Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gwin
    • By gwin 14th Jun 17, 3:28 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 35Thanks
    gwin
    Very un-user friendly site
    • 14th Jun 17, 3:28 PM
    Very un-user friendly site 14th Jun 17 at 3:28 PM
    As an infrequent visitor to the site I have to say it's not the most user-friendly forum I have ever been on.
    A ton of symbols to "help" reply. If you don't have the key to them you're knackered. I've lost so many messages because I tried to see what different symbols did.
    I think it is way too over complicated.
    And why do you have to go searching for the "new thread" button? Or how to find your posts? Two of the most important parts of a forum, surely.
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 7,522 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 14th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 3:40 PM

A ton of symbols to "help" reply. If you don't have the key to them you're knackered. I've lost so many messages because I tried to see what different symbols did.

I think it is way too over complicated.
    And why do you have to go searching for the "new thread" button? Or how to find your posts? Two of the most important parts of a forum, surely.
    Originally posted by gwin
    Its standard vBulletin - identical to a great many other forums out there. Old certainly and in need of revamp but not that difficult to use. The buttons aren't really needed either - you can use simple BBCODE (text) instead for most if not all of them.

You don't need to search for the New Thread button - it is in exaclty the same place on every forum, whilst your most recent posts are a mere two clicks away on any thread and a complete list is a maximum of four clicks from wherever you see your username.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 15th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 8,464 Posts
    • 20,703 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    Hi gwin

Are you using the old green forum or have you moved over to the "new" one? If you haven't moved over you might like to take a look and see if that helps (as a long-term forum member you can move back if you don't want to stay on it).

Andrea

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 16th Jun 17, 10:37 AM
    • 23,834 Posts
    • 50,486 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:37 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:37 AM
    I can't imagine many people, who have the choice, use the newer format
    • gwin
    • By gwin 21st Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    gwin
    • 21st Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    Its standard vBulletin - identical to a great many other forums out there. Old certainly and in need of revamp but not that difficult to use. The buttons aren't really needed either - you can use simple BBCODE (text) instead for most if not all of them.

You don't need to search for the New Thread button - it is in exaclty the same place on every forum, whilst your most recent posts are a mere two clicks away on any thread and a complete list is a maximum of four clicks from wherever you see your username.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    It would be helpful when pontificating to explain the procedure for the two and four click route. That's the problem, all these forums assume everyone knows how to navigate so none of them explain.
    And if you insist on bold type to show how smart you are, at least spell correctly.
    • gwin
    • By gwin 21st Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    gwin
    • 21st Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    Hi gwin

Are you using the old green forum or have you moved over to the "new" one? If you haven't moved over you might like to take a look and see if that helps (as a long-term forum member you can move back if you don't want to stay on it).

Andrea
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Using the green forum, Andrea, wasn't aware there was an alternative. Thanks, I'll have a look for it.
    • Dia Pita
    • By Dia Pita 21st Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    Dia Pita
    • 21st Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    Blue forum? why is there 2 forums are they different? How do you get to the Blue forum?

Debt Free Aug 15 Mortgage Free Aug 16
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.

• Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 21st Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    Mobeer
    • 21st Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    Blue forum? why is there 2 forums are they different? How do you get to the Blue forum?
    Originally posted by Dia Pita
    Open User CP (control panel) and then on the bottom left there are options to make the forum worse (aka use the new version)
    • molerat
    • By molerat 21st Jun 17, 6:06 PM
    • 17,013 Posts
    • 11,190 Thanks
    molerat
    • 21st Jun 17, 6:06 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 6:06 PM
    Using the green forum, Andrea, wasn't aware there was an alternative. Thanks, I'll have a look for it.
    If you are confused by the green forum then the (horrendous) blue version will tip you over the edge
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 21st Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    • 7,522 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    pogofish
    It would be helpful when pontificating to explain the procedure for the two and four click route. That's the problem, all these forums assume everyone knows how to navigate so none of them explain.
    And if you insist on bold type to show how smart you are, at least spell correctly.
    To have got as far as being able to post, you had confirmed that you had read and understood the basics of forum use and navigation from the provided materials - ( written/illustrated guides, videos) and you can refresh your memory from every page on the site.

So your questions should realy never arise.

And yes, the Blue Forum is awful - be glad you have been here long enough to still be able to use the green instead.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 21st Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 17,013 Posts
    • 11,190 Thanks
    molerat
    I thought, as I have not tried it for a while, I would give the blue a go. Lasted less than a minute before the bland everything merging into a wall of text got to me. Maybe try again next year to see if it is any better.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • gwin
    • By gwin 21st Jun 17, 9:52 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    gwin
    To have got as far as being able to post, you had confirmed that you had read and understood the basics of forum use and navigation from the provided materials - ( written/illustrated guides, videos) and you can refresh your memory from every page on the site.

So your questions should realy never arise.

And yes, the Blue Forum is awful - be glad you have been here long enough to still be able to use the green instead.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    So you're the guy that reads every word of a company's terms and conditions.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 23rd Jun 17, 5:06 PM
    • 7,522 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    pogofish
    Of course - a great many of the problems people post about here could be avoided if they did the same!

And what does your actions make you..?
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 4th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 8,464 Posts
    • 20,703 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi all, we welcome feedback, constructive or not but please keep it friendly. Thank you!

The blue forum isn't for everyone. Some people who've used the old green in the past understandably feel it's quite a change (it does look very different) and have chosen to stay on it. There are some really useful tools in the blue settings, though, that help you find threads you'd been visiting much quicker than on the green. It's well worth giving it a go for a while.

We'd love to hear from longer term members who've given the blue forum a go and stuck with it though. With any feedback people we tend to find those who like something aren't as vocal as those who don't

Andrea

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,289Posts Today

8,496Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin