Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • antdon
    • By antdon 14th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 174Posts
    • 70Thanks
    antdon
    Anyone been on a Red Light Awareness course
    • 14th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    Anyone been on a Red Light Awareness course 14th Jun 17 at 3:23 PM
    Dont know whether to do the awareness course for £80
    Or just accepth the £100 and 3 points.

I am unwell at the moment.. On a slow phased return to work (currently 4 hrs/day)
    So, the prospect of going to work and the having to attend the course is a little overwhelming...

The couse would be in Birkenhead... Has anyone done it? And how bad was it?
    Birkenhead quotes 3 1/2 hrs...

Any help or comments would be welcome
Page 1
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 14th Jun 17, 3:32 PM
    • 6,073 Posts
    • 5,515 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 14th Jun 17, 3:32 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 3:32 PM
    I'd make an effort to go to the course, because:

1. It's cheaper than the points (depending on where it is)
    2. It means you don't get 3 points (so are 3 points further away from a ban)
    3. You might actually learn something.

If you're not up to sitting in a classroom for 3.5 hours, then you can ask them about other options, but they may query if you're fit to drive.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 14th Jun 17, 3:37 PM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 14th Jun 17, 3:37 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 3:37 PM
    I don't know about the specific course but I understood that you usually have something like 6 months from the date of the offence to book and attend the course. So hopefully you can return to full health and then attend.
    • antdon
    • By antdon 14th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    antdon
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    thanks for the quick replies
    my problem is I don't know how long my condition is likely to last, it could conceivably become worse.
    if I don't attend the course, later on, because I am seriously ill would they offer you the three points and £100 fine again or would they want to find you £1,000
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 14th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    Sitting in the course for 3.5 hours whilst drinking coffee, eating biscuits and listening has surely got to be less taxing than a 4 hour shift in work? What is it that you do?
    • antdon
    • By antdon 14th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    antdon
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    I am an electrician
    the course would have to take place after my day's work

So, a 11.5 hr day...
    I am currently really struggling with a 4 hr day
    Last edited by antdon; 14-06-2017 at 4:21 PM.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 14th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    In that case, take the points, pay the £100 fine and pay the increase in insurance premiums for the next 5 years then.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 14th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 25,201 Posts
    • 309,399 Thanks
    davemorton
    Take a days holiday?
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 14th Jun 17, 5:52 PM
    • 7,235 Posts
    • 10,694 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:52 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:52 PM
    they often run on Saturdays
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 14th Jun 17, 6:45 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I don't know about the specific course but I understood that you usually have something like 6 months from the date of the offence to book and attend the course. So hopefully you can return to full health and then attend.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    He doesn't have anywhere near that time, it must be completed within a tight time frame to allow a court date to be set if he fails to attend.
    • deaston
    • By deaston 15th Jun 17, 7:05 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    deaston
    I didn't know such an awareness course existed. I'm assuming they're largely full of cyclists?
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 15th Jun 17, 8:16 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    wongataa
    I didn't know such an awareness course existed. I'm assuming they're largely full of cyclists?
    Originally posted by deaston
    Probably not considering the amount of motor vehicles I see jumping red lights.
    • deaston
    • By deaston 15th Jun 17, 9:32 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    deaston
    Probably not considering the amount of motor vehicles I see jumping red lights.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    How odd. I very rarely see cars jumping red lights but see cyclists do it several times a day.

At worst, I see cars go through on amber or just as it changes to red, but bikes sail through when the light has been red for some time. And as a pedestrian I've nearly been hit by red-light jumping cyclists on a few occasions.
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 15th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    • 3,790 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    In that case, take the points, pay the £100 fine and pay the increase in insurance premiums for the next 5 years then.
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    It doesn't always increase the premium with just 3 points. Didn't for me.

How odd. I very rarely see cars jumping red lights but see cyclists do it several times a day.

At worst, I see cars go through on amber or just as it changes to red, but bikes sail through when the light has been red for some time. And as a pedestrian I've nearly been hit by red-light jumping cyclists on a few occasions.
    It depends on location.
    When i'm in the city, most cars stop for red because of cameras near the lights. Cyclists often don't

Out of the city in smaller towns and villages, it's always the opposite. Cyclists stopping for red lights but motorists just flooring it through, even if it's at red!

Out of the city i probably see about 20 cars go through red lights for each cyclist i see doing it, if not more.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 15th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 7,441 Thanks
    NBLondon
    I didn't know there was such a thing as a Red Light Awareness Course - maybe it's only an option in areas where it's more common (or there are enough cameras to catch people).
    It depends on location.
    When i'm in the city, most cars stop for red because of cameras near the lights. Cyclists often don't

Out of the city in smaller towns and villages, it's always the opposite. Cyclists stopping for red lights but motorists just flooring it through, even if it's at red!

Out of the city i probably see about 20 cars go through red lights for each cyclist i see doing it, if not more.
    Originally posted by Retrogamer

In Central London - I definitely agree with deaston - the most recent occasion being less than four hours ago...
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 15th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 6,073 Posts
    • 5,515 Thanks
    Herzlos
    It doesn't always increase the premium with just 3 points. Didn't for me.
    Originally posted by Retrogamer
    No, but it might with 6, and by taking the 3 points you're a step closer.
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 15th Jun 17, 12:40 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Teapot55
    It could be that you can ask the people who sent you the letter about the course for advice.

Tiredness when you are recovering is a real problem and you need to take things slowly.

Tell them of your particular problem, ie that your working hours need to be limited on medical advice.

'Sitting around' on a course is always more tiring than a person's regular work, especially if you are used to being active & on the go, and also because it is different from your usual day and needs more concentration.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 15th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Telling them that work and driving are making you tired, may end up with you justifying to the nice chaps at DVLA in Swansea that you are fit to drive. Chatting with GOsafe or other safety camera partnerships isn't going to change the choices that the OP has. Personally if it were me, I would take the course. After all what if you missed a NSL sign and got done for driving 52mph in a 30? You'd likely be on 9 points then. Now THAT would make a difference.

A bird in the hand...
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 15th Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Car 54
    I've taught hundreds of people to drive - a few had "learning difficulties", some others were just dim. NONE of them were unaware of the meaning of a red light. All of them readily understood, after a little instruction, what the other light combinations meant.

How can this course possibly last 3.5 hours?
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 15th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    rudekid48
    I've been on one of those courses. You sure it's Birkenhead and not Ellesmere Port?

The course covers a range of offences; not just traffic lights. Most of the people on my course had been caught using their phone.

The course itself is quite relaxed and I did learn a few things. Definitely better than the points.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

1,896Users online

Martin's Twitter