Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • burnleymik
    • By burnleymik 14th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,199Posts
    • 2,961Thanks
    burnleymik
    BT Mobile - Overcharged?
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    BT Mobile - Overcharged? 14th Jun 17 at 1:36 PM
    Any advice appreciated.

I signed up for a BT mobile plan on May 20th for the 6GB sim only package. Basically the sim arrived and the signal was truly awful, despite what their coverage checker showed. So on the 23rd I rang up to cancel and it was confirmed cancelled.

Today I have received a bill from 20th-May to 5th June with a charge and then again from 6th June -5th July.

I checked their terms and conditions and it said you would be charge pro-rata if you cancel, therefore I was thinking I would have to pay the pro-rata cost for the package from 20th May to 23rd May and after that I never touched that sim card again.

I don't understand why I am being billed for the service until 5th July?

I have an email from them confirming the cancellation and at the bottom it mentions there is a 30 day notice period for cancellation of any service. Does this count even if it's within my 14 days statutory rights?

Do I really have to pay for a service that I felt was kind of mis-sold in the first place because I couldn't get coverage where their site showed me I could.
    A smile costs nothing, but gives a lot.
    It enriches those who receive it without making poorer those who give it.
    A smile takes only a moment, but the memory of it can last forever.
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 14th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,523 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    Any advice appreciated.

I signed up for a BT mobile plan on May 20th for the 6GB sim only package. Basically the sim arrived and the signal was truly awful, despite what their coverage checker showed. So on the 23rd I rang up to cancel and it was confirmed cancelled.

Today I have received a bill from 20th-May to 5th June with a charge and then again from 6th June -5th July.

I checked their terms and conditions and it said you would be charge pro-rata if you cancel, therefore I was thinking I would have to pay the pro-rata cost for the package from 20th May to 23rd May and after that I never touched that sim card again.

I don't understand why I am being billed for the service until 5th July?

I have an email from them confirming the cancellation and at the bottom it mentions there is a 30 day notice period for cancellation of any service. Does this count even if it's within my 14 days statutory rights?

Do I really have to pay for a service that I felt was kind of mis-sold in the first place because I couldn't get coverage where their site showed me I could.
    Originally posted by burnleymik
    Have you asked BT Mobile why you are being billed until 5th July?
    What was their response?

Surely they are best positioned to answer that question.
    • burnleymik
    • By burnleymik 14th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    burnleymik
    • 14th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    I spoke to the Indian call centre, but to be honest I was just going round in circles without getting a clear answer as to why that was the bill. She seemed to think that the cancellation was to stop me going into a 12 month contract, or at least I think that is what she meant. To stop the service requires a 30 day notice.

My question is can they charge me for the 30 days notice period, even though I cancelled within a couple of days?
    • bris
    • By bris 14th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 6,656 Posts
    • 5,702 Thanks
    bris
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    You used the service so you don't have 14 days statutory rights, you gave them up the minute you put the sim in the phone and used it. You are now on there T&C's for cancellation.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 14th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:14 PM

My question is can they charge me for the 30 days notice period, even though I cancelled within a couple of days?
    Yes you have to give them 30 days notice and be charged for the 30 days as Bris says once you activate the sim, you waive the 14 days cooling off period and accept their TOS.
    • burnleymik
    • By burnleymik 14th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    burnleymik
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    You used the service so you don't have 14 days statutory rights, you gave them up the minute you put the sim in the phone and used it. You are now on there T&C's for cancellation.
    Originally posted by bris
    Out of interest, their website coverage checker says the service is very good in my area, which is what lead me to order the sim in the first place, but in reality it was terrible. Do I have any recourse on this or do you pays your money and takes your chance when it comes to network coverage?
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 14th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 11,010 Posts
    • 8,272 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    Originally posted by bris
    Using a service is not one of the circumstances in which the right to cancel be lost.

However, nor is the cancellation period 14 days from when the provision of services start. Its 14 days from when the contract is entered into. The supplier must not begin supply of the service within the cancellation period unless the consumer has made an express request. If the service is supplied within the cancellation period at such a request and the consumer then cancels within the cancellation period, the consumer is liable to pay a proportionate amount for services supplied up to the time the consumer informed the trader of their decision to withdraw.

Ofcom may also place further rules/codes of practice on telecoms providers which provide protection beyond the above.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • burnleymik
    • By burnleymik 14th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    burnleymik
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    Using a service is not one of the circumstances in which the right to cancel be lost.

However, nor is the cancellation period 14 days from when the provision of services start. Its 14 days from when the contract is entered into. The supplier must not begin supply of the service within the cancellation period unless the consumer has made an express request. If the service is supplied within the cancellation period at such a request and the consumer then cancels within the cancellation period, the consumer is liable to pay a proportionate amount for services supplied up to the time the consumer informed the trader of their decision to withdraw.

Ofcom may also place further rules/codes of practice on telecoms providers which provide protection beyond the above.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    I saw something along these lines in the T+C's when I was cancelling. Something along the lines of you pay for your pro-rata use if cancelled within the first 14 days, but I can't find anything about that now.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 14th Jun 17, 8:33 PM
    • 11,010 Posts
    • 8,272 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:33 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:33 PM
    Out of interest, their website coverage checker says the service is very good in my area, which is what lead me to order the sim in the first place, but in reality it was terrible. Do I have any recourse on this or do you pays your money and takes your chance when it comes to network coverage?
    The CCRs (which replaced the DSRs in 2014) give rights to cancel for no reason.

They are not concerned with goods/services not conforming to contract as that is covered by separate legislation - the Consumer Rights Act.

The section relating to rights for services (and what remedies are available if breached) can be found here:
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/part/1/chapter/4/enacted
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 14th Jun 17, 8:33 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,523 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Looks like 'you pays your money and takes your chance'.

From their website coverage checker page:
    The results are an estimate but they will give you a good idea of the coverage you can expect

This map cannot guarantee the availability of mobile services in any particular place. That’s because mobile reception can be affected by things like building materials, tree cover and weather conditions.
    • oldharryrocks
    • By oldharryrocks 14th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    oldharryrocks
    They are overcharging you . They can only charge you from the 20th to the 23rd.

Cancelling your service
    You may cancel your service without penalty if you tell us within 14 days from the day after the date we have dispatched your SIM. If you do cancel you will need to pay the subscription charge for your chosen price plan on a pro-rated basis for the period up to the date you cancel the service, plus any out of plan and excluded from your plan charges during the same period.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/mobile-service.html
    Last edited by oldharryrocks; 14-06-2017 at 8:53 PM.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 14th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 11,010 Posts
    • 8,272 Thanks
    unholyangel
    I saw something along these lines in the T+C's when I was cancelling. Something along the lines of you pay for your pro-rata use if cancelled within the first 14 days, but I can't find anything about that now.
    I've just ran through a dummy order.

It says it on the summary screen before final confirmation.

I would like my contract to start as soon as possible.

I understand that I can change my mind within 14 days and will only pay for the services I have used. If I cancel after this time then early termination charges may apply as set out here www.bt.com/termcharges.
    The T&C's found here:
    http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/mobile-service.html

Also state:
    Cancelling your service
    You may cancel your service without penalty if you tell us within 14 days from the day after the date we have dispatched your SIM. If you do cancel you will need to pay the subscription charge for your chosen price plan on a pro-rated basis for the period up to the date you cancel the service, plus any out of plan and excluded from your plan charges during the same period.

Cooling Off Period - means the period from the date this Agreement is made until 14 days after the latest of: (a) the day after the delivery of the Equipment (if any) and SIM Card (if any); (b) the Service Start Date; and (c) the day on which you receive your Order Confirmation.
    The www.bt.com/termcharges link provided seems to redirect to another page that won't load for me because my anti-virus doesn't like it!
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 14th Jun 17, 8:50 PM
    • 11,010 Posts
    • 8,272 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Looks like 'you pays your money and takes your chance'.

From their website coverage checker page:
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    I suppose that depends on if the OP is complaining they couldn't get a signal in their home/workplace or whether the coverage advertised was not available in the area (rather than specific places in that area).
    • burnleymik
    • By burnleymik 14th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    burnleymik
    Thankyou! I am at work now, but will ring them again tomorrow armed with this information.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,070Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin