Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adi0604
    • By adi0604 14th Jun 17, 10:09 AM
    • 25Posts
    • 3Thanks
    adi0604
    0 WOW
    Speeding fine in New Zealand, please help!
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:09 AM
    0 WOW
    Speeding fine in New Zealand, please help! 14th Jun 17 at 10:09 AM
    Hi All,
    Recently rec'd speeding fine notice from NZ police, it was a rental car company who gave my details to NZ police and now it's in my name and address in the UK.

Please can someone who was in the similar situation help advise or share experience?

Should I just ignore or ask for proofs as they have not sent any evidence etc. Really not sure how I got caught as roads in NZ are single lane and deserted. Was driving alone for over 200Kms and got caught 6am.

I have no intention of going back in the next 3years.

Any help on this much appreciated.
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 14th Jun 17, 11:06 AM
    • 12,389 Posts
    • 16,559 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:06 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:06 AM
    You're guilty. Pay it.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 17,855 Posts
    • 13,549 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    What would you have done if it had happened in the UK? Do the same in this case. Simple!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    • 29,507 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    Pay it is the right thing to do.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 7,232 Posts
    • 7,267 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    Can you find out who exactly issued the demand or who it asks you to pay to?

I've read before about NZ selling-off the overseas tickets/fines to commercial debt collectors. So if this is the case, you are no more required to pay than anyone else with a demand from these jokers.

If its asking you tp pay a legit authority, then heading to Pepipoo would probably be the best thing to do.
    • adi0604
    • By adi0604 16th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    adi0604
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    Thanks for your suggestion on Pepipoo.
    Its issued from NZ Police and $240 bit steep, clearly money making objective. Also not sure on alleged offence.

Was only looking for a reply from someone in similar situation!!

If it was UK I would have asked for proofs and would have been offered course as no endorsements.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 16th Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    • 10,943 Posts
    • 14,219 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    Hi All,
    Recently rec'd speeding fine notice from NZ police, it was a rental car company who gave my details to NZ police and now it's in my name and address in the UK.

Please can someone who was in the similar situation help advise or share experience?

Should I just ignore or ask for proofs as they have not sent any evidence etc. Really not sure how I got caught as roads in NZ are single lane and deserted. Was driving alone for over 200Kms and got caught 6am.

I have no intention of going back in the next 3years.

Any help on this much appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Originally posted by adi0604
    Where were you in NZ?

I lived in Auckland for a year and most of the main city roads weren't single lane and deserted - they were multi lane and often busy.

Oh, and I'd pay it too.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    • 8,269 Posts
    • 12,530 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    Do NZ courts have any jurisdiction in the U.K.? Op, are you intending on returning to NZ?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 16th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 5,342 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    Thanks for your suggestion on Pepipoo.
    Its issued from NZ Police and $240 bit steep, clearly money making objective. Also not sure on alleged offence.

Was only looking for a reply from someone in similar situation!!

If it was UK I would have asked for proofs and would have been offered course as no endorsements.
    Originally posted by adi0604
    You're only offered a course in certain circumstances.

Also some insurers are now asking whether you've been on a speed awareness course
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • meer53
    • By meer53 16th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 8,772 Posts
    • 12,735 Thanks
    meer53
    You can still ask for proof ? Contact the NZ Police ?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 16th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 6,556 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    You're only offered a course in certain circumstances.

Also some insurers are now asking whether you've been on a speed awareness course
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    While I would never advocate fibbing on an insurance proposal form, the insurers have NIL access to any database about speed awareness course attendance,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin