Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonobo92
    • By Jonobo92 14th Jun 17, 1:31 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Jonobo92
    c. £100k funds, Investment Advice
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:31 PM
    c. £100k funds, Investment Advice 14th Jun 17 at 1:31 PM
    Hi there,

I recently posted in the 'Property' section of the forum (unable to link as I'm a new member), and was essentially advised to come here to ask for more general investment advice.

Basically, I'm graduating university in July and have £90,000 to invest, I'll be living with my brother all expenses paid and, fortunately, am also in a situation where I don't need a regular job. Also, buying my own property outright isn't necessary or needed right now, I'd really like to invest all £90k in a bid to return as much as possible, with minimal risk (naturally!).

My question, then, is really quite general: how should I invest this £90k to see the best returns?

Initially, I thought property would make sense as my brother currently owns two properties he lets out, however having had my wild price estimations (see in the original thread) debunked by those who know what they're talking about, I've begun to think more broadly about where to invest.

I'm really not very educated in business, finance and investment, and so I apologise if what I say/suggest is blatantly wrong, or if my figures are wildly inaccurate, but I'm keen to make this money grow.

I have read briefly about REITs, and with them being in the property sector, I thought they could be quite good?

All advice welcome, thanks.
Page 2
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 15th Jun 17, 5:37 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Audaxer
    If you think about it most working people have their pension, perhaps several hundreds of thousands of pounds, with a single provider. Do you think you are suffering from paralysis by analysis?
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    Fair point. If however someone did choose to have two slightly different multi asset funds - like VLS and HSBC - would it make a portfolio more diverse or do you think it would in some way negatively affect the portfolio as regards total return?
    Last edited by Audaxer; 15-06-2017 at 5:53 PM.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 15th Jun 17, 5:44 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Why cant a "mutual company" go bust? Mutual building societies in the UK have gone bust. In any case you are talking about the US company. According to Companies House, Vanguard Investments UK limited is a private limited company.

A better answer is the investments arent owned by the company and so cant be used to pay its debts. The investments remain the property of the unit holders no matter what happens to the company.
    Originally posted by Linton
    I never said a mutual company can't go bust, Vanguard is structured as a mutual company with the funds and Vanguard as separate legal entities. The customers own the funds and the funds own Vanguard. That particular structure is the important thing.
    Last edited by bostonerimus; 15-06-2017 at 5:49 PM.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 15th Jun 17, 6:01 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Thanks Linton. Although I appreciate it is very unlikely, I thought there was a slight possibility of losing your investment and having to claim through the FSCS if there was a major fraud in a fund house?
    Originally posted by Audaxer
    The only way you'll lose money in a Vanguard fund (or really any big regulated platform) is from good old poor performance of the fund's investment portfolio or by buying a dog of an investment and not reading the Ts&Cs carefully. I have a lot more than £90k in single US Vanguard mutual funds and I sleep soundly.....and I'm a bit of a worrier.
    Last edited by bostonerimus; 15-06-2017 at 6:06 PM.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • squeeks
    • By squeeks 15th Jun 17, 6:27 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    squeeks
    As the stock market fluctuates, I would be reluctant to drop all my funds into the stock market at once into a single fund, but would rather drip feed over several years.

I would also say that the stock market has been fairly buoyant at the moment, so may be due a bit of a dip.

But as always do your own research, it may well be worth while paying for some advice from a professional or two who can give you a personalised recommendation.

Be aware that it isn't uncommon for stocks to fluctuate (down as well as up!) by a couple of % a day...
    • darkidoe
    • By darkidoe 15th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    darkidoe
    I would also say that the stock market has been fairly buoyant at the moment, so may be due a bit of a dip..
    Originally posted by squeeks
    i say that to myself as well and I am sure many people do that as well. But realistically I don't think you can say when a dip is due until it is here... Always very tempting to make judgement calls like that...

Interest rates are definitely due a rise though. Would be interesting to learn what it does to the markets.

Save 12K in 2017 # 9 £7 616.65/15 000 (50.78%)
    Save 12K in 2016 # 8 £19 721.58/12 000 (164.35%) Achieved!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,154Posts Today

8,347Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iamemmahill: After watching @MartinSLewis I rang my provider & asked them to recalculate my bill &it has gone from £81 to £51 a month.S?

• Seriously? How is this supporting Uber... IT'S A POLL! I do em ever day on topical subjects. And I've never promote? https://t.co/JrlxaoNLlY

• RT @Mum2DDSophie: @MartinSLewis Thanks for your advice! I have easily switched from Extra Energy standard tariff to another supplier and wi?

• Follow Martin