt if you offer to pay in legal tender. £1 is legal tender for any amount.

Although I'll admit my response is tongue in cheek.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 14th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    I've also noticed that the car parking charges when paid for over the phone are more expensive - for example a 12-hour ticket at one car park in Plymouth is £2.50 but paid over the phone is £2.95.
    that is simple when you pay cash at a machine then that is all you pay, but paying over the phone you have to use a debit card or credit card which a charge is applied by the card processor. with DC it is usually a fixed fee of 40 to 60p and with CC it is from 2.9% to 3.4%., so this is why it will cost more over the phone
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 14th Jun 17, 11:45 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:45 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:45 PM
    Legal tender means you can't be sued for non-payment, if you offered it afterwards ; but it doesn't mean people have to accept any particular payment method, for something you haven't yet got. For instance, if it was a pay on exit, and you only had coins it wouldn't take ; you could probably leave without paying ( then deposit the money into a court, and e-mail the company to say what you'd done ). A bit unreasonable if it wouldn't let you leave, best to phone them.

The other scam is the no-change rule. They could say it is £1 an hour or £5 all day, but it only accepts £50 notes with no change.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 15th Jun 17, 5:40 AM
    • 10,942 Posts
    • 8,210 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:40 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:40 AM
    Legal tender means you can't be sued for non-payment, if you offered it afterwards ; but it doesn't mean people have to accept any particular payment method, for something you haven't yet got. For instance, if it was a pay on exit, and you only had coins it wouldn't take ; you could probably leave without paying ( then deposit the money into a court, and e-mail the company to say what you'd done ). A bit unreasonable if it wouldn't let you leave, best to phone them.

The other scam is the no-change rule. They could say it is £1 an hour or £5 all day, but it only accepts £50 notes with no change.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    Which is part (but only part) of the reason it was tongue in cheek. As you imply, it depends on when the debt arises. For example at a petrol station, its when you pump the fuel into your car.

The other part of the reason it was tongue in cheek is because car parking operators often charge a sum much greater than the ticket price for any infraction of their parking conditions - such as parking without a valid ticket.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 15th Jun 17, 7:01 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Theres no law saying they have to accept certain coinage. But in England & Wales, there is a rule of law saying you can't be sued for non-payment of debt if you offer to pay in legal tender. £1 is legal tender for any amount.

Although I'll admit my response is tongue in cheek.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    But at the point of trying to pay you are paying before a service. It only becomes a debt after you leave without paying.

So totally ignore the legal tender/debt myth
    • marlot
    • By marlot 15th Jun 17, 7:02 AM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 2,149 Thanks
    marlot
    2. Pay by Card over the phone....
    Or the option I did, which was to visit the bank and buy a couple of bags of old £1 coins to keep in the car.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 15th Jun 17, 7:06 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Already done to death with a slight variation in http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5636547&highlight=new+coin
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 15th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 2,547 Thanks
    sheramber
    So far I have only had one new pound coin in my change. Still plenty of old ones about.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 15th Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 8,323 Thanks
    LilElvis
    I would bite the hand off anyone who said I could park for 8 hours for £2.95 let alone £2.50

If I want to go to the local shopping centre its £3 / hour, unless the parking gods are with me and I manage to find one of the rare 50p/hour bays.

The parking apps do have the bonus in that you can "top up" your ticket if you need to stay longer without the hassle of going back to your car. Plus no need to have stacks of change rattling around.
    • photome
    • By photome 15th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 12,522 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    photome
    So far I have only had one new pound coin in my change. Still plenty of old ones about.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    You must be out in the wilds...they are over 50% around here
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jun 17, 11:35 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Our Tesco shopping trolleys only take the old ones, so the service counter has to sell them to people.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Jun 17, 12:26 AM
    • 18,849 Posts
    • 9,000 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Or the option I did, which was to visit the bank and buy a couple of bags of old £1 coins to keep in the car.
    Originally posted by marlot
    The Bank gave you old coins?

That's unusual, it's normally banks who ensure they are gradually withdrawn from circulation by NOT giving them to customers,,
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 16th Jun 17, 4:08 AM
    • 10,942 Posts
    • 8,210 Thanks
    unholyangel
    But at the point of trying to pay you are paying before a service. It only becomes a debt after you leave without paying.

So totally ignore the legal tender/debt myth
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    You know what tongue in cheek means right? Meant jokingly, not sincere, not to be taken serious?

Its not a myth, its just not applicable in OP's circumstances.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 16th Jun 17, 7:15 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    unforeseen
    You know what tongue in cheek means right? Meant jokingly, not sincere, not to be taken serious?

Its not a myth, its just not applicable in OP's circumstances.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Legal tender is myth in that it has no meaning or relevance these days as even the Royal Mint state.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 16th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 10,942 Posts
    • 8,210 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Legal tender is myth in that it has no meaning or relevance these days as even the Royal Mint state.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Cite your source please, because this page from royal mint seems to contradict what you've said.

As does this page from Bank of England

It is still very much relevant in todays day & age (at least in E&W) - as noted by the other poster who commented on it, it applies after the debt is created but not before. In parking, its the difference between getting a ticket on entry/paying on exit and prepaying before you get the ticket.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,461Posts Today

8,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin