Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • heidiann
    • By heidiann 14th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    heidiann
    Professional Indemnity Insurance
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    Professional Indemnity Insurance 14th Jun 17 at 10:32 AM
    Does anyone know if professional indemnity insurance protects you for clients outside of the UK?

I'm a freelance designer who operates as a Limited company, the majority of my clients have been in the UK but I will be acquiring some new business that is US based and want to be sure I'm covered in the event that any unfortunate issues arise.
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 14th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 703 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    What does your policy wording say?
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 14th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    mattk_180
    • 14th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    They're usually worldwide with a higher deductible (excess) for claims brought about in the USA, however I would suggest the same as paddy - your policy wording or a quick call to your insurer will confirm.
    • thermalaudio
    • By thermalaudio 14th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    thermalaudio
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    I have my Professional Indemnity Insurance though Hiscox in the UK and it covers me Worldwide plus Worldwide Jurisdictions (excluding USA & Canada). You should find the wording & exclusions in a document called: Policy Schedule & Statement of Fact.

Hope that helps.
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 15th Jun 17, 7:23 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:23 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:23 AM
    This is often a choice / question you are asked when buying which again usually affects the price paid. Some will ask what % of you trade us abroad and especially in the USA.

Once you have checked and if not it should be possible to "upgrade".

However if you change insurers - be careful to ensure you get/ have retroactive cover.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

322Posts Today

3,814Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin