Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AllTheHelpICanGet
    • By AllTheHelpICanGet 14th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    • 29Posts
    • 3Thanks
    AllTheHelpICanGet
    Advice on DMP appreciated
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    Advice on DMP appreciated 14th Jun 17 at 9:50 AM
    Hi all,

I'm not new to this forum but I haven't visited for a while and I couldn't remember my login so I've had to rejoin!

I've been in a DMP with stepchange now for around 8 years and all is going well with my debts slowly being reduced although I do have another 15 years to go. Ideally, I would like to bring forward my debt free date and there's something I am considering that I would really appreciate your thoughts on...

If I was to switch to a self-managed DMP I believe I would have more flexibility towards what I offer my creditors and to offering F&F settlements. Is this correct? For example, some of my debts are no longer visible on my credit report so I was thinking that if I reduced the payments I made to them this would enable me (hopefully) to save up some amounts that could then be offered as F&F's. I am apprehensive about my creditors' reactions to me self-managing; what are people's experience of their creditors' reactions to this? As I have been doing it so long already with a good history of payments are they likely to be more receptive? Also, at this stage into a DMP what % would you offer initially as a F&F?

In addition, the majority of my creditors have now dropped off my credit file totally -is there anything that can now do to put anything negative on my file or as the six years has passed since the default can they not adversely affect it anymore? Would they still be able to apply for a CCJ and are they likely to do this if I am continuing to make regular payments?

Also, there is the possibility that I will be moving abroad in the relatively near future; am I correct in thinking that if this happens I would have to self-manage my DMP?

All opinions appreciated and welcome! Many thanks :-)
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,212Posts Today

8,212Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin