Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sunnykappy
    • By sunnykappy 14th Jun 17, 10:41 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sunnykappy
    Faulty solar panels - suggestions welcome
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:41 AM
    Faulty solar panels - suggestions welcome 14th Jun 17 at 10:41 AM
    Hello Friends,

We had solar panels fitted 5 years ago. Two and a half years ago, they packed up and have generated nothing since then. I have contacted the supplier (gone bost), his supplier (went bust) and the manufacturer in China (bust). All the suggestions from those parties have failed to resolve the issues and I didn't get much help either from trade bodies such as the RECC, or the government either...

A salesman visited from Solar Plants this week. He was confident that his team could get the system up and running, but it would cost £5k. Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback which they could share about Solar Plants? I am reluctant to invest £5k further (already £10k in the hole) - unless it is extremely likely that Solar Plants can deliver a solution which will work long-term.

Alternatively, does anyone know any (very) good solar repair teams?

Many thanks!
Page 1
    • The Green Hornet
    • By The Green Hornet 14th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    The Green Hornet
    • 14th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    I suggest the first thing to do would be to get your system checked out by a qualified electrician to find out why it has failed.

You can search for one here or here.
    Last edited by The Green Hornet; 14-06-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    6 x Sharp 220 W panels. 1.32 kWp. SMA Sunny Boy 1200 inverter. South facing 30 degree pitch roof with no shading. Eco-eye SmartPV monitor + energyhive.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 14th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 3,129 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    Hello Friends,

We had solar panels fitted 5 years ago. Two and a half years ago, they packed up and have generated nothing since then. I have contacted the supplier (gone bost), his supplier (went bust) and the manufacturer in China (bust). All the suggestions from those parties have failed to resolve the issues and I didn't get much help either from trade bodies such as the RECC, or the government either...

A salesman visited from Solar Plants this week. He was confident that his team could get the system up and running, but it would cost £5k. Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback which they could share about Solar Plants? I am reluctant to invest £5k further (already £10k in the hole) - unless it is extremely likely that Solar Plants can deliver a solution which will work long-term.

Many thanks!
    Originally posted by sunnykappy
    I'm no expert, but 5K would get you a whole new system by todays prices.
    • Dave Fowler
    • By Dave Fowler 14th Jun 17, 9:10 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    Dave Fowler
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:10 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:10 PM
    Two fairly simple things to check -

1. Is there a display on the generation meter?

2. Is there any display on the inverter - perhaps a light or an error code?

With this information it should be possible to narrow down where the fault is.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jun 17, 12:11 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:11 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:11 AM
    Are the panels in several sections, so Solar Plants could prove there word on just one ? I'd have thought the panels themselves would be quite robust, so it would be just the electronics to control them, and £5K sounds a lot for that ; being 50 % of the total.
    • tunnel
    • By tunnel 15th Jun 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2,494 Posts
    • 7,636 Thanks
    tunnel
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:27 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:27 PM
    We had solar panels fitted 5 years ago. Two and a half years ago, they packed up and have generated nothing since then.

Originally posted by sunnykappy
    Surely this is a wind up!! Nobody in their right minds would leave collecting the FiT for two and a half years and then ask in their very first post if anyone knows a good repair team.
    Depending on the date of install in 2012 you could have earnt the £5k in FiTs(assuming a 4kWp system) to replace the whole system. Doesn't take a mathematician to work it out.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
    • sunnykappy
    • By sunnykappy 18th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sunnykappy
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    Thank you!
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    Dear All,

Many thanks for your suggestions. Have tried most of these (with no success) but there's one idea which I'll be taking forward.

Best wishes.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 18th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    • 19,025 Posts
    • 87,311 Thanks
    michaels
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    I'm no expert, but 5K would get you a whole new system by todays prices.
    Originally posted by lstar337
    I wonder what the rules are on 'repairs' involving wholesale replacement before it becomes a new system and the original FIT no longer valid?
    Cool heads and compromise
    • sunnykappy
    • By sunnykappy 27th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sunnykappy
    • 27th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    Good ideas
    • 27th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    Thanks for mentioning this. I liaised with the F-It provider and they confirmed that it still fits the original defintion.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

965Posts Today

7,138Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin