Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Brummum11
    • By Brummum11 14th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Brummum11
    How to Print barcode labels?
    • 14th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    How to Print barcode labels? 14th Jun 17 at 12:03 PM
    Sorry for the Strange question but I run a small business and I want to print numbered labels, ideally with a barcode like these https://www.customlabels.co.uk/asset-labels

I just want to print them on normal paper but can't work out a way to get them numbered sequentially. Anyone know of a way or any software I could use?
Page 1
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 14th Jun 17, 1:42 PM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 2,583 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:42 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:42 PM
    You are at least a step ahead of yourself!
    You need to know which barcode system you want/need to use. There are several.

Presumably you will have barcode readers which work on one system or another, or the barcodes must be read by someone else's readers....
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 14th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    It's a while since I did it so I can't remember the exact details but I used to print barcode labels using Excel with a purchased barcode font - Excel's formulae could be used to generate ascending counts, encode the date/time etc.

The software I'm familiar with at the moment is Bartender and Easylabel but those may be massive overkill for what you're wanting, I'm not sure how basic a package they go down to.

John
    • MoneyMoney
    • By MoneyMoney 14th Jun 17, 2:46 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MoneyMoney
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:46 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:46 PM
    Ok so a lot depends on your circumstances, why do you require Barcodes not just labels, what volume of Barcodes will you print, what platform will you print from.

To assume small volume from a pc to serial number products....

You will want a dedicated label printer, these can be as cheap as a £100. If you plan on printing more than a few and especially if you will print them as you need them (not print a batch off) then please get a dedicated label printer. You will need a barcode scanner, mostly these are 2d (standard barcodes) and cheap, they are pretty much all the same the expensive ones are just more durable for some environments such as warehouses. Most importantly you will need the right software that will do what you want with the barcodes, so keep them in a database etc. You may also need a barcode designer package to draw your barcode label with. Most shipping companies will allow you to print barcodes from their website but your printer must meet their label specifications.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    • 25,273 Posts
    • 10,033 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    Copy and paste codes from your shopping basket
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • toshi
    • By toshi 14th Jun 17, 7:29 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    toshi
    • 14th Jun 17, 7:29 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 7:29 PM
    I am not sure exactly what you want to do. But you need barcode fonts.

Have you got barcode fonts? Here is open source GPL fonts, for example.

http://grandzebu.net/informatique/codbar-en/codbar.htm

If you are not sure, download the below.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openbarcodes/

This include a small programme code39.exe, you can use this but if you would make many labels, I would suggest to make barcode list with Excel (If you select "Code 3 de 9" font, you will get the Barcode), then import to Word (Mail marge, Label printing etc) You should be able to pirnt barcode labels.

I just tested with LibreOffice with this font, It works fine to me. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by toshi; 14-06-2017 at 9:33 PM. Reason: link correction
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 15th Jun 17, 9:53 AM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:53 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:53 AM
    Alernatively - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Labels-Index-Dividers-Stamps/Amazon-Barcode-printed-stickering-Delivered/B00B0C2TQA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1497516638&sr=8-11&keywords=barcode+printer
    They will print up to 250 barcode labels for you - £8.99
    You can scan them with an app !!!
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 15th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 12,997 Posts
    • 11,072 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    At its simplest you use a code 3 of 9 font, but be aware you also need to add start and end markers and possibly wish to add checksums.
    • Brummum11
    • By Brummum11 15th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Brummum11
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to just get them professionally done rather than mess around. Thanks again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,278Posts Today

8,387Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin