Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 14th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 541Posts
    • 220Thanks
    dunroving
    Storing house contents between moves?
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    Storing house contents between moves? 14th Jun 17 at 11:47 AM
    I am thinking about selling my house before I buy my next (and hopefully final) house and would like to keep my house contents in storage, possibly for several weeks or months in between. I know some people who did something similar, but the removal company took everything out of the removal van, put it into storage and then put it all back into the removal van when they moved to their next house. The unpacking and packing from/to the van/storage was quite expensive.
    When I moved internationally, all my stuff was put in a shipping container and was subsequently stored in the shipping container until I was ready to move into my new house. This therefore did not require unpacking/repacking of a van, because the shipping container was simply unloaded and loaded onto/off a shipping truck. Is it possible to do something like this within the UK?
Page 1
    • martindow
    • By martindow 15th Jun 17, 10:10 AM
    • 7,264 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    martindow
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:10 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:10 AM
    Yes some removal companies have the same system of loading your things into containers and storing them. Pickfords for instance

http://www.pickfords.co.uk/short-term-storage

You need to be sure you stop them packing things you will need as it is not possible to access the containers until they are delivered to your new house. I imagine you are well aware of that from your previous move!

You will also need to check the insurance arrangements.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 15th Jun 17, 10:31 AM
    • 23,955 Posts
    • 50,684 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:31 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:31 AM
    I moved within the UK some years ago and all my stuff went into storage for about three months in containers. It worked well. I used GB Liners for my move and found them to be very helpful.

http://gbliners.com/storage/containerised-storage
    Last edited by LandyAndy; 15-06-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,233Posts Today

6,836Users online

Martin's Twitter