Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bigmattf
    • By Bigmattf 14th Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bigmattf
    Cancelling due to price rise - outstanding balance?
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    Cancelling due to price rise - outstanding balance? 14th Jun 17 at 11:04 AM
    I am with Plusnet fibre. They recently increased their prices so I informed them within about 5 days I intended to leave. I asked them to confirm I could cancel the contract with no fees due to the price rise, they said yes. The same day I arranged a new supplier. I have now received a bill from Plusnet for £200ish saying this is the charge for future payments due up to 2018 when my contract would have expired had I not cancelled. Should I have to pay this? I thought a contract cancelled due to a price rise should not involve paying for the future payments? This is also not what I was told on the telephone.
Page 1
    • bubblesbonbon
    • By bubblesbonbon 14th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    bubblesbonbon
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    Ofcom
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    This might help

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/help/cancel-contract-price-goes-up
    "It's nice to be important but more important to be nice"

John Templeton 1912-2008
    • Bigmattf
    • By Bigmattf 14th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bigmattf
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    Yes or no
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    Thanks, this is the same as dozens of articles out there but it just says no penalty charges. Are the remaining monthly charges a penalty?

Would be very useful to hear from someone who has been through this process.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 14th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    I left Plusnet fibre last August due to the price rises, 15 months through an 18 month contract.

I spoke to PN at the time and said that I was not happy with the increase. They would not reduce their price, so I told them I was leaving.

I contacted my new provider, Origin, who handled the whole process very smoothly and with no real break in service.

Plusnet then refunded the remainder of my September payment (minus the days I was with them before the changeover) at the end of September.

There was certainly no penalty.
    • Bigmattf
    • By Bigmattf 14th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bigmattf
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    That's brilliant, I have also moved to Origin so glad to hear it went well. I'll call them again! Thank you.
    • Daniel2017
    • By Daniel2017 14th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Daniel2017
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    What do you expect from a company owned by bt. Don't take it and go to the ombudsman if they try to make you pay up. I hope you get sorted out mate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,284Posts Today

7,781Users online

Martin's Twitter